Suspension and tires for 2004 Rodeo

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 13:16
ThreadID: 19819 Views:4937 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any info about suspension lifts for curent model rodeo. We will be towing a CT soon and are worried about the rear end sag. One suggestion was a cold reset on the springs with an extra leaf added and that would be enough. We think that it will probably need polyairbags as well, any ides.

Also we would like bigger tires, currently they are 245/70R16, we would like to go to at least 245/75R16. We have been told that this might cause a bigger problem with the "dead patch" in first gear, where no matter how flat to the floor the pedal is there is no response.

Any ideas Dao
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 14:00

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 14:00
Dao, ive just bought a new rodeo as well. i have 31x10.5 r 15 same diameter as 245/75R16. no problems at standard ride height . ive wound up front torsion bars 35 mm with no alignment problems with extension shackles in back till i get new springs most probably dobinson $450, as arb etc a lot dearer about the same as an add a leaf and reset. polyairbags would help keep standard ride height while towing while new springs should give 4omm plus increase over standard.
check out http://www.aussiesupersprings.com/ the principle seems ok to me but i have no first hand knowledge.

regards peter
AnswerID: 95137

Follow Up By: Dao - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 18:12

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 18:12
Thanks Peter,
We also have a set of Coopers 31/10.5/15 ST from our old Rodeo, they seem to stick out further on the RA. We have dirt roads and have a few stone chips from them (no side rails yet) and they lightly scrub on hard turns on the back inside section of the front tire, although, as yet we have not adjusted the torsion bar so this will probably help.

Do you have to get longer travel shocks with the new springs. We were told we would not have to with the reset and that it should give around 50mm. We had similar experiences with the old Rodeo in regards to how high we could go.

When are you getting new springs, would be very keen to know how much lift you really get and how the 265's go.

Also, have you noticed any problems with the highly geared first gear? Holden are working on it apparently.

Dao
FollowupID: 353990

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:15

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:15
Have just fitted 32 x 11.5 Cooper STT's to our rodeo, on 15 x 8 40 series cruiser offset rims, which needed a slight fender pump, and a little trimming, there is also a couple of options re the rodeo suspension wise, with a 40mm lift easily achievable, but the correct shock sure goes a long way to controlling the suspension correctly, and the rear 2 stage spring we have remodelled, to make for better ride, but carry same weight.
AnswerID: 95198

Follow Up By: Dao - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 14:54

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 14:54
Thanks for that
We have got 15x7 rims at the moment so will probably stick with those or the 16" RA rims.
FollowupID: 354269

Reply By: Dion - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 22:42

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 22:42
I have fitted Polyairs to the rear of my RA Rodeo and so far are quite satisfied. I fitted them myself, took about 50 minutes to do the first side, and then probably about 35 minutes to do the second side.
Currently the two air bags are independent of each other, however on the drawing board is to fit a cross connection between the two sides with a shut off valve so that I can have them equalised or independent of each other. I'd also like to plumb in a gauge so that I can see what I am pumping in or deflating too as otherwise you either have to take the chuck off, or stop deflating to put a tyre gauge on to see where the pressures are.
The primary reason for me going with polyairs is that I am satisfied (generally) with the ride and height of the rear, but when he boat plus load in the back is put on, the rear height at the towbar could drop nearly two inches, with the polyairs fully inflated with no load, I can increase the rear height by about 4".
Polyairs would be great for the front if they were available to 'temporary' increase overall ground clearance when out 4bying.
Using the oboard ARB compressor (fitted for front airlocker) it doesn't take a lot to pump them up. Another jhandy method of pumping them up is to use one of those pump stations at the service station where you can dial in the preset pressure and it then cuts out at that preset pressure.

Cheers,

Dion.
AnswerID: 95270

Follow Up By: Dao - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 14:59

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 14:59
Dion, did you go the black bellow polyairs or the red ones with the outer casing spring? Only asking because am interested in the 4" height you get, how do the shocks go, do you need longer travel ones or is that just a myth?!
I think that no matter what we do with the springs we will probably need something else when towing the CT.
Also, does the front air locker make a big difference and what sort of $$$$
Dao
FollowupID: 354270

Follow Up By: Dion - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 19:33

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 19:33
Black bellow polyairs that assist the springs to return vehicle to level height. I haven't looked at longer travel shocks, when I get the 4" lift, that was to see what it could do unladen. With a load on, my intention is to return vehicle to normal height, in which case the shocks are fine as they are. If I need to use them to help with clearance over an obstacle, they are pumped up for that purpose and then returned to standard height immediately on completion.
Front air locker is magic for rock hopping, is good for sand however not much chop in mud. However in mud, combined with still original Bridgies and low ground clearance, all the traction aids in the world weren't going to help. Having the air locker and compressor fitted, from memory, close to the $2k mark.

Cheers,

Dion.
FollowupID: 354301

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 07:18

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 07:18
Dao,
the 31x10.5s dont rub on mine, my alloy rims have a thick centre plate which pushes the wheel out about 5 mm outside flare these are "navara" offset. fitted 265's on ra original rims these are same width as 31's but tuck in nicely. will have to trim and sort some of the front plastic mud flap as 265,s get close on lock. same as on old rodeo no problem after trim. look good as fills the arch and another 15mm clearance
havent been offroad yet will wait and see how the gearing goes also my first diesel.
trying to do a package on front locker, snorkel and springs, suppliers havnt sharpened their pencils enough.
regards peter
AnswerID: 95308

Follow Up By: Dao - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 15:02

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 15:02
Peter
Again, would be interested in what sort of $$$ suppliers are talking, would be interested in front locker and snorkel and steps.

FollowupID: 354271

Follow Up By: Member - Peter D M - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 09:43

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 09:43
dao
air locker $2050. snorkel, $550 both arb tried to do package with bull bar as well $970 but arb only offered $140 off the lot. only got the bar for now but will be in brisbane in next few weeks, will try their own store and see what they can do.
regards peter
FollowupID: 354379

Reply By: Leroy - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:36

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:36
I thought you couldn't lift the front of the new Rodeo's (unlike the old) because they have now gone to a rack and pinion steering?

I would recommend Enforcer springs over getting your rear leaves reset. I had reset leaves and it gave me a very hard ride and felt the extra $200 wasn't worth it at the time. The reset leaves were great when I had a huge load but I was empty most of the time. My mate put in the Enforcers and was very happy. The spring is a lot more progressive and you also get 40mm of lift.
I would also check out airbags instead of polly airs. I have seen these on leaf spring rears and they look more durable.

Leroy

AnswerID: 95352

Follow Up By: Dao - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 14:47

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 14:47
Thaks Leroy,
Do you know who makes the airbags? We have so far only looked at the red and black polly airs.
Also, you are the first person to mention about the rack and pinion causing a problem adjusting the torsion bars, will have to look into that.
Dao
FollowupID: 354268

Follow Up By: Member - Peter D M - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 09:38

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 09:38
g'day leroy,
the ra rodeo does have rack and pinion steering but this only stops the ball joint relocation, mine is only new so still sorting but after bull bar and winch fitting wound it up 35mm and alignment was still ok. there is still plenty left to crank but with my tyres ive got a 5o mm lift. will check out enforcer springs for rear as shackels besides legality do put strain on chassis welds.
regards peter
FollowupID: 354377

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:18

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:18
Dae,

I think they were Airbag man. Also I think they are similar to the belows that poly air have.

Leroy
FollowupID: 354395

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:20

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:20
Hi Peter,

Well you know my story of chasis welds on shackle hangers!!
Make sure you go the greasable shackles. If I had them and pumped a bit of grease in every couple of months I wouldn't of had the problems.

Leroy
FollowupID: 354397

Sponsored Links