Pre outback trip check of vehicle

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 14:18
ThreadID: 19758 Views:1862 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have an 80 series diesel Landcruiser and travelling to Birdsville and across the Simpson Desert in July. Anyone know of any good reputable places in Melbourne who can do a pre outback trip vehicle check? North or West suburbs preferred but ideas for other places in Melbourne also welcome

What I don't want is take it to some shifty guy who simply tells me I need new shockers all round, a new clutch or gearbox etc in order make work for himself. I don't mind paying for items that genuinely need attention - hence the need for someone who is reputable and trustworthy.

Any ideas gratefully accepted
Regards
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wombat - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 14:40

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 14:40
Rob,

I've always founf Kerry at ARB Northern to be honest and upfront, and would have no hesitation in recommending them.
AnswerID: 94828

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 14:45

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 14:45
How many K's on the 80 and how well maintained is it ?
Things I'd check would include all belts and hoses (and carry spares), bearings (heavy loading etc) and the clutch (those dunes arent easy on em) and water pump if the K's are up around 200K or over. I'd carry two spare shockies (the tracks in and out can be rough and corregated) and make sure I had new batteries. If you havent had a major service for a while now might be the time. Its a heck of a lot cheaper in town than in the bush.
Other things to watch are tyre pressure and your speed. Make sure you have time in hand, it's your holiday, take it easy and don't spoil it with mech probs or an accident. Have a great trip and be kind to the locals :))
AnswerID: 94829

Reply By: Rob80 - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 15:12

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 15:12
Many thanks guys for the above. Vehicle has done 150K and is in very good condition - serviced every 5000km as per the book. I travelled outback 2 years ago (Birdsville/Oodnadatta Tracks etc) but the Simpson is the first time so want it to be in top condition for that. Thanks Footloose - I appreciate the hints - especially the belts, bearings, water pump, shockers etc

I guess what I'm after is someone good to check the clutch, bearings, water pump etc to tell me what needs replacing or service. As you say it's a hell of a lot easier here rather than in the middle of the desert.
Rob
AnswerID: 94834

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 17:58

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 17:58
I agree with all comments so far. I also get under the truck with a host of socket and spanner sizes and tighten every nut or bolt head I can reach. I check the universals and look for tell tale signs of leaks. Nipping up the bolts on the sump is also a good idea. Get your mechanic to check the alternator output, battery connections, belts and waterpump flow. Another good idea would be to carry a spare front and rear shockabsorber. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 94858

Follow Up By: Rocky M QLD - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 21:24

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 21:24
Willem.what a really good reply.A few years ago I bought a coaster bus and made into a camper and then spent countless hours underit tightening everything I could find and learning what was connected to what.Spent almost 5 years travelling in it without incident. I guess it is all down to prep and knowing your rig,regards Dave
FollowupID: 353760

Reply By: Dodgy - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 21:37

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 21:37
Gidday Rob80.. Something to concider is taking spares that will keep you going.. ok wheel bearings, belts, hoses,tyres and tubes,spare filters and oil (enought to do a full oil change if need be)and water and things like that.. make sure you got good shockies before you leave but if they do let you down they won't imobilise you.. they are the things you should be thinking of.. if you can limp to safety slowly is all well and good but to be stuck is another problem.. I hope that helps some..

Keep your whistle wet and your powder dry.. Dodgy..
AnswerID: 94891

Sponsored Links