Buying my First "Big" 4WD

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:12
ThreadID: 19832 Views:2000 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all , I am a new visitor and need some advice on buyng my first big 4WD . I have been out on a few trips with my mates in My 1.8ltre Pajero Io , and I have caught the bug , the IO doesnt give me the grunt or space that I need even though its is a ripper little 4WD . We have been looking to upgrade but we have heard bad reports about the Pajero after a certain year , something to do with the suspension , can anyone shed any light on that for me ?? and any other Vehicles that I shoud steer clear of . We need to know which isgoing to be better for us , Diesel or Petrol for 85% on road driving 25% off road at this stage with maybe more offroad in the future . Any advice would be greatly apreciated as there is a lot of choice out there .

Cheers Kris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:34

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:34
WOW,
This should be interesting.....looking forward to the replies.

Kris, So hard to answer that question with what you have given us. How big ? Petrol / Diesel ? SWB / LWB ? Auto Manual ?

Are you rich, poor or both (depending who's around) All i can say is, I decided to go GQ 4.2 Diesel Turbo ONLY because of an expierence i had back in 1988. My mate had a brand new GQ88 mod 4.2 diesel, we went away with other cars. None of them were experts offroad. But the 1 thing that impressed me was the fact that his GQ was the only vehicle to get through the weekend without getting bogged(as everyone else did throughout the weekend) Now I am the proud owner of my second GQ. First one covered over 600,000 Kms without problems. I would be happy with a cruiser too but the price difference steered me away.
Should be some interesting replies here i think
Ange
AnswerID: 95212

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:13

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:13
If ya don't get bogged your not trying hard enough lol.
FollowupID: 354172

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:47

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:47
Instead of telling you what to buy I will tell you what I bought and why. 1994 80 series station wagon standard 204k click on rig pic for details for an all up price of 15k. The price was in the range I was looking for as were the ks. It had most of the equipment needed for off road work. It was a normally aspirated diesal with part time 4wd which I like for its simplicity and reliability and economy. bodywork was no better than good so i dont have to cry if I scratch it and it drives well
AnswerID: 95215

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:56

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 19:56
Kristos 85% on road and 25% off road. that's a lot of driving.
Get a Patrol it'll give you 110% ;)

Test as many cars as you can, only you will know what is right for you. If you like the grunt of the IO then non turbo diesels are out I guess. Like you I got the bug and wanted a "Big" 4WD and I love my 3.0 patrol, loads of room , more than enough grunt for what I want, solid axles. In the end it's all about personal choice and finances, whichever 4WD you get I know you'll end upo loving it and spending lots on all the goodies to go with it.
AnswerID: 95218

Follow Up By: Kristos - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:06

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:06
Well spotted Patrolman !!!!! What would you believe ?, Im looking for a Very high performance vehicle ? or that I simply cant add up .

Cheers Kris
FollowupID: 354013

Follow Up By: muzzimbidgie - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:20

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:20
KRIS. A few things to consider besides the usual auto/manual petrol/diesel questions that are a very personal thing.

I used to own a 60 series cruiser which had a tail gate, which is great for making a cuppa or a sandwich while your on the beach etc; I now have a GU patrol which obviously has barn doors, which can be a hassle cos we need to carry a table if we want the space for the billy or a breadboard on day trips, and if it's sprinkling rain we have no cover while waiting for the billy to boil. Only a minor point I know, but I do miss it.

In the end I chose the auto 3.0L patrol because of the power, fuel economy, good size for all our gear, we can sleep in it, reasonably priced and it has solid axles front AND back, which was my number one priority.

My first choice was probably always going to be an 80 series cruiser, but
I wanted a low mileage vehicle, and this model finished in 1998.

Cheers,

Muzz
FollowupID: 354017

Reply By: glenno(bris) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:13

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:13
Toyota landcruiser 100 series Turbo diesel.
Nissan Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo diesel.
AnswerID: 95227

Follow Up By: glenno(bris) - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:18

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:18
Forget this reply. Dreamin.
FollowupID: 354015

Reply By: Fordskin - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:34

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:34
I imagine your talking about the Pajero now having independant suspension. Thats certainly not a bad thing. Some people see it as a step backwards if you are going rock hopping. On the other hand nothing handles like it on the road. All depends on what you want to do. The Pajero will eat up the sand and go most places a Prado will go off road without the on road sacrifice.
AnswerID: 95232

Follow Up By: Kristos - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:44

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 20:44
Mate , I have been told that post 98 models have different suspension . Is this what your talking about . And if so How do the Pre 98 Pajs step up . Having a Mitsi now I am very impressed with its performance off road , my Little Io can pretty much do anthing the big boys can , except for the ground clearance oh and the packing space .

K
FollowupID: 354024

Follow Up By: Tuff60 - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:38

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:38
The Pajero has always been independent front suspension, and independent rear came out later than 98 when Paj's lost there chassis, so something else must have happened in 98. Can't think of anything that changed in thier suspension, maybe another can shed some light.
FollowupID: 354065

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 21:54

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 21:54
Kristos,

More info needed mate...what type of on road driving, mainly highway or city commuting and suburban car parks. What type of off road... fast dirt secondary road touring or hard fire trails. How many in the vehicle, how much gear, towing, remote area travel involved, fuel range needed etc, etc.
AnswerID: 95251

Follow Up By: Kristos - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 22:15

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 22:15
Mostly City commuting , suburban carparks . But when we do go off road we like a bit of a challange so we are always trying to find new tracks , so conditions vary . Normally only 2 in the car , all neccesary camping gear , the evakool fridge , water etc . We havent really done any long touring most long weekend trips , but this is some thing that I want to look at later on down the track . No towing , but the mrs has shown some interest in the camper trailers so I may be able to do some groundwork on that later . Nothing remote at this stage just teething at the moment .

cheers K

FollowupID: 354046

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 07:52

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 07:52
Kristos,

Looking at that I'd steer you towards something of a large/medium size in petrol auto. Second hand that would be the latest model Jackaroo you can find or a new Prado if you can budget for it.

IMHO your use will not benefit from a Diesel, an auto will make it much easier to live with around town with no significant detriment off road for what you are doing. Somthing of this size will not be a chore to park but is big enough to cart plenty of gear and will tow up to 2.5t comfortably.
FollowupID: 354074

Reply By: Member - Mick S (QLD) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:01

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:01
I have a HJ61 4.0l turbo diesel (locally delivered) with 280,000 ks and can't speak highly enough of it. Two of my friends have imported HJ 61s bought for under $20,000 each and are very happy with them . Under the "15 year rule" we should soon see imported 80 series coming off the boat. My vehicle is used mainly to tow a big van rather than hard core 4WD so I'll leave that side of it to the better qualified.
Mick
AnswerID: 95420

Sponsored Links