Low sulphur diesel wrecks US Army trucks

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:39
ThreadID: 19814 Views:3669 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Have a look at this article... http://usapc.army.mil/miscellaneous/Lubricity.doc
here is an extract

Toyotas and Nissans run rotary distributor injection pumps
What is going to happen to peoples cars who are already buying low sulphur diesel. I know BP currently sells it, and Shell may already too.

We first have to understand why lubricity is important for diesel fuel. There are several types of diesel fuel injection systems being used by engine manufactures which depend on fuel lubricity in varying degrees. Of all systems being used, the rotary distributor injection pump is the one most dependent on lubricity because the fuel provides 100% lubrication to the internal parts of the injection pump. As the rotary distributor injection pump is highly susceptible to boundary lubrication wear (i.e., when heavy metal-to-metal contact occurs with the fuel providing little or no lubrication), this potential wear becomes more severe with increasing ambient temperature and increasing loading on the engine. Any significant wear will lead to under run and/or stalling annoyances, and eventually premature pump failure. The remaining other types of fuel injection systems are not as highly dependent on the fuel for lubrication and therefore, are not as sensitive to low lubricity diesel fuel, sometimes referred to as “dry diesel fuel.”

I am staying away from brand name diesel, and only buying cheap stuff from asia. ie Safeway fuel, and some other noname brands
cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:50

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 12:50
I stand to be corrected but don't we already have fuel standards requiring low sulpher diesel in Aus now and aren't our vehicles built to run with this stuff.

As for the imported cheap stuff from Asia sold by Safeway etc, they had big issues in recent times with fuel contamination problems damaging cars.
I believe that they are now supplied by Caltex so the fuel would meet the current sulpher requirements.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95125

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:08

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:08
Agree with John that Safeway may not be the answer. All Victorian Safeway outlets are now aligned with Caltex as Coles is aligned with Shell. Can't imagine Caltex would be providing fuel of a different standard to the other majors, but I am only guessing.

Jim.
FollowupID: 353994

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 13:49

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 13:49
Sounds backwards to me.

Part of the issue with some Nissan 3.0l engines may be caused buy our crap fuel..

These "new generation" engines are designed to run on "european standard" fuel, which we do not have access to yet.

A few weeks back, someone on here sprouted that there was nothing wrong with Australia's fuel. I do not agree.

Just before xmas, the Sunday Times in Perth ran an article on the new Nissan Extreme, and lamented the fact that Nissan have declared they will not introduce the new 4cyl turbo Di engine on the Australian market because of issues to do with poor quality fuel.

Cheers,

Muzz

AnswerID: 95134

Follow Up By: shaggy - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:50

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:50
Sure the new ones are fine. I was talking about the mechanical rotary pumps. The zd30 has electronic injection. Most of the 4wds on the roads are the old type. ie. 1hz and the old patrol motors, before these sewing machine types came out (zd30).
FollowupID: 354007

Follow Up By: tex1972 - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 21:25

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 21:25
yea we had problems with perkins truck engines with rotary pumps 4 started leaking within a week of each other got them all done up but I don't know how they are now we sold them
FollowupID: 354030

Reply By: snailbate - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:07

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:07
hi guys
deisel in AUST IS CRAP the AUST Govt will not make a std for AUST deisel we get the worst deisel in the world the only std the aust govt has done is reduce the amount of sulfer as it has done for petrol to reduse the amount of lead
if you go to uroepe the amount of deisel bowsers in a fuel shop is 1 petrol to 4 deisel bowsers in AUST it is 1 deisel bowsers to 4 petrol so our desilel is a lot of crap
Sailbait
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95221

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 00:45

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 00:45
The quality of diesel fuel in Australia has progressed significantly over the past couple of years. As of 31Dec2002 all diesel fuel has to be max 500 ppm Sulphur and by 1Jan2006 this will be max 50ppm Sulphur. Most refineries in Australia are already supplying diesel to the 2006 specs. And the specs cover more than just Sulphur content. The attached links provide some facts on the matter.Federal Fuel Standards

We recently did some diesel emissions testing for an overseas Customer who wanted to test with 300 ppm diesel for Asian market. This proved to be a real problem as all we could get locally was 50ppm from BP's Kwinana refinery. As we found out Shell were getting their diesel from Asia at 500ppm, so we purchased both and blended the fuels to get our 300ppm diesel fuel. Shell diesel now also at 50ppm.

The modern diesel fuel systems are designed and validated for these fuels so I wouldn't be too concerned. You'll note an increase in the availability of European common rail diesel powered vehicles over the next couple of years with Peugeot, VW and Audi already selling diesel vehicles . Holden and Ford will likely have diesel engine variants of Commodore/Falcon in the near/mid term.

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 95295

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 00:54

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 00:54
I'm sorry but the link didn't work out. Here's a 2nd go

Federal Fuel Standards

Or the path is http://www.deh.gov.au/atmosphere/cleaner-fuels/petrol-diesel/standards.html
FollowupID: 354062

Sponsored Links