Patrol auto front hubs

Submitted: Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:14
ThreadID: 19867 Views:1813 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone found a reliable way to change the operation of these
hubs from auto engaging to only engaging in locked mode.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:29

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:29
G'day Squiz,
Not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve??
The auto hubs are ok, but the term they use "shift on the fly" is, as far as I'm concerned, a real misnomer. You can only "shift on the fly" if you have locked the hubs in using the wheel brace beforehand. That way the front drive shaft is already turning at the same speed as the rear shaft (courtesy of the wheels doing the work), so that when you change at (say) 60k/h from 2wd to 4wd (high range only) you can do so quite safely. If you have not locked the hubs beforehand, you must stop (or come very close to a full stop) and then select H4 or L4.

I have changed my auto hubs to manual locking hubs so that i can use low range without having to have the vehicle in 4wd. This is handy for very slow manourvering on hard surfaces (either forward or reverse).

If that is not what you meant in your question, please explain further....
AnswerID: 95429

Follow Up By: squiz - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:32

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:32
I don't want them to engage unless I lock them
Just like manual hubs.
FollowupID: 354180

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:57

Friday, Jan 28, 2005 at 20:57
Fit manual hubs then.
FollowupID: 354185

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 10:28

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 10:28
I know what you mean a misnoma Roachie but if you leave your hubs in Auto and stop then select 4H and take off you can now change between 4H and 2H on the fly because the hubs are now locked!! But you won't be able to check this now ;-)

Leroy
FollowupID: 354385

Reply By: Member - Maurice F (WA) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 00:55

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 00:55
get them from ARB $185 good quality too
Maurie
AnswerID: 95477

Reply By: Kings - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 20:42

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 20:42
OK experts I'll bite.

Do you mean that when I shift the lever into 4Wd when I approach a soft spot on the move, that the thing does not actually engage 4WD and subsequently transfer drive to the front axle as required?

I thought that the manual locking process (which I do in steep terrain with the wheel brace) ensured that the front hubs were locked to the front differential via the drive shaft from that point on, enabling traction and engine braking to the front hubs. It was described to me as "like a ratchet"

Please educate me!

(Vehicle is a GU auto 3.0 tdi)
AnswerID: 95562

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 21:16

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 21:16
Thats the way manual hubs work. If you don't lock them in manually, then theres drive to the front hub but not to the wheels. Lock the hubs and it all works as planned. Now some exotics, like Pajero's and Patrol's have auto hubs. That means that they lock in automatically as soon as 4WD is selected with the stubby lever, they use a sort of cone effect (like the way an eziout works), so you dont have to lock the hubs in. Patrol's also have a manual selection to positively engage the hubs. So theyre auto with a manual selection also.

The only benefits I see are that you know theyre in, and if you have to reverse and forward to "rock" the car out of a bog, the hubs dont unspool and spool as in an auto hubbed car.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 354316

Follow Up By: Kings - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:48

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:48
Thanks Bonz,

I guess that's how I understood that the auto hubs work on my Patrol, especially the bit about rocking back and forth in sand.

The point about "like a ratchet" was given to me by a bloke who knows a fair bit about most things (I'm sure you have come across the type yourself!) It did seem a reasonable explanation of the downhill effect. IE when you are coasting down hill braking by using the engine via the gearbox in Low range, the hubs should be locked in manually. Otherwise the only engine braking is going to be at the rear axle.

Your thoughts?

Kings
FollowupID: 354475

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:47

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:47
Its conceivable that there would be a "reversing" motion on the front hubs whilst engine braking down a hill, but they would simply unspool and spool up the other way giving you full locked hubs again at the front, I never trusted the ones on the old Paj, although they never let me down, hance as soon as I get into the dirt I lock mine of the Patrol, I would rather know theyre in.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 354487

Reply By: Leroy - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 10:25

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 10:25
Dunno why you want to do this! You could install aftermarket hubs like Warn then you have 'true' manual locking hubs OR you could ignore the 'Auto' position on the hubs and pretend it says manual and when you want to lock your hubs, jump out of the car and lock your hubs.
I reckon the auto hubs are a great feature.

Leroy
AnswerID: 95615

Sponsored Links