turbo v supercharger

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1981 Views:1610 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a nissan 4.2litre diesel s/w and looking to improve the power can anyone tell me which is best a turbo or a supercharger as I wish to tow a 20 ft caravan. it lacks power on the hills and pick up for overtaking.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: royce - Sunday, Sep 15, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 15, 2002 at 00:00
I agonized over this problem earlier this year. I turbo charged my H2 cruiser motor. It definitely beefed up the performance. Was it worth the money? I still can't decide. I am considering a V8 diesel further down the line. Sorry, best I can tell you. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 6632

Follow Up By: Tony - Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
thank you for your reply. what made you turbo charge and not supercharge if you don't mind me asking
FollowupID: 2988

Reply By: royce - Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 16, 2002 at 00:00
I guess nobody suggested supercharging at the time! It costs more.... and I don't understand the technology as well...... Reading the forum, a lot of contributers are recommending supercharging. You know.... on reflection.... I would consider buying a vehicle with more power if you can manage rather than going for upgrades on yours...... You pump a lot of money into conversions and add-ons, and need the rest of the rig to support it effectively. I'm not much of a petrol-head. See ya royce
AnswerID: 6668

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2002 at 00:00
My father put a turbo on his 4.2 Maverick. The change was absolutely incredable. heaps more power and pickup, don't know the exact figures though. He says money well spent.

AnswerID: 6709

Reply By: RALPH PENISTAN - Friday, Sep 20, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 20, 2002 at 00:00
No body has mentioned the difference between the two methods.
TURBO CHARGING: Requires passive method to drive the turbine ie output from exhaust this is a great idea but has +&- plus is fuel economy is great for big output in engine perfomance neg is that your head needs to be able to take this fittment ie valves and heat generated is extreme if your car has not been preped for this , also there is a lagg time from when turbo kicks in can be felt like a slight jolt in power around about 1800 rpm.(depends on engine) .

SUPER CHARGING: Reguires a belt to drive the turbine this is also a good idea but uses fuel to make power ie drive belt. Active power .(MAD MAX 2 see the super charger kick out in an effort to save fuel ) In reality this would cause tuning problems and may use more fuel than you are trying to save.
As with turbo your head must be preped for this fitment .There are two types of super charger one that fits off to the side in a neat little unit.(sprintex type) The other fit right on top off the head like mad max type this adaption is only for petrol enginges and really bangs out the power top end . hope this answers you question?
AnswerID: 6795

Reply By: colin - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
Tony, I have a 92 4.2 Diesel Patrol wagon, have now supercharged it. Looked at turbo,s intercooled, and driven them, was not impressed. I do a lot of beach work, Fraser, Morton Island, and Rainbow Beach, now i can get into soft sand and put the boot in at low revs ie 1100 and the thing gets up and jumps no more flogging the motor to get any where. The fuel consumption has gone up more to my driveing style. I also tow a 20ft boat and a camper trailer and have found that over taking is now a breese like driveing a big petrol. Have just done a big desert trip and had no prblems with belts in the dust. Over 105ks the fuel consumption really drops. The unit is servicable and all parts are available from holden as the unit is the same as the one fitted to the v6 commodore. It does take a bit of room under the bonnet . The price was 6.5ks with a heavy duty clutch fitted and 12 mths warranty, so i figure not a bad deal and pleased with the result. If the unit blows up take the belt off and you can still drive the car, unlike a turbo once they let go thats it no more driveing. My email is kiwicol@optusnet.com.au in Brisbane Regards Col
AnswerID: 7057

Sponsored Links