Info on Jackaroo Vs Prado

Submitted: Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 17:00
ThreadID: 19861 Views:6443 Replies:12 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks all for your Feedback , I know stacks about the Prado now , but are there any Jackaroo lovers out there that can let me know the pros and Cons of Purchasing a 98-99 Model . I have heard now that they arent as well built for offroad ie bits falling off inside and something about the "suspension shackles " . Any info would be much appreciated .

Cheers K
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D-Jack - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:01

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:01
My opinion, my 99TD suffered broken speedo head unit, window regulator, clutch, alternator, diff and injector harness all in 12 months. I don't really need to give you my opinion do I.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 95412

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:15

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:15
mine hasnt lost any bits inside or out, 'shackles' - sorry champ, all coils since about 1990.

Search for recent posts re - jack advice, been heaps in the last few weeks.
AnswerID: 95413

Reply By: Mark (Geelong) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:31

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:31
I had 98 model 3.5 v6 and covered 200,000 klm in 4 years of trouble free motoring
This consted of 60,000klm towing camper trailer in all types of roads all over northern Australia with 2 adults and 4 kids
Clutch was probably a bit tired at end of lease
I went for nissan diesel next vehicle as with 4 kids needed extra room although there is not much difference inleg room but a little more cargo space behind rear seats
my thoughts
Mark (Geelong)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95417

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:37

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 18:37
As I mentioned recently My sister and brother outlaw traded thier 4 year old td jack in on a shiney new prado. for no other reason than it was new and shiny with petrol stonk for towing their new c.t. I qustioned her about the jack and she couldnt think of anything that had gone wrong. It had done a few decent trips with their 4wd club and surprised most with its ability. I dont know what the price difference between the 2 is but I would go the prado if they are similar price coz they are discontinued. I feel some of the jacks supposed problem stem from the fact they are not a holden and the technical local knowledge is not as complete as it would be for there own product (dunnydores). If the prado is considerably more you can decide if you want to pay the "toyota premium" which I feel in alot of respects is warranted or compare the jack to the paj.
Other thing to consider if as your earlier post suggests you are looking for a large 4wd for which there is no obsticle that a winch, lift kit and maybe bigger rubber cant conquer then there are only 2 choices patrol or cruiser, perhaps a landie but I think there smaller
AnswerID: 95418

Reply By: 1 Mark - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:29

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:29
I have had my 99 T/D Jack now for 4 years and am more than happy with its performance, reliabilty and fuel economy. I use the car for what is was built for and never had any trouble whatsoever. Drive both T/D,s with and without trailers if you can and you judge for yourself which of the 2 tows better under load and for that matter without. You will be surprised. But at the end of the day you will have to decide which suits your needs and budget BUT make no mistake the Jackaroo is a very underated capable 4wd. My opinion.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 95430

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 21:07

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 21:07
There would be very few cons to buying a '98-99 Jack. It is much more powerfull than a Prado of the same vintage, is bigger inside and does not have a dash that rattles or a random engine harmonic vibration (petrol). It's ramp over is not as good as a Prado because of the low slung transfer case but in the 120K I put on one there was nothing I could not avoid with it. Rear wheel articulation is best in class which is a BIG advantage. The Prado has the big tanks but for your use the 90L the Jack carries should be sufficient. If you can stretch to a later Wide Track (2001 I think) version all the better. A shift on the fly system came in sometime in '99 I think. They were making this (basically the same) model for over 10 years, it's sorted mate.

The only major con maybe getting it past whoever is giving you this information you are hearing. LOL.
AnswerID: 95440

Reply By: Robbg - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 00:08

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 00:08
I purchased my 98 petrol Jack nearly 5 years ago with 70k on the clock and it's now done over 170k. I've had zero probs. I haven't even replaced the disc pads or shockers yet, although I admit they're getting a bit tired now. I've towed a Jayco Dove up to Queensland and into central Aus several times - just set the cruise control and no worries. I've recently had doubts about keeping it for a big round Aus trip in a year or so, but am now thinking I might hang on to it and start adding the goodies it needs for the trip (esp decent suspension and tyres).
Rob.
AnswerID: 95472

Reply By: jackablue - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 07:32

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 07:32
Ive got a 98 se petrol no problems. I think the bits falling off inside was from an earlier post about an interior light globe coming lose. Hate to be out bush with no interior light.
AnswerID: 95483

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:07

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:07
Yeah, that was mine, the only problem I had witht he Jack of it's own making. I got it on a flatbed back from Innamincka straight away, was not going any further without that light. LOL. Wait hang on, there was one other problem, the number plate cover came off after I got an emu dead midships....
FollowupID: 354250

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:37

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:37
I'm up to 5 years and 97km with the 99 SE TD Jack - been good to me and I like it as a conveyance - I find it comfortably in the city or the bush and I like the driving egonomics - have done a few good bush trips and it always gone well. I could easily own something else but I chose the Jack and have stuck with it - they all have quirks, limitations and plusses - one thing they all share is high spec mechanical design factors - designed to provide power with economy and gain low emissions. Only thing is that the gizmos have to be replaced if they falter - that can cost good money at the dealers and the rip offs can be a shocker - no way to avoid that with any make of car now.
AnswerID: 95490

Follow Up By: jackablue - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:59

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:59
Hey Banjo is your ARB compressor mounted in this area.
link text
Thinking about getting one.
FollowupID: 354249

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 18:12

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 18:12
Negative - mine is on the other side of the engine bay right up the back.
Can be seen at:
http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/darian
Stagger through to the Jack Campo page.
FollowupID: 354292

Reply By: Savvas - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:32

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:32
My Jackaroo Monterey is an 11/99, which is among the first of the 2000 model year.

Now 5 and a bit years old, 90000km, no major hassles. The front shocks gave out at around the 70000km mark so I took the opportunity to replace with OME shocks all round and coils at the rear. I haven't looked back. No dash or body rattles other than the contents in the jack compartment working their way loose sometimes.

The 3.5V6 is a gem, but thirsty. The 3.0TD diesels are high tech and quirky. But once you know the quirks and how to deal with them, and as long as it's not an unfortunate unit like D-Jack's above, you will get a lot of satisfaction.

If you can stretch out to the 01+ widetrack, you will get a better ride, straight line stability and a 20mm lift in the rear.

Click here for more Jack info
AnswerID: 95494

Follow Up By: Savvas - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:33

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:33
FollowupID: 354254

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 15:58

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 15:58
got off the phone to a mate who had a v6 jack and i asked him how it was going with this thread in mind - he had sold it due to the ongoing problems he was having and the expense of fixing things like starter motor which was about 5 hours labour coz the exaust system needed removing and the clutch. he mentioned other things as well - but he reckoned the problems may have arrisen from someone taking it swimming coz there was evidence of this
AnswerID: 95532

Reply By: Willykj - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:13

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:13
Hi,

Have had a 99 V6 petrol Jackaroo since new. No problems whatsoever - replaced shocks at around 70K. Been to Kimberley/Pilbara - Birdsville/Simpson & Cape York etc etc

Willy
AnswerID: 95668

Sponsored Links