Winching & Batteries

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:55
ThreadID: 19880 Views:3962 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
After getting quite a shock at just how much my Pathy is not worth as a trade on a new 4.2 Patrol I am now considering keeping it for a few more years (as it is worth more to me) and getting a second short wheel base 4wd for fun and day drives.

This will mean I want to put a winch on the Pathy(yes, struts and heavier springs are on when the Sahara Bar went on)....now a question for those winching and battery experts....

I have a Waeco Thumper and an AGM Remco 100a/h battery in the rear, with a redarc controller to be installed this week. I do not want to put another battery under the hood. If I use the winch just off the cranking battery can I use the AGM Remco to jump start if I flatten the main battery??? Can I wire the winch directly to an AGM??? I know the Thumper can crank the Pathy but just not sure which is the best way to go???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:12

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:12
Moggs,

As you probably know the Redarc has a wire on it (can be fitted with a switch) which simply needs to be grounded to hook the two batteries together for just this purpose.

These batteries do not have a CCA rating on them so it is hard to be sure whether it will do the job. They can however be tested for a CCA rating with a battery analyser. Chris at Battery World, Wantirna has one and he tested my 100 amp Lifeline AGM and it showed a CCA of 700 which will happily start my car. I would guess, but wouldn't guarantee, the Remco is similar. Get him to check it for you, it takes about 30 seconds.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 95501

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:17

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:17
Thanks Jim, I got Chris did the original install after your recommendation. I will have another chat with him.
FollowupID: 354257

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:25

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:25
Moggs,

Did he do a good job?
FollowupID: 354259

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:28

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:28
Yep, was very happy with the service and advice. Nice guy to boot....had a good poke around is Rangie which looks like a fun weeked driver. I would recommend him.

One thing I did find out though, he can recondition a Thumper for $180 - just replaces the 4 sealed batteries inside and reseal. Still expensive for A/h's but it is a misconception that they are a throw-away.
FollowupID: 354260

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:39

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:39
That Rangie of his is one mean beast.

Good news on the Thumper.

Chris is a hell of a nice bloke. I've called him a number of times for advice and help and he's always happy to help.
FollowupID: 354262

Reply By: kiss'n'dirt - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:49

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 11:49
It'll do it easy. I too have an AGM battery and it starts my petrol Patrol no probs.

I would take a closer look at the red arc unit. I went through all this BS and ended up buying an IBS unit from TJM. I'm pretty sure the Redarc unit is still a electromechanical unit like the ARB.

The IBS or DBS are fully electronic now (wasn't before) with a 180 amp relay. It has a auto link button that links your batteries together for starting when you have a flat battery or winching. i went for the IBS because the battery monitor was a god send while i was away for 2 weeks camping. I could see exactly how much power was left in the battery. Some people goes against this theory.

When i'm winching normally, it's 1 minute on and 1 minute off so i'm not killing my main battery and i'm not flogging thebleepout of the alternator. The alternator is the thing to preserve here. A battery is relatively cheap compared to it. By connecting the two batteries together, it does ease the load on the alt.

now, as i said i normally run the winch off the main only 1 minute on and 1 minute off. however if i'm in deepbleep(stuck in water during a crossing or the terrain looks bad), you don't worry about that (when you usually need a winch, you're in trouble) and just link the batteries and winch. you draiin the life out of the batteries and let the alternator charge as best it could.

Your vehicle, you decide. But there isa right way to winch depending on the circumstances. I would still try to preserve the vehicle as best i can even if i'm knee deep inbleep.
AnswerID: 95507

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 12:05

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 12:05
Just remember as was stated previously that some vehicle alternators (cruisers do it) will try to supply the winch after the battery has drained which then causes the alternator to fail/burn out.
Current draw from the winch will be 400 plus, most vehicle alternators peg out around a 100 but will exceed this for a very short period before meltdown.
AnswerID: 95508

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 12:27

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 12:27
ok, thanks for the advice. Got a bit more thinking to do now.......
AnswerID: 95509

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 00:07

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 00:07
IMHO Dual batteries are a must if you are winching and have a few spotties.

Running your main battery dead a few times will kill it. Had this happen before I lashed out for dual battery kit.. 5 hrs of lots of winching, then a 1hr drive back to the pub with all lights going, woke up in AM to a totally fubar battery.
fun when your at woods point.
AnswerID: 95593

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 00:13

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 00:13
Yep, I agree with you Truckster re killing the battery. I however cannot put another battery under the hood due to some other stuff in the way. I don't envisage getting my Pathy into a situation where I will need to winch for hours on end. I just want the winch for the odd time when I get stuck due to the trailer or lack of wheel travel. Just a luxury for me over the hand winch that I have had to get out twice over the years. I will be installing a redarc to the Remco battery in the rear with some 150amp cable - should be ok if I take it easy with the winching re: restng it during pulls. If it doesn't work out ok I will then have to re-assess the dual battery option and move some stuff around in the engine bay.
FollowupID: 354366

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 00:47

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 00:47
Can you fit a battery in the back, or under a seat somewhere inside the car..
or maybe move gear around in the engine bay to fit one in? They have to have been done before on pathys
FollowupID: 354557

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 07:50

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 07:50
Moggs,

Just a couple of things about winching.

You don't need a second battery.

When you are winching the idle speed of the motor must be increased to about 1200- 1500 rpm to keep the charge up to the battery. Putting back what you take out.
This is where a hand throttle comes in handy, pitty most vehicles don't have them any more.

Only winch for a short time, a minute or less and more recovery time for the battery and and winch to cool down.

Always use a snatch block when winching and run as much cable off the winch drum as possible. This will make the winch as efficient as possible.

Help the vehicle move by a little road building or digging the sand or mud away.

Put the biggest main battery in the vehicle as possible. The battery that comes with the vehicle is the smallest one that will do the job but the battery tray is a bit bigger. Fill the tray with a bigger battery.

After the winching, let the motor idle for a few minutes to allow the battery to recharge at a slow rate with little or no power draw. This can be done while the gear is being packed away.

Wayne
AnswerID: 95754

Sponsored Links