Servicing up to 100,000 and/or 3 years...

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 23:09
ThreadID: 19803 Views:2060 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,

So, the trucks heading towards 20,000. So far, I'm not happy with Nissans servicing and how much they miss when it comes to inspection. I understand they pump in and out alot of nissans per day but after spending the cash, I want it to be looked after. Further, it's alot for a oil and filter change considering how long it takes.

I'm considering doing all minor servicing myself (I did so on all previous trucks and cars I've owned) and taking it to someone I know who will do the work for the majors (wheel bearings etc etc at 40,000).

What is your opinion? I'm slowing down on the k's now due to a job change (17,500 k's in 4 and a half months) and I'll be lucky to clock up a 1000 per month now.

Cheers and hope you all had a great day off!

Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: warthog - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 23:33

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 23:33
I agree with you that dealers do ableepe servicing job. Having spoken to mechanics that have worked at our local toyota/nissan/missusbitchi dealership they are expected to do a service within a set time limit that does not allow a thorough job. My opinion is that dealers are interested in selling cars, not making the vehicles they have sold last long term.
AnswerID: 95056

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:39

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:39
Gday mate,

Someone actually said to me the other day it's in the dealers best interest not to service properly so something goes and theres $$$ to be made!

Thanks mate,

Chris.
FollowupID: 354019

Follow Up By: warthog - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 22:39

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 22:39
Have to pay that one.
FollowupID: 354049

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:05

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:05
Get the services done by your local mechanic and this will save you heaps.
I do all the servicing on mine including the big ones now, but still get a diesel mech to tune the beast and adjust the tappets correctly.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95060

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:06

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:06
Mines up to 130,000 now.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 353896

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:40

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:40
Gday Dodger,

I agree, I just can't justify the $$$ it costs with the doubt I feel afterwards.

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers

Chris.
FollowupID: 354021

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:21

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 00:21
yep, go for it , even if you pay a good local mech, you will still be way in front, if you have half an idea you are in front of the 'lube mechanics' at the dealerships.

When i needed a fill in job for a while i worked at a holden dealership, soon learnt not to report anything, standard reply from s/m was - did the owner report it ? if not dont worry. they only want in/out oil changes. I was doing major services on crapodores in 45 minutes including the test drive, so no guessing how much quality i was allowed to give. Not to mention 1st year apprentices working totally unsupervised 'flying blind'. i couldnt get out quick enough.

BTW - hows those mtrs holding up under full power ? mine squirm and roar something shocking at full noise.

cheers Brad
AnswerID: 95065

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:43

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:43
Gday Brad!

Agree. Had a mate working with Pajero doing gearbox rebuilds in 2 hours even though they were meant to take 4 hours!

The Mtrs sound like they are working pretty hard, I can spin the MTR's off the line, but don't give it a big squirt all to often. Really happy with the MTR's on the blacktop, dirt and mud. Work well on rocks at 14psi.

You happy with your beast?

Cheers

Chris.
FollowupID: 354022

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:00

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:00
gday mate, yeah pretty happy with it so far, grouse in the slop, just powers through, bit skittish on the gravel, but awesome on straight dirt, not too much straight rock or sand YET :-)) but wont be long i think.

i found 34psi to be best for everyday running around with normal loads.

yeah agree with your mates prob, i got abused one day for taking more than a few hours to replace a clutch in a gen3 interceptor police ride, politely (not!) told him that i know that this vehicle does the double ton plus at least 2 or 3 times a week, so ill be buggered if im going to rush the driveline work. It got that bad at the end that you couldnt even let the engine oil drain out fully, took too long, especially when the vehicle turned up running nice and hot.. mmm burnt fingers AND abuse, who wouldnt love it :-)))
FollowupID: 354088

Reply By: sevo - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:29

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:29
Gday everyone,
As a factory trained Nissan tech with over 13years experiance i find it hard to see how much we MISS when it comes to inspection. I know heaps of other 'mechanics' at local places that i would not trust to work on my wheel barrow!!. They do not have all info , current tech bullitens etc etc, The amount of times they ring me and ask HOW DO YOU DO THIS? amazes me. Im not saying we are 100% right all the time ,but just becuase some dealers dont do the right thing doesnt mean we are all bad.
sevo
AnswerID: 95082

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:14

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:14
geez it sounds like your workshop actually lets you do some work on em, where you at ? could be good to remember. cheers buddy Brad.
FollowupID: 353922

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:39

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:39
My extensive experience with the Toyota dealership in kalgoorlie would tend to prove the coments made about dealerships, I mean getting vehicles back missing indicators and being charged for fixes that werent done arrrrrrrrrrrrghh dont get me started I could easily fill up this thread HOPELESS!!!!!!
FollowupID: 353926

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 18:08

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 18:08
I'm sure not all dealers suck however my dealings with a particular Ford dealership leave me wondering. Our F250s have required their rear shackles to be replaced as per a Technical Service Bulletin. We have had the problem that this fixes for ages but Ford never found it. Even when I went in there and told them about the problem again and told them about the service bulletin they didn't believe me. I then told them there was a guy in the lounge with his F250 currently in the workshop having his changed. Then the dealer guy said "oh yeah we have had to replace those on all the ambulances and a few others" This guy pretended to not know what I was talking about all that time!!! Even then he took me out to the ute and asked me to point out the exact problem.

WHAT A PRICK!!!

As for my private ute I have found an excellent mechanic who does all the servicing on it. He has serviced my cars for years and I would never change. Even though I moved away from the area I still go back to his garage. This is the sort of mechanic you need to search out and build up a good relationship with. Whether it is a private one or a dealership.
FollowupID: 353989

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:46

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:46
Gday Sevo,

Not a personal attack mate, and I wish I could get YOU to service the beast under warranty. However, my experience with both Ford and Nissan thus far have been disappointing.

Seems that most have not had great experiences with dealer service. They love to sell em', but not look after them. Like I said above, it's not in their best interest to look after them.

Cheers

Chris.
FollowupID: 354026

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:11

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:11
Hi Chris
Servicing is interesting. My Nissan is serviced at the Dealer FernTree Gully Vic and I must say I have no complaints, they take the time to do it properly and have picked up things I have not noticed, also discount for 4WD club members. I have had service at the Local 4WD place in the Northern Suburbs and found they were much dearer that Nissan for no better service. I agree that after travelling around OZ that service greatly varies from place to place. Maybe do the 5000k services yourself and get the others done elswwhere. Also were do you live as the Guru's of the site may have a suggest service place
Ray
AnswerID: 95108

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:39

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:39
I will go with this, majority of our club members use FTG Nissan and have only heard good about them...
But yea, I would do all oil, and filters myself... Then how do you prove that to the nissan man if warranty is required?
FollowupID: 353943

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:51

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:51
Gday Raymond and Trucky,

Raymond, depending on where you are, if Nissan are taking their time, thats great. Whilst at Nissan I got told they had to get through 60 cars for servicing today and that they would get to mine when the could. I asked how long it would take and they reckoned 3 hours for a 15,000 service. This means to get through 60 cars on 9 hour shift each guy would do 3 cars, this means they employ 20 techs? Find that difficult to believe.

I live in Brizzy, know of a good one, just getting the advice of the forumites. Brisbane turbos and tuning for the 20,000k tunes, and probably Nudgee auto for servicing now.

Thanks guys!

Chris.
FollowupID: 354027

Reply By: 10 Para (Qld) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 20:47

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 20:47
Hi Chris still here, slight delay we go next Sat the 5th, just saw your post and yes i am with you on the dealer service, i bought my truck from a dealership near you strathpine due to it being the best price around, $64500.00 for a 4.8 TI with extras and on the road so had to take it, it went straight to ARB southside to get fitted out even before it was pre delivered. When we took delivery we arranged to have it serviced at the gold coast, the first 10,000 service was due and straight after that it was due at the docks for shipment to NZ for the fishing season as soon as it came out i noticed that the 3.5 A/T hitch for our camper was missing, and you guessed it i was told it was not on when it went in well i am not sure how i towed the night before, any way not one to give up that easliy when it came back from NZ i sent it back for its 20,000 and told them not to touch the tyres or the alignment well you can guess what happed they stuffed up the front and it took me 3 weeks to get it right, so since then it goes to Motsons in Brisbane and have found them great, i am not one to do the work myself all i want is it done right and so far they have done that, keep right away from the dealers even when i was in Darwin & broome i did not go near a dealer in Darwin got a local guy who i sourced from several other locals and in broome the TJM outfit who were great
All best with the service i am sure at least you be able to see what is done.
Regards
AnswerID: 95563

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:39

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:39
Gday mate,

Your truck looks great! Got a few toys.

Agree with ya, you'd reckon they'd be getting it right considering they are the ones who make the ruddy things.

Hope nothing bad happened which held you up!

Cheers

Chris.
FollowupID: 354696

Sponsored Links