Gunbarrel Highway

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 21:12
ThreadID: 19772 Views:1873 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Camping spots..any good idea's ??? We are planning to do the Gunbarrel travelling east to west in July. Does anyone know any good places to stop or camp? Also can anyone help with where permits can be obtained? Any other useful info on road conditions, fuel availabilty, etc greatly appreciated !

Cheers
Boggedathome, Darwin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 21:20

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 21:20
The Trek Notes on this site have most of what you require in the Gunbarrel Hwy section.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 94885

Reply By: Member - Darryl - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:47

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 22:47
boggedathome,
No shortage of camp sites this way with mobs of wide open spaces.We travelled in 2003 from west to east and had a ball ,took our time and enjoyed the tranquility of the bush.Just pick an opening in the scrub and drive off the track and you can be anywhere in the world.Alot of the country out there is not subject to permits ,pastoral country etc. Some places of note are Mt Gordan,Mt Evard,Mongul creek (may need permission )we were lucky and ran into the station owner and pointed us in the right direction, also Geraldton Bore . Million Dollar Corner on the abandon section is also a great spot in amongst the desert oaks in dune country.
Fuel available at Carnigie and Warbuton.
Permits available with links at this web site.
Well road condtions ,one can say corrigated and rough.Dont overload and take your time and report your departure and arrival to police at either end.A lot of people dont and the police do not appreciate it when something goes wrong and they start looking for you.
This trip is not hard ,tyres ,suspension and shocks the main focus with some form of comms would be advisable .
The abandon section more challenging with big washouts etc with some dune driving and slower overall speed.
Enjoy the trip

Darryl
AnswerID: 94911

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 00:01

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 00:01
Mingol camp, Carnegie, Mungkili Claypan, Camp Beadell & the blazed tree on the old section are all good. The bore near the Notabilis hills wasn't bad but the area had been burnt out. It's difficult to pre plan camp spots on that track as conditions change & you may not get as far as you hoped. Better to just start looking at beer O'clock :-))
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 94925

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:52

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:52
Bogged
yes the whole length of the road has great camping spots. I remember camping near the billabong at Mingol Camp (west of Carnegie) and waking up in my swag surrounded by dozens of thirsty roos looking for an early morning drink (I offered them a VB but they preferred the water). In retrospect I should have camped further away from the watering point.
This road is rough. The corrugations are as bad as it gets, especially the Heather Hwy section. My roof rack fractured. Trashed a tyre. Get dentist to check your fillings before you go. Its not called the GBH for nothing.
I managed to get lost (pre GPS days) and ended up in Tjirrkali community and made to feel as welcome as a spare dick at a wedding by an arrogant whitey.
Allow plenty of time because the slower you go the less damage you'll incur.
I remember vowing to myself I would never drive the GBH again because it was so rough, but thinking about it I probably would.
AnswerID: 94960

Reply By: boggedathome - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:04

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:04
Thanks all, info much appreciated !!!

Cheers

Brendan
AnswerID: 94962

Sponsored Links