Repco 3-way fridge report

Submitted: Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:29
ThreadID: 19858 Views:5349 Replies:5 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Just got back from 2 beautiful weeks in Jervis Bay.

The only dissapointing thing was the performance or lack thereof of my 3-way fridge. This is the $399 job from Repco, which is distributed by Brown and Watson (Narva).

Prior to setting out, I tested it at home on 240v and it worked a treat. Yes, I know I should have also tested it on gas but assumed the same or better performance.

On site, couldn't get the inside temp less than 10C and was often 18C. Outside temp was only mid-20's and we left it without opening for long periods.

Another thing, the pilot light would often go out, to the extent that I was checking it every 30 minutes to make sure it was still on.

In the end, gave up and put ice in it and made a nice (if small) esky.

Anyone else using this fridge had similar or better experience? Anything to check or will I ring Repco and warn them than and angry, thirsty man is coming in for a refund.

Cheers all and hope your hols were good.

Smocky.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:54

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:54
THANKS!
AnswerID: 95382

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 13:17

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 13:17
Smocky, not my experience. Goes equally as well on gas or 240v. Tested on both at home and has worked well on one long weekend trip with low 30's temps. Gas flame never went out. Mine will hold <4 Deg once pulled down on gas without open iong it too often in mid to high 20's ambient. You may have got a dud, boomerang it and try another..probably not uncommon with this "economy" stuff.
AnswerID: 95385

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 13:47

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 13:47
Not had first hand experience but have heard it often said by those that have 3 way fridges is that the fridge MUST be level if it is to run on gas, if it isnt level the pilot light goes out

Hope this helps

AnswerID: 95391

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 16:02

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 16:02
G'day Kiwi,

Yep, we've had a 3-way before and so I actually built a wooden frame stand for it with screw in adjustable height legs. Stand worked a treat! Fridge bloody didn't.

Cheers,

Smocky.
FollowupID: 354158

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 08:00

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 08:00
There are only three things to remember with regard to using absorption fridges - LEVEL, LEVEL AND LEVEL.

Even a small amount off level will affect their performance. I keep a $2 shop spirit level in mine for this purpose along with 2 small wooden wedges to tweak it's position. Mine is an (old) Finch not the one you have but it will pull down to 2 or 3 degs C on a 35 deg. day and go below 0C on a 20 deg day. You must ensure they have good airflow to duct the heat away too.

If it works well on 240V the only thing which would prevent it doing so on gas may be a blocked jet - does the flame look OK and is the gas regulator turned to full? Off level will not put the gas out but a blocked jet may.

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
FollowupID: 354241

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:10

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:10
Hi Mike,

I actually built a stand for it. You can see it in a photo in my profile. It has adjustable legs and I spent plenty of time with a spirit level getting it level.

The flame looked fine. As this is a brand new unit though, perhaps it has something in it from factory. Anyway, I'll let them replace it first then I'll try it in the garage on gas.

I remember being able to make ice in the little aluminium ice tray they give you sitting on top of the cooling bar inside the fridge. Well this one wasn't even cold to touch in the morning after being on all night. Very odd.
FollowupID: 354247

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:18

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:18
>I actually built a stand for it.

Apologies, you said that in a previous post - I though another poster made that follow-up.

Well... as it was level AND it works OK on 240V it pretty much _must_ be poor gas flow for some reason. I would try it on gas at home in the same conditions as for 240V and if it's still poor go for a replacement.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 354248

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 14:21

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 14:21
Its within your rights to get a refund. If it hasn't lived up to what its meant to be and do, you can get your money back. Sometimes its better to buy a good quality used piece of gear than buy a cheap unit. Prices would be similar. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 95395

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 14:51

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 14:51
Actually it is not within his rights to get a refund ...... unless it can be proven that the goods are 'unsuitable for the purpose for which they are intended'.
The retailer is however, obligated to repair or replace the faulty item.
Just thought I would clear up an often misunderstood subject.
FollowupID: 354150

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 16:04

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 16:04
G'day Shaker,

They call it a fridge and sell it as a fridge. I reckon if it doesn't "fridge" stuff, then it doesn't work as advertised.

I know what you mean with the laws though and have been through this a bit from both sides of the fence.

Mostly, it's about what you are willing to put up with or accept. I can't believe they are all duds, so will definately give another one a try.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 354159

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:01

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:01
I might just clear something up here.

The law on faulty items is clear. You are entitled to a refund if the item is faulty.

How do I know? I work for a major retailer and was part of the team who rewrote the rufunds policy. It is clearly stated by the Office of Fair Trading.

Smocky you are entitled to a refund. Whether you choose to demand a refund or get an exchange for another unit and give it a go is entirely up to you.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 354167

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:21

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:21
Jimbo ... you are referring to the policy of a particular retailer ... not the law regarding faulty items.
As I said the retailer is only compelled to repair or replace, but saying that, most will refund.
FollowupID: 354174

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:26

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 19:26
I don't want to get bogged down with this fellas. There is a law called The Trade Practices Act that clearly explains the rights and responsibilities of both buyer and seller. Regardless of whether a store has it's own POLICIES or not, and regardless of what the warranty might say, there are statutory warranties and guarantees provided by law anyway.

Not planning on going that far. Already rang Repco and they're checking around and calling me back.

Just want what I paid for, that's all. The point of the thread was to see if other people had problems with this fridge or had good experiences. I'm pretty capable of looking after myself when it comes to buying and selling.

Cheers all and thanks for your comments.
FollowupID: 354176

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:47

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:47
Shaker,

I don't want to get into an argument.

Go and read the law on this. Trust me, I do know what I am talking about.

The policy of the retailer I work for far exceeds the requirements of the law in the interests of good customer service.

The company I work for is not a two bob operation. We trade over A$25B per annum and employ some fine legal minds. I happen to hold a position of some seniority (not the MD or anything like that) and have spent time on this. That is, I am not some "I know the law" Johnny come lately.

It is simple, if you have proof of purchase and the product is faulty, you are entitled to a refund. Too many people have been conned by unscrupulous retailers about manufacturers warranties and the obligation of the retailer. The contract is between the customer and the retailer. If the product is faulty, the customer is entitled to a refund (with proof of purchase). Whatever arrangement may exist between the retailer and the supplier is of no consequence to the consumer.

As I said, read the offerings of the Office of Fair Trading if you doubt me.

I'm just trying to help consumers being conned by inscrutable retailers.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 354184

Follow Up By: ozromer - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 22:02

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 22:02
Jimbo
I have question. Do the principles of "if it is faulty, you can get a refund" apply across the board?
I took delivery of a brand new caravan which, on later inspection proved to have about sixty identifiable (and now videoed) faults, many of which were serious. My first reaction was to ask the dealer for a refund. He refused and subsequent enquiry of the Department of Fair Trading (Qld) confirmed the absence of a "lemon law" in this country and my lack of that kind of redress. I am supposed to have things fixed under warranty it seems.
Do you have a contrary view?
Des
FollowupID: 354197

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 08:53

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 08:53
Oz,

I'm not sure on that one. It's probably covered by different law; something like the Motor Traders Act or similar.

Sorry, I can't comment on something I'm not familiar with. Try the RACV/NRMA/RACQ etc as a startng point.

You can also take action at VCAT/Small Claims Tribunal.

Good Luck,

Jim.
FollowupID: 354245

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:04

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:04
Shaker, Like Smocky said, If it aint gettin' cold then it aint a fridge,,, its a cupboard. He would be better of buying a $10 plactic box if he needed a cupboard!!!!! I think Repco were in fact marketing it as a fridge!!!! Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 354246

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:50

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 16:50
I agree wholeheartedly!
Having just been involved with litigation at VCAT, I know what actually happens, firsthand.
FollowupID: 354285

Reply By: fatz - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 14:48

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 14:48
Smockey,
Had exactley the same problem. Worked a treat on 240 before I left but hopeless on gas. Brought it back and got an exchange, no questions asked. The new one kept going out but I had it sitting up on a low table. I blocked the air vents directly below the burner and have had no issues since. I have used it on about 4 camping trips since and it has been a dream keeping everything cold even on the hot days (32 - 34) and on extended trips. Not as good as my old chescold three way, but still not bad. Considering the price I think it's a pretty good unit.

Mick
AnswerID: 95401

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 16:06

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 16:06
Yep. I'll swap it over I reckon and see how a newy goes. We had an old Finch previously so I have reasonable expectations, just want it to keep the meat, milk, cheese and dips cold.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 354160

Sponsored Links