40L Engel - 12v/24v portable power supply

Submitted: Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 18:33
ThreadID: 19735 Views:8954 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I require a portable power supply (12 volt or 24 volt) for a 40L Engel fridge freezer(40th Anniversary edition). I have looked at a few options but am not sure which way to go. Does anyone have any recommendations for what worked well for them?

Ideally it needs to be able to power the fridge for around 20 hours, and be rechargeable from a vehicle.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 19:27

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 19:27
A Calcium-Calcium 105amp Hour Deep Cycle battery for about $120 or so in a $19 battery box from Supercheap with a Hella Fridge plug stuck in the side. Plug into fridge while at camp, plug into car when driving. If you decide later to buy a $100 battery relay you can fit it to the vehicle and have a permanant dual battery setup.
AnswerID: 94706

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:16

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 21:16
I second that motion.

Wouldn't, and didn't change a thing. Except I put a Jaycar Amp / Volt meter on the battery case, to see amps in/out, & residual ( rest ) voltage.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 353605

Follow Up By: David Au - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:10

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:10
Calcium batteries make poor deep cycle batteries.
Suggest you look to a reputable manufacturer for a deep cycle battery.
FollowupID: 353612

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:52

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:52
David,
You're a knowledgeable sort of a bloke.....what do you know about Exide Extreme N70ZZ? I bought another one recently, now have 2 under the bonnet of the GU. The sticker on the side says they're deep cycle and starter...but I think that sounds like bullshyte myself. I bought it anyway cos I've had a good run out of them previously.

I agree with the idea of using a sealed battery/ies instead of one of those over-priced blue apple jobbies......$600- for 48a/h is just way over the top. I have 2 Exide Orbitals in the camper trailer and they're good for 2 to 3 days on the 80 litre Engel upright fridge and a couple of flouro's and a water pump etc.

Your can get a good gel cell 100a/h battery for around $300- if you don't like the smaller (in size and capacity) of the orbital.
FollowupID: 353622

Follow Up By: Mainey... - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 02:37

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 02:37
0zi, please explain why calcium batteries "are poor Deep Cycle batteries", by posting a link to a 'test' that will verify your statement !

FollowupID: 353638

Follow Up By: Wok - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 05:24

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 05:24
Roachie,

I think the Exide Extreme is a hidden gem, I use mine in both modes [crank a V8 diesel & fridge power]....going well, so I have no doubts about their claim as dual purpose. I just hope Exide don't plan to supercede it.

Cheers
FollowupID: 353639

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:20

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:20
I see your back from holoidays...bummer! we missed you lol lol lol

here's the link, go to clause 4.2.1... but i guess you will say otherwise
FollowupID: 353652

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:33

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:33
page 10
FollowupID: 353654

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 12:41

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 12:41
The battery I mentioned is half the price of the ones you are talking about and will certainally run his fridge for the time he requested. Why would you want to spend the extra when it's not required??

We have several of these batteries sitting in farm padocks running surveillance cameras and transmiters being charged from solar and they work great.
FollowupID: 353685

Follow Up By: Mainey... - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 14:11

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 14:11
Nudnut, thank you the link you posted, in full, is as follows;
4.2.1. Flooded (Wet) Cell
Flooded cell deep cycle batteries are divided, like their car battery counterparts, into LOW maintenance (the most common) and maintenance FREE (or sealed), which is based on their plate formulation.

LOW maintenance batteries have lead-antimony/antimony or lead-antimony/CALCIUM (dual alloy or hybrid) plates; the maintenance FREE batteries use lead-calcium/CALCIUM.
The ADVANTAGES of maintenance FREE batteries are LESS preventive maintenance, up to 250% less water loss, FASTER RECHARGING, GREATER overcharge resistance, REDUCED terminal corrosion, up to 40% MORE life cycles, and up to 200% LESS self DISCHARGE.
However, they are more prone to deep discharge (dead battery) failures due to increased shedding of active plate material and development of a barrier layer between the active plate material and the grid metal. Further, if sealed, they tend to have a shorter life in hot climates because lost water cannot be replaced.
Automobile industry liability lawyers prefer this type of battery because consumers are less likely to be injured. Finally, maintenance FREE batteries are generally more expensive than LOW maintenance batteries.

Nudenut, your link confirms performance wise CALCIUM batteries are superior?
and any cheap battery will give problems, we all are aware you should buy a battery with a good warrantee, equating to good quality. that is true with most things you buy, low price generally equates with low technology and also performance!

Your post however does show CALCIUM batteries in a good lite and explains their many benifits, problems are relevant to 'low discharge' which is fully controllable by a discharge cut-off system which is standard equipment on most decent fridges, therefore the problem is nonexistant....
As you are aware my CALCIUM batteries are 4.5 years old and only $135 each and still without problems, but then mine are recharged correctly.

FollowupID: 353696

Follow Up By: David Au - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 20:51

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 20:51
Roachie Exide Extreme or Century Overlander are both the same type of battery. As far as I can tell there is no advantage of one over the other. We run both brands and find them great. In the vehicles that do not need an auxiliary battery to run the test equipment for long periods, we fit either an Exide Extreme or Century Overlander. In my own vehicles I have Exide Extreme and would be just as happy to have Century Overlanders fitted. KMart had Exide Extremes for $111.75 on special, which was cheaper than my normal source for Century or Exide so grabbed two on the day. I don't know any other lead acid batteries at a reasonable price that offer both cranking and some deep cycle capacity.
You can get a fully sealed gel cell 100Ah SLA for $225.00 (from memory) and a 95Ah VRLA suitable for charging with a solar panel or three stage mains charger for $290.00 (from memory). I run a 150Ah VRLA on my campervan and caravan solar system.
FollowupID: 353756

Reply By: guts - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:35

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:35
I use a Bushranger MAXI 4000 power tank, this might be more expensive to set up than the previous replys but it is very stong and portable. It runs my Engel for 4 days without any problems. The RRP is about $585 which is a bit steep but I got my brand new on ebay for $301. Anyway this works for me!
AnswerID: 94742

Reply By: derraux - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:38

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:38
Owen
Blue apple make some good portable power packs fully sealed and have built in charging regulation a 48amp hour battery will give you sufficient amount of power for 20h they will also full reacharge from flat in 4 hours with a good enought connection, you may have heard of these as waeco thumper aprox cost arunr $600 life span of about 7 years fully rebuildable when the time comes at a lesser cost than replacement.
Derek
AnswerID: 94745

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:05

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 08:05
I was wondering if they were rebuild-able......

Good news, I also have one of these, and the small size makes it extremely handy for my uses.

I simply pull it out and hook up my compressor to it when needed, have a fluro maybe 10 metres from my car, put it in my swag to run CPAP.......

Even though they ARE expensive for their size, it is the size, and ease of portability that convinced me to have one. If I go to a BBQ, I simply take my little 15 litre Waeco, and my Outback........ jobs done!

Wolfie
FollowupID: 353651

Reply By: shaggy - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 13:09

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 13:09
hi owenm,
the best thing to do is to consider the consumption of fridge. In tests done on that model in leading magazines, they calculated about 2.4 A @ 12.5 V. So for every hour running, the fridge would use 2.4 A times by 20 hours equals approx. 50 A hour battery requied, and then its best to double it for longevity sake. So a 75 Ah batt would be minimum i would use, with 100 being better. If you choose deep cycle, keep in mind that it will take about 6 hours minimum to recharge it fully, no matter how big a charger you try and use (or even vehicle alternator). This is a trait of deep cycle batteries, slow current out, slow current in.
If you need faster charging, go a hybrid battery of similar capacity, but it probably will not last as long. The main thing is to charge up a discharged battery as soon as possible, and to not over discharge a battery. Deffinitely never below say about 11V under load, or about 11.5 without load. These are emergency figures, I wouldnt go this low often if you want durability from a battery. Avoid starting batteries, they really dont last long when used for discharging purposes.
cheers
AnswerID: 94818

Sponsored Links