Carriage of alcohol in Queenland

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 13:29
ThreadID: 19909 Views:1747 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
There have been a number of posts querying the carriage of alcohol throughout the Top End. For those interested, go to www.mcmc.qld.gov.au for further information.

Hope this helps

regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flash - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:30

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:30
Yeh, thanks.
Bloody disgusting IMHO.
The last western country which banned carrying alcohol for your own personal consumption was probably the USA during the prohibition era.
(If I were carrying alcohol to sell - different story.)
If the aboriginals have a problem with alcohol, that is indeed unfortunate, but why should we be penalised.
Many otherwise law abiding people now have a criminal record because of this disgracefull situation.
AnswerID: 95661

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:49

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 16:49
I had a quick look and saw the natives can still get pi$$ed at the Bamaga pub and the Umagico canteen as they are exempt!!
Doesn't really make real sense to me if they want to ban heavy grog!

Leroy
FollowupID: 354436

Follow Up By: Magnus - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 00:14

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 00:14
Flash,

There are still many dry counties in the USA including a lot in Texas.

Check out this site. In some dry counties in Texas, carrying more than 24 cans of beer indictaes intent to sell and that is a big no no.

Check This

We are not the only Western country with some alcohol related issues.

Cheers

Magnus
FollowupID: 354556

Reply By: locallaw - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:53

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:53
Gidday,I was on hols at a community south of Weipa recently and was limited to 1 Carton of mid or lite Hiss.On a trip into town one of our group went to use the phone and came across a large group of indiginous peoples absouletly blind drunk on heavy's.This happened right outside the police station.I was limited to mid etc while they were able to drink heavy.Where is the justice.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 95675

Follow Up By: Brian - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:02

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:02
Mate, unfortunately another case of our Governments bowing down to a minority group. It is just a pity we can't do anything about it.
FollowupID: 354455

Reply By: kimprado - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:37

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:37
I think I'me going to regret starting this thread, But what the hell...
Firstly I can under why regulations such as this bleep people off (I've been subjected to them myself many times).
However, it's easy to "have a go at the Government" for trying to do something about the problem. The problem is probably more serious than most people realise because they tend to shun Aboriginal communities on their travels and fail to take an effort to understand the difficulties involved.
I've particularly noticed (recently), that travellers are almost becoming afraid to engage Aboriginals in conversation, or even stop to offer help when their broken down along a track.
I don't work for the Queensland Government, or any other Government for that matter. All I'm suggesting is that you get behind this initiative and give it a chance. Otherwise, the problem will become far worse.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 95695

Follow Up By: Brian - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 20:02

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 20:02
Kimprado

Yes, a fair enough comment. I will admit I would drive past if they were broken down on the road. All the same, if I was broken down and they drove past, then I will have to put up with it and not complain.
I have worked with a few aborigines and from my experience they were great but 1 or 2 I would not have fed. They just did not want to help themselves at all and wanted everything on a golden platter. They are a minority and in my eyes the governments do bow to them as well as many other minority groups (the tree huggers, refugee protesters just to name a couple).
There are white people who are just the same. It is a problem and it is a pity we can't wave a magic wand and fix it all. I like my few beers as much as the next guy but for me personally it would probably stop me from going to these areas. It is probably a selfish attitude but that is how I feel about it all. I have travelled a fair bit of Australia and places like Halls Creek in WA are real eye opener. Good topic for discussion and look forward to some other points of view.
FollowupID: 354490

Reply By: kimprado - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:23

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:23
Hi Brian,
Can't augue with one thing you've said. Six months ago we were at real risk of being shot in a town you mentioned. I've come to know that town very well and the problems the whites and blacks face.
Knowing is one thing, but understanding and doing something about it is quite different.
City people need to come to grips with the fact that communities in the North have very limited resources (particularly the Shires and the Police). Time and time again I've seen tourists, including those in 4WD's bitch and complain about the most innain observations during their travels. I wonder why they go there in the first place.
Without a doubt the blacks need to get off their ass and make something of their lives and contribute to their communities. This on-ground leadership won't come from Government. It must be local.
However, it is pleasing to see the Qld Government taking a polical risk. No other bastard is!!
Because I'm involved in the organisation of one of Australia's most difficult cattle drives, I've come to understand many of the issues. Unfortunately I don't have the answer. That doesn't mean I don't try.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 95714

Reply By: Catchy snr - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 00:12

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 00:12
Hi there hope all well Regarding most of your comments about the treatment of our indigenous cousins that one of our polititions was eventually put in jail for making remarks like that , allways a contentious issue ,but I agree that there seems to be 2 laws anyway have another beer. Have a good night Catchy snr
AnswerID: 95743

Sponsored Links