HELP HELP HELP,wife not interested

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 26, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 197 Views:2847 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Much to my dissapiontment my wife does not want to travel or show much interset in 4wding. How can i persway her to have a go. any ideas would be helpful.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim - Thursday, Apr 26, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 26, 2001 at 00:00
How about ;"You are the weakest link, Goodbye"
No, seriuosly, if u go away and come home raving about all the fun u had and how good it was, I think she might come around.
Tim
AnswerID: 375

Follow Up By: Matt - Thursday, May 31, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 31, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks to everyone who replied in my hour of need.I found the comments quite funny(so did the misses).We plan on some short trips soon. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 148

Reply By: Jenny - Thursday, Apr 26, 2001 at 00:00

Your wife must be crazy not to want to go on such exciting 4WD adventures! I jump at every chance I have to see the countryside. There is nothing more exciting and invigorating than getting around 4WD ing. Tell her that Ill go with you instead!!! hehehe P.S. Where do you live?
AnswerID: 377

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Thursday, Apr 26, 2001 at 00:00

Matt,maybe you should offer a Myers gift voucher or a Gold Visa card....ha ha
Cheers Joe
AnswerID: 379

Reply By: Will - Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00
Matt,
I have the same dilemma. I went through everything, for ten years I have been buying a camper trailer,
off road caravan, different types of tents, all the conveniences ie: fridge, movies through my laptop and DVD,went on club trips, sand driving, bush driving, bush/nice hotes
combinations, nothing works.... Now I just leave her behind and take my two daughters, they keep asking how come mum doesnt like
camping???
I went to Cape York last year and it was so dissapointing to see such nice places, pristine creeks and
lovelly trips to Thursday Island, Cairns etc and she wasnt there....
I have done everything!! you name it I have done it.... Now she has showed some interest in coming
with us to the Kimberley next year.
All I can say is best of luck!!!!
AnswerID: 381

Follow Up By: Jenny - Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00

Hi Will!
I hope your wife does go with you because she is missing out on something so wonderful!!! Your daughters are very lucky to have such a great dad who loves adventure.
I am interested to hear that you went to Cape York last year. Id love to hear more about it. Did you go with a tag-a-long company or by yourself? We are wanting to go there probably next year. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
FollowupID: 77

Follow Up By: Will - Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00

Jenny,
I belong to a 4wd club but the trip to Cape York was with a group of friends I met thorugh the club.
It was awesome, visit my web page, www.ozemail.com.au/~kaulw we did not have any problems but you
need to be well prepared to have a trouble free holiday.... My next big one is the Kimberleys and I hope my wife
comes, I am thinking of hiring a camper trailer. I got everything I need and I am well prepared with recovery gear
and all the things like fridge, dual batteries etc, to be honest I dont rough it up at all, I have a shower every day
while camping and wash my clothes, keep fresh food (basically there is no compromise), I think that some hotels
dont have the things some of us have on our camping trips.
FollowupID: 79

Reply By: Robert- Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00

Dont trade in the 4x4 - Trade in the wife!
AnswerID: 384

Robert,
I tired that too, unfortunatelly cannot leave without either of them, I love camping and 4wdriving but I also love my wife to death.
FollowupID: 80

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00

Matt, my father had the same trouble with my Mum and after 3 years things have finally taken a massive turn around. But it had nothing to do with all the comforts he kept buying her - plush self-inflating bed, the softest car seat, the best car stereo for her onboard Opera House, even letting her take control of the driving (otherwise she falls asleep of bordeom looking at "another bl**** gumtree"). The answer was in a new hobby - photography. She has realised that she can win the city competitions by submitting beautiful photos of places people have rarely seen (great sunsets, amazing gorges, arid scrub, tiny animals, macros of flowers etc). This works perfectly for Dad, cause now he can travel slowly and stop frequently when she cries... "Stop, back up, I see an eagle!" so they both get to appreciate the great outdoors, rather than race from motel to motel. Maybe you can encourage her to find a hobby that will interest her on her travels - eg. collecting shells or flowers for craft back at home? or gem fossicking? or using the quiet away from home to write a book? is she a good cook - there is a need for more good camp books (but shed need to practise a lot first !! hint hint!). I do wish you luck - keep trying, something will work. Tell her it really means a lot to you and like someone else said, if all else fails, bribe her with a gift voucher from DJs! Tell her, Ill even post a human interest story about her on the ExplorOz website if she converts!
AnswerID: 385

Michelle,
Any other hints? I tried them already, I think boating/kayaking is the only thing I havent tried yet...
Will
FollowupID: 81

Follow Up By: Michelle - Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00

Mat, canoeing is a great idea as there are some fantasic places for it such as Lawn Hill Gorge NP (Qld) -not far from Mt Isa. It is one my top 5 places in Australia. How about "painting" - I also tried this (very difficult, but also makes you keen to visit the local galleries in small towns and Broken Hill is excellent for inspiration). How about "music" - learn something new without fear of annoying the neighbours, like a pan flute (nice South American ones made of bamboo with coloured cotton are very funky)or a flute, saxaphone or guitar?How about filming a video for the Grandkids memories get a digital video so that it will still be compatible with the kids latest equipment and you can send tapes home of your antics.I guess "fishing" is out of the question... too messy/smelly?Some people get a buzz out of the Corner Quest - visiting each corner of each state; another alternative to this is visiting the most easterly, westerly, northerly and southerly points of Australia (its a thing to say youve done!).One thing I like is reading a book about the history of the explorer/pioneer associated with a town were about to visit, eg. the Kennedy/Sommerset families for a Cape York visit; Sidney Kidman the cattle king for an Oodnadatta trip;Or get her to plan the itinery, ie. choose where she wants to go and then work out how to get there - I am the navigator of our family, I tell David where to go (hee hee) and he makes sure we get there safely etc.Take up Scuba Diving or snorkelling - there are the magic fresh water ponds around Mt Gambier and Australia has the best coastline for watersports - even bribe her with a trip to Port Douglas maybe?Oh dear, Ive about given up myself now... good luck and let us know if anything comes of it!
FollowupID: 82

Reply By: Michele - Monday, Apr 30, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 30, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Matt,
Could it simply be that your wife is unsure of the unknown. Lets face it, it is a big place out there and the thought of long distances between places and other people may be overwhelming. We are currently planning our first "4x4 trip". I am excited with all the preparation and also quite apprehensive about it as well. Will we be able to do it... Yes because we are starting of small and working our way up to the major trips. I worry how the three kids will handle the big trip as well. Does your wife know any other wives that have done 4wdriving? Maybe she could talk to one of them.
Hope this helps
Goodluck and happy camping.
Michele
AnswerID: 397

Follow Up By: Jenny - Tuesday, May 01, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 01, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Michele,
We are new at it too and it is SO MUCH FUN.
We have three kids, 9, 8 and 6 and we are now looking for some excitement in our lives and 4Wheel driving fits the bill!!!
We just did our first trip over Easter for 6 days and loved it.
However we learnt alot and I have to change a few things. If you want more information just send me an email and I may be able to give you some tips.
We are going to go to Cape York next year and just cant wait.
Why doesnt your family consider coming along too.
We are going on a tag-a-long tour which is fully catered so that takes the stress out of the trip as well. Ill give you all the details if you are interested. Where do you live and how old are your children...girls/boys etc?
Looking forward to hearing from you
Jenny
FollowupID: 86

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, May 02, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 02, 2001 at 00:00
Matt,

I have a similar although much lesser problem with my wife where she doesnt like real 4WDing and gets bored with the long bitumen hauls necessary to get anywhere. She would also be happier staying in a 5 star resort than in a tent, but the places we want to go dont often have those facilities so it doesnt come up very often.

Anyway, my compromise has been to limit the really rough 4WDing to those times she is in camp reading and sipping a Chardonnay. This works well so long as I dont just leave her alone for days !

For the long haul stuff, I have usually offered to buy her an air ticket to an airfield near wherever we are going so that I do the drive and she gets to fly and be picked up.
The great thing is that she has never taken me up on this yet - whether it is the cost of the flight or just the guilt associated with leaving me to do all the driving I do not know. The end result is that she positively chooses to go with me, but is happy that I made the offer to accommodate her.

Cool eh ? Just dont tell her I said so !

Once we are settled into a camp she is quite happy and content, so alls well that ends well etc.

Good luck

Joe
AnswerID: 407

Reply By: Stephen Mills - Sunday, May 06, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, May 06, 2001 at 00:00
My better half never wanted to go outback but at a push, and after I had bought a landcruiser, aussie traveller roof top tent, 4wd interior drawers. engel fridge etc., hf transceiver, winch lights etc, now she absolutely loves it! Puts up with the Pommie Showers until a good clean camp ground is found with all facilities etc.

Remember this one is a five star traveller so who knows if you do it right she may actually enjoy it all-- the outback is something special and we have always travelled on our own, musy admit she does like to camp within cooee of another group!

steve
AnswerID: 432

Reply By: Allan - Sunday, May 06, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, May 06, 2001 at 00:00
Popular question – I have to admit my wife was sceptical to start with as well, partly the thought of ‘roughing it’ – and partly the thought of leaving the house & contents to our teenage ‘ankle biters’. One of the rules we have always maintained is to always have a shower before going to bed. A quick hot shower does not use much water and certainly revives most women. One billy of hot water mixed with a bucket of cold is all that is needed to shower 2 people. We made up a small portable shower using a submersible pump with a waterproof pushbutton switch that you operate with your feet. Simple & cheap way of having some of the little luxuries in life. Being well prepared is a good start and after one trip, the memories of all the friends you meet on the way is enough to make them change their minds. Try going with friends because sometimes they like to have some female company. As for leaving the children at home – well ours survived and you have to give them some responsibility at some time.
Good luck
Allan
AnswerID: 435

Reply By: Tim - Saturday, May 26, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, May 26, 2001 at 00:00
Matt, Good luck in persauding the fairer sex into something that they dont want to do - I had the same problem some years ago until agreement was reached to try it ONCE and since that epic journey the minister for wars has taken over the role to such an extent that I now drive the family sedan and that we are onto our ninth four wheel drive (each one collecting more gear) and every year we do at least one epic journey. To your fair partner in crime - I encourage to try it ONCE and if you dont like stay at home the next time, Regards,a happy camping/travelling family of four
AnswerID: 539

Reply By: Sandy , (Michelle's Mum) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 09, 2001 at 00:00
Matt, I didn't want to 4wd as I thought it would take time away from my passion of Scuba diving.Our first trip to the Great Ocean Road was beautiful, not 4wdriving but a chance for me to see how camping these days compared to the early days, (crawling into a 2 man tent.)I was impressed, but the real bonus for me was the absolute joy I found in DRIVING our fabulos diesel Nissan Patrol. I love the sound, it's a real vehicle. If I'm not driving I can't help falling to sleep eventhough I might miss a photo oportunity.It is terribly boring being half asleep. We are off to the Kimberly in June as well. Maybe your wife is afraid of the romantic side of getting away from the usual bed into a snug double sleeping bag! Good luck.
AnswerID: 618

Sponsored Links