Canning Stock Route

Submitted: Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 01:43
ThreadID: 19712 Views:1816 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking at travelling the Canning Stock Route later this year. I have a 6cyl petrol vehicle and I estimate I will need to carry about 270l of fuel with refuelling at Well33 - I have long range tanks that will carry about 160l.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best wy to carry the additional 110l of fuel necessary?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:35

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:35
Essentially , you have no choice.

Either IN the vehicle , or , on the roof on a roof rack.

No way would I have it IN the vehicle , so it would be up on top for me.

Not the ideal solution , but , whats gotta be done , has to be done.

What I would be doing though is rather then 25l fuel drums , use smaller ones , 5 or 10l. OK , need more etc , but , not as high , can spread them out more , and dont slosh around as much as a half empty 25l.

The trick would be to fill up at EVERY opportunity , as to ease the load on the roof , and why the smaller ones may work better.
AnswerID: 94628

Reply By: howie - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:39

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:39
no way round carrying 20l jerry's but,
buy new jerry's and fill some/all of them with water,use this water until you get to well 33.
also, load up you 4wd with all your gear for the trip and go for a dry(or wet) run in somes dunes.
my mate took out his back seats and installed a big metal fuel tank (rover v8), the other had a 44gal drum (landcruiser trayback).
AnswerID: 94633

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 15:58

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 15:58
I used up 331 lts of petrol from Bililuna to Well 23 which included a side trip to Helena Spring which was an extra 180km. My old FJ 55 was a guzzler but even with a new vehicle you will be lucky getting 4km/l Work out your distances and carry fuel accordingly. My '55 had a 200lt tank and I carried another 140lts inside the truck after having removed the rear seat. If you need that space the jerries will have to go on the roof.

Go to my website below to read a diary of the Canning trip if you wish
AnswerID: 94675

Reply By: signman - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 16:18

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 16:18
Firstly, ENSURE fuel will be available at your nominated points BEFORE you venture onto the CSR.
Last year (2004) Capricorn roadhouse did not do many drops due to the road conditions from their depot. so don't depend on petrol at well 23. The aboriginal sites do not allow ULP to be stored, with the options of diesel or avgas. At Kunawarritji (near well 33) ULP can be ordered in advance..but don't be 100% sure its gonna be there with the road conditions varying very quickly.
Are you going on your own or with other vehicles??
Maybe (if diesel) they could carry some petrol for you.
What type of vehicle are you running?? What fuel consumption have you anticipated??

Have a good one
Signman
AnswerID: 94681

Follow Up By: Bazza1 - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:02

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 23:02
I have a Prado and will be travelling in a group.
I was planning to carry enough fuel to struggle from Wiluna to Kunawarritji Community if necessary and still arrange for a fuel drop at Well 23.

I have budgeted on 20l/100km with about 165l of useable fuel in the long range tanks and 110l of fuel in jerry cans or similar.
FollowupID: 353623

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 18:08

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 18:08
Really it depends on the car you drive & the space available. Some options are 8 Jerry cans, 3 x 50 litre oil drums or a fuel bladder. Jerries pack easy & some can be mounted on a swing away rear carrier or foof rack. Drums are cheap & after the Canning disposed of in the nearest tip. Take your back seat out & they'd fit accross the floor. Fuel bladders are available in any size, can be layed accross the floor & if you know someone with a boat could borrow one.
I personally have never had an issue with carring fuel inside the car as in reality you can transfer the fuel from the Jerries etc accross to the main tank as you use it so the containers only have fuel in them for only 4 or 5 days. If you can't smell fumes then there is no chance it will explode, if you can then fix the leak.
(not a smoker are you ;-)
Have a great trip, cheers Craig.................
AnswerID: 94700

Sponsored Links