Morteon

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:53
ThreadID: 19810 Views:1577 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hey guys,

Just got back from 5 days at Morteon... rained for the last few days but we spent them at the pub at tanngalooma :) We took a trailer over with a 2.8 L Turbo Diesel Rocky, but could not travel along middle road track leading to the eastern beach as the track was in really bad condition. we ended up having to go right around the south of the island! we camped at blue lagoon. we saw 2 big bush pigs and a piglette. The bush pig alwasy coming to visit us at 4 am in the morning. quite scary when you wake up in the middle of the night with a bush pig about 3 m from your head! all in all a great trip and took my magellan meridian planitnum over there and have tracked most of the island. People are more than welcome to email me and ill send them to you. i havent long had Discover Aus so if anyone would help me mark out the tracks that would be great as well.

take care

john
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: porl - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:54

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:54
How bad was the middle track - just huge ruts or what ? Did you have a go ? Or were you concerned that the trailer would make it just too hard ?

Any issues with down the south end ? How long did it take to get round the south end ?

I'm going over in a couple weeks so am interested. Usually I find the middle road soft but very driveable. Maybe too many people over chrissy ?
AnswerID: 95126

Follow Up By: picollo - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 13:19

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 13:19
well the middle track going to the eastern beach was bad. there was huge ruts - we tried several times but there was about 9 4wds up our arse so we ended up reversing the trailer back down the hill. the point where got stuck is on this hill about 200 m from the Uturn bit where you can go back to the eastern beach. bit pointless having a u turn point there where u cant even reach there!! ahaha.

i stood up the top of the hill and watched the other cars go past. at least 4 out of the 9 got stuck in the same spot. we should of had another go at it but as the trailer was ure standard 6x4 and the wheels of the truck kept hitting the tire rims. there was a guy from a 4wd club with a nice fitted out trailer. he made it up there no problems as he had about a 200m and was going at least 40 - 60ks!! nobleep.

no issues going the southern end. pretty nice drive actually. got stuck once but that was driver error. im not sure how long it took to get around in the end but we were setting up at blue lagoon at about 230 so we got off the barge at 10, not including all the time we mucked around. id say it would have taken just over 2 hours.
FollowupID: 353947

Sponsored Links