HF and BPL interference

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 20:55
ThreadID: 19706 Views:2270 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
For those who wish to raise their concerns at the porposed BPL, looks like they will be calling for input and queries in the coming months:

Broadband Grid Rules Closer

Broadband grid rules closer
Staff writers
JANUARY 21, 2005
THE communications regulator may soon seek public input on regulations for delivering broadband over powerlines.

The Australian Communications Authority (ACA) said it planned issue a discussion paper on technology for delivering broadband over powerlines (BPL) in April.

However, an ACA spokesman said that the regulator wouldn't be able to put a firm time-line on the release of the final regulations until the discussion paper was released.

"The challenge for the ACA is to set regulatory arrangements that do not unnecessarily inhibit the adoption of BPL but at the same time protect radio communications from harmful interference," ACA acting chairman Bob Horton said.

The establishment of BPL standard could provide a cheap, alternative last-mile infrastructure for delivering broadband to household at speeds up to 20 Mbps. It could also give householder a simple method for interconnecting household devices.

Three electricity companies are conducting trials of the technology in Australia. Energy Australia and Country Energy are currently trialling the technology in Newcastle and Queanbeyan respectively, while Aurora Energy is testing BPL in Tasmania.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:15

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:15
I hope i am wrong , or should i say i hope the friends i have in IT are wrong. July 2005 is when i will happen???
AnswerID: 94573

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:50

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:50
You can also get updates on the trials at these web sites :
http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/dcrie/BPL.htm
http:/www.wia.org.au

There is also an article on the subject in the latest VKS-737 Network News for all those VKS-737 members.
AnswerID: 94582

Reply By: David Au - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:04

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:04
The sooner BPL is right around Australia to serve the 1½ million people for broadband Internet the better it will be.
The selfish hand full of antiquated HF users will have to update their technology so the wonderful people of the outback can have a great quality high speed Internet service.
It is amazing how selfesh a small group of HF users are wanting to deny the outback people this service.
AnswerID: 94733

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:28

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:28
David what dya know about this technology? From what I can glean from the trial report for Queanbeyan the BPL will use the overhead/underground reticulation of powerlines to get the broadband out to homes in a 5 km radius from a Broadband "hub" at an exchange. I havent seen anyone saying theyre going to transmit it across the high voltage or subtransmission lines that criss-cross the eastern seaboard of Oz, nor are there linkages from these lines to central Australia, the only outback risk to communications as I see it would be in say communities or towns such as Birdsville where there is a small area of overhead lines to a number of houses, and even then they have to get the broadband to the "hub" anyways, somehow, maybe Telstra will get it there.

Outside these small pockets of overhead electricity reticulation the HF would be just as good. Thinking though, most of the HF base stations would probably be inside the powerlined areas, therein may lie the problem.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 353616

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:41

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:41
Sorry, Just re-read my Followup David, I didn't mean..."What would you know?????", I meant..... "What additional info do you know about how this BPL thing worx?"

Picking your brain, not tryig to insert something to get a reaction. Again, sorry of it came over that way.

Regards

Bonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 353617

Follow Up By: hl - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:10

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:10
Outback Internet via power lines?
In your dreams, David.
This technology is madness, not just from a technical point of view.
The spin has certainly taken over the realities, like it often does these days. The infrastructure to support BPL is not unlike that required for ADSL and Wireless. There are lots of "nodes" needed which still need to be fed by some other high speed technology such as fibre. BPL by itself works only over very short distances.
It would certainly be less expensive to install wireless nodes in small outback communities than run BPL.
The "Spin Doctors" want you to believe that they can pump data into the network at Brisbane and it comes out in Birdsville at a mere 200Mb/s.
It is not like that at all. If you look at all the care and technolgy that goes into designing high speed data networks using media DESIGNED for the job and still think you can do the same with a noisy power grid, you need to look at the facts.
Cheers
FollowupID: 353657

Sponsored Links