Spot light theft

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 14:55
ThreadID: 19886 Views:2321 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I was down at Jaycar this morning and saw a kit that enables you to wire your spotlights into your existing car alarm. Not sure how it works but it says that once installed if someone cuts your spot light wires then it will set off your alarm. It cost about $15-20 and will protect up to four spotlights.

Could be worth a go for anyone with spotties worth protecting. Might also be a nice audible reminder to replace that blown spotlight bulb LOL.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray C (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 15:33

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 15:33
It works fine Utemad, within the limitation of any alarm that is. I know a couple of people that have them already. It's quite a neat but relatively simple design
See my reply to Post 95239. As was also pointed out in the same thread "who listens to alarms these days", However while it may not be much use in a shopping centre if the vehicle is parked in your drive or at a motel at least it should wake you up. I will be building one and fitting in the next week or so.
here is the original Silicon Chip link.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30505/article.html
AnswerID: 95528

Reply By: firestang - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 21:10

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 21:10
Is it a case of now having to have the lights which are obviously one of the easiest items to grab removable ?
Do they need to be on the trucks when they arent in the bush ?

Is a look at me ,mines bigger and brighter and more of them advert while in the suburbs really needed .I bet when you park the thing your mind is always on wether those lights will be there at the end of the night .

P.S The frontera that got broke into in East melb cost $700 for the rear passenger door window ,OUCH!!!!!
AnswerID: 95569

Reply By: Nick R - Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 23:01

Saturday, Jan 29, 2005 at 23:01
I thing the idea of attaching an electric fence energiser to the body work has merit, would work well at home where you could earth it well, some of those kick at up to 9000 volts. for bush use 12v versions are available, you then just have to run an earth lead from the energiser to ground when you park,
good anti theft device eh???
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95587

Follow Up By: Utemad - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 00:07

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 00:07
I only have two spotties on my bullbar and they cost $165 for the pair 3 1/2 years ago. I have tried to remove them so I can file the mounting hole out so I can move them slightly further forward but have been unsuccessful in removing them at all so if thief can remove them quickly then they can have them.

I'm not bothering with this device but if I had a pair of Lightforce etc then I would have bought one already.
FollowupID: 354364

Reply By: Glenno - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:52

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:52
You have to bank on a thief who cuts the power cable before undoing the bolts. Otherwise if they cut the cable last, they would just grab them and run.

Cheers,

Glenno.
AnswerID: 95823

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 13:16

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 13:16
G'day all,

Any of you use tamper proof nuts?

Something like this

Just a suggestion. I think the alarm thing is a bit iffy as chances are they'll undo the bolt first THEN cut whatever else is required to get the spotties. Well at least you know they will SECOND time they come back to get them.

Unfortunately, you just can't leave anything of modest value unprotected these days. Very sad.

Smocky.
AnswerID: 95831

Sponsored Links