baby seat and red desert drawer system - how to set up

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 12:50
ThreadID: 19883 Views:2393 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I installed the 'red desert' drawer system in a LC 100 a few years ago and it's been going great guns.

I now need to setup a baby seat in the rear seats, but as I have used the baby seat support holes for the drawer system, I am a bit stumped. A bit of asking around has not help either.
Does anyone have some good ideas or know where I can go for help?

Also I read a post about a 'fridge drawer' system/plan for the 'red desert' but the link does not work - anyone got any info?

Thanks....Hanso
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BigPop - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 14:38

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 14:38
Hanso,
I had the same problem when our grandson came along - I have a '95 80 series cruiser with rear drawers and couldn't put the baby seat bracket in - apparently from '96 onwards models you can use one of the plugs in the headlining at the rear.
Dunno if the LC100's have the same but I imagine they would or have something similar.

You just need a special extender strap that you can buy - I had to have a special bar installed across the back and bolted into brackets that were bolted to the rear upper seat belt holders as the authorised RTA agent who sells/install said that the plugs in my model are only to hold the hood lining up but the later models are dsigened so you can put a baby seat bracket in.
Might be an idea of you went to an installation place and asked some questions.

Hope this helps
Regards
BigPop
(I never get lost because everyone tells me where to go)
AnswerID: 95524

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:07

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:07
How much was the bar thing? I might need the same...
FollowupID: 354328

Follow Up By: BigPop - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:21

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:21
Truckster,
Not bloody cheap that's for sure - from memory about $180.00 installed - I could've made one and installed it all myself but the trouble is the certification/legal ramifications if something did go wrong etc. and what price do you put on a life - especially when it is one of your own.
This way it is all stamped and approved by the RTA and installed by an official RTA installer etc etc etc - the old 'what happens' and 'just in case' attitude came into effect - "what happens if you do have a bad prang and the young fella does get hurt and you made the bar and installed in contrary to regs etc etc" so it was easier just to get it put in properly in the 1st place.

I take it out when not needed (only 2 bolts where it attaches to the brackets either side) and if I need to take the young fella I just bolt it back in again.

HTH
Regards
BigPop (Pete)

FollowupID: 354334

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 19:57

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 19:57
Chase Truckster up on the fridge slide question as I think he was the one who set up his drawer system with one.
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 95556

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:07

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 22:07
http://www.gqpatrol.com/
then picture pages
then at the bottom below the map of aussie, you will see 3 links there.

Stefan Kossen's Red Desert Storage Mods.
Richard Cowan's Red Desert Storage Mods Pg 1.
Richard Cowan's Red Desert Storage Mods Pg 2.
AnswerID: 95578

Reply By: Hanso1963 - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 14:15

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 14:15
Thanks BigPop, Jack and Truckster - will let you know how I get on with the baby seat. Also will give the 'you beaut' fridge slide ago in the next few months.

Cheers

Hanso
AnswerID: 95637

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:31

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:31
Hey Hanso,

What I did was attach an extender strap to the same bolt in the floor before installing the draws. The extender strap wraps around the back of the draw carcass and parralell up the vertical upright of the back seat. From this strap I attached the normal strap to the extender. IMHO this was stronger than the bolt in the roof and less hassle.

Regards,

Stuart M.
AnswerID: 95662

Follow Up By: BigPop - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:08

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:08
Stuart,
I thought of doing the same thing but was told that the strap has to come straight from the bracket (bolt) and not rub on anything. I was told that even with a small baby in the seat, in the event of a sudden stop (read accident) that there is over 1 tonne of force alone on the seat and the back strap and if it is rubbing on anything that can cause a 'weak point' and it could easily snap so I had to go down the track I did.
Regards
BigPop
(I never get lost because everyone tells me where to go)
FollowupID: 354440

Follow Up By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:24

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:24
Hey Bigpop,

The strap rubbing wasn't an issue for me as I designed and built my own draws and ensured all rounded folds on sheet metal left no edges blunt or sharp to rub through anything. To ensure rubbing doesn't affect yours you can always sleeve the strap with PVC or similar if you choose to go the floor bolt route.

Regards,

Stuart.
FollowupID: 354443

Reply By: BigPop - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:03

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:03
No Probs,
Was told not to have 'anything rubbing it" - am happy with my set up now after all it cost me a small fortune for what it is :):)

Cheers.

BigPop
AnswerID: 95678

Sponsored Links