Tanami Tourer Tents - Good and Bad

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 10:23
ThreadID: 19902 Views:7092 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks.

I have just returned from a 4 week trip though and around Tasmania, which was fantastic. Even bumped into Dave and Michelle at the Arthur River.

I had taken my all new Aussie made 100% waterproof Tanami Tourer on this trip, and was looking forward to using it extensively. While camped at Queenstown we got rain while my wife and I were enjoying the Gordon River Cruise. When we got back, after a day of light drizzle, we were stunned to find pools of water in the "100% waterproof" Tanami. "Not happy Jack". For some reason that I cannot fathom I had actually bought a tarp in Strahan earlier, so I dried the tent out and threw the tarp over the leaking Tanami.

To cut a long story short - it leaked from then on whenever it rained and was not covered by a tarp. I called the suppliers (Direct Camping) as soon as I could get a signal on my mobile and let them know. I was told they would get back to me in a couple of days once they had sorted out what they could do. I told the guy there it was pretty easy . Tanami offered a 100% waterproof guarantee and Direct Camping offered a 12 month guarantee on the stuff they sold against faulty workmanship.

They called back and offered me any waterproofing material I wanted to fix the tent or I could have my money back upon return of the tent.

Upon my return home last week I called to arrange a pickup of the tent (which Camping Direct paid for). My cheque, including freight when it was originally delivered, arrived Friday.

So I would like to give Direct Campng a wrap for honouring their guarantee promptly and with a minimum of fuss, and a pox on the local Aussie manufacturer who I was told "did not want to know about it". Seems Direct Camping are stuck with a leaky tent.

But, in the end, we loved Tassie. Great place.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:16

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:16
Gday Jack,glad you enjoyed Tassie,top little place isnt it.We nearly bought a Tanami Tourer tent but heard reports that they wernt water proof.In the end we got a COI Lightening Extended tent and I can tell you its water proof(12 hrs of torrential rain in the Daintree) and not one drip of water came in.Plenty of wet drips running around outside the tent though!!
Cheers Nick
AnswerID: 95620

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 12:09

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 12:09
Thanks for the tip about the tent, Nic. I am in search of a good replacement, and have been looking at the peaked roof Oztent (had one before and thought it was a good one), but no final decision as yet.

And yes, Tassie is terrific. Can't wait to get back, with a waterproof tent. And with the price of fares on the Spirit dropping it will be sooner rather than later (although not in winter if the "summer" is any indication).

Great place.

Jack

FollowupID: 354406

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 12:01

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 12:01
Was the "local Aussie manufacturer" in Hastings, Victoria??
AnswerID: 95622

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 12:06

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 12:06
Dunno, yet, as I am still trying to find out. Will let you know if I do.
I am afraid "I don't want to know anything about it" is not a good answer for me.
Jack

FollowupID: 354405

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:21

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:21
Hey Jack,

Did you follow the guidelines about wetting in any new canvas work prior to using to complete the shrink process etc around thread and so on. Or did you get straight out there into the wild blue yonder and pitch your tent?

Regards,

Stuart M.
AnswerID: 95658

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:30

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:30
Hi Stuart:

Followed the instructions to the letter. Wet it down thoroughly and let it dry. I had noticed a bit of water inside so I set it up again the following day and did it again. Again water inside, but I just figured I may have given it a bit too much pressure from the hose so didn't worry about it.

The rain in Queenstown had been light drizzle all day according to the guy in the caravan park - nothing heavy at all. But there was a lot of water inside, and three of the 4 arms were wet. The water seemed to be getting in along these. We had nothing touching the canvas to allow it to leech through. All the bedding was pushed to the centre of the tent.

But the big puddle on the floor was coming through the stitching at the base of the tent as far as I could work out.

The guy at Direct Camping admitted that "they had had a lot of trouble" with the Aussie made ones when I spoke to him later on. Pity, as I think it is the best tent I have had in terms of room inside. He did offer me waterproofing, but as I told him - having paid over a grand for it I was not inclined to do that. I had previously had a "factory second" Tanami which, after I had waxed the seams, took no water at all. I was not prepared to treat a $1000 tent as a "factory second.

I'd deal with Direct Camping again, but not for a Tanami. Not their fault, as they are simply resellers.

Jack

FollowupID: 354434

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:39

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:39
Hey Jack,

I have a Tanamai second and I am watering down as well. I am also having made a second roof kinda of like a safari top for the tent. When they cost low $$ to buy instead of the $1k mark they used to sell for then they are worth it as the headroom, space alone and ease of setup is great.

I will let you know how I go.

Regards,

Stuart M
AnswerID: 95664

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 22:58

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 22:58
did you use the stick they provide to waterproof the seams before you wet it down ?
AnswerID: 95736

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 00:00

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 00:00
Hi Eric:

Yep - took ages. Sealed them up (I thought) then hosed it for about 30 minutes. After the first time I noticed water in it and so hosed it again the next day. Still had some water and I just figured I'd used too much pressure. Anyway, I have my money back now so all ended well.

Jack

FollowupID: 354553

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 07:12

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 07:12
Correction to that post Eric ... my "leaky" tent was the Aussie made one. I did not receive, nor use, a wax stick. The tent was guaranteed 100% waterproof. Bit I did hose it down twice.
Jack

FollowupID: 354569

Sponsored Links