CDMA Tech Heads - HELP - I'm drowning

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 15:27
ThreadID: 19915 Views:2009 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,

Here is a post I made earlier in thje week - I have done it again on the weekend hoping to get more answers .
......................................................................................................................

I finally got my Nokia 6225 CDMA with an in car kit and an aerial thingy attached to the kit which connects to the sexiest black aerial on the bull bar .

I have down loaded a modem driver from the Nokia website and finally got successfully down loaded my email from the opotus website .

The next hurdle is to get a neat ring tone , but I am told with CDMA you cannot download ring tones straight to the phone .

I looked up my Nokia book ( last resort ) and it mentions that there could be a way using Nokia "PC Suite" software which I also downloaded from their site . I think I would have to download this to my laptop and then transfer it to somewhere in the phone through my cable connection .(?)

Can anyone tell me how I should go about this .

I also had an idea that I would like to create my own ring tone . ie dog barking ,
or maybe taking some frog calls off a CD . Is that possible or just a stupid idea ?
....................................................................................................................

Captain tried to help me with this but we were not able to figure out how to create a "midi" file - required by the Nokia software "PC Suite" which I downloaqded from the Nokia website .

Thanks ,

Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robert R (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:02

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:02
Willie,

I have the same phone. Mine goes ring, ring. Think I must be the only person using that now. Anyway have a look on the Internet for midi files. There are a few Free sites. Simply type "midi files' into whatever search engine you use and see what comes out. When you have got one remember where it saved to on your computer, then open the Nokia program "Nokia Sound Converter" and open the midi file. I just tried it and sucessfully downloaded one and put it in my phone. I use infared to transfer but use the cable if you wish. As for using the composer, buggered if I know. Good Luck
AnswerID: 95667

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:07

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:07
Thanks Robert ,
I will give it a go after the tennis .
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 354493

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:53

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:53
Why do you need anyother ring tone apart from the one that comes with the phone?

theres a trillion websites with midis....
AnswerID: 95687

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:27

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:27
Truckster,
Don't be so boring . I have a new toy and I want to play with it . I can't think of anything better than having a fart , a dog barking or a frog croaking from my phone when it rings .
Cheers ,
Willie .
Willie
FollowupID: 354595

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:39

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:39
I was gunna make some smart ass comment about girlies wanting to make their phones sound nicer. Then I saw you were a Robert not Roberta so I guess I better not cos your probably bigger and faster than me.

RR
AnswerID: 95717

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:56

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:56
I reckon your better off with the default RING RING tone, nobody but me has it, when a phone rings, I know its mine...
FollowupID: 354500

Reply By: Ken Wagnitz - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:59

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:59
Willie, you can't convert a sound file (.WAV) like a barking dog to a midi file unless the device you are playing it on can synthesise a barking dog sound. A smart keyboard or synthesiser could, but I doubt the phone can.

Dunno if the phone can play MP3s (my Siemens phone can use MP3s or MIDIs as ring tones). If it can, you could record a dog barking on a PC, or get the sound somehow, then convert that .WAV file to an MP3 file to transfer to the phone.
AnswerID: 95782

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:29

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:29
Ken ,
That is good info . I will check ou what you have said .
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 354596

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:54

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:54
In short, it doesnt look like it is polyphonic which means you cant easily put on your dog barking ring rone.

The upside is if you are keen on getting into it, you can track down a java applett (program) which plays MP3s or polyphonic ringtones. Send this to the phone using your sync cable, then from there set your ring tone to use the applett to open the file. You still need to get that dog barking/cow mooing mp3 though and send it to the phone. Long winded process for not alot of gain.

The other upshot is while tracking down the mp3 player applett you will likely come across all sorts of other handy programs for your phone. I found a cocktail applett which has over a thousand drinks stored in it- I finally found the ingredients to a flaming lamborghini! I think its broken though- it says you only put one shot of rum in a rum and cola.
AnswerID: 96642

Sponsored Links