Purchase first 4x4

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 17:42
ThreadID: 19919 Views:1850 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All. I recently purchased (October 2004) a 1992 Toyota RV6 4Runner with the 3 litre V6 motor and five speed manual gearbox. Although it had 180,000 Km on it the conditon of the vehicle was immaculate inside and out. As an ex motor mechanic and retired Car Detailer, I could not fault this vehivle at all. I took it to our local Toyota dealer for a check over and the RAC. It came back with a glowing report.

Its been fitted with Lovell springs at the rear and has been lifted by some 75mm and came with four brand new SIME ALPINA 31 x 10.50 R15 109 tyres. After noticing a vibration at speeds around 70 - 90 Kmh, I took them in to be balanced. The technician who balanced the wheels showed me that all four tryes were out of round. I can live with this, and will replace with a set of Coopers when the time comes.

Thre main thrust of my question is , can those of you who have owned this particluar model, advise me of any potential weaknesses that I should look out for, and what are their strengths. A new clutch was fitted in Feb Last year. It also has adjustable shocks . It has been a well maintained vehicle and is a real pleasure to drive. Thanks in advance. Now that I own one I see hundreds of them on the road every week.!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greghud - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:01

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:01
nice car yule love it
just keep up the services and it will last ages
sounds like a good buy!?
greg
AnswerID: 95713

Reply By: 80scruiser - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 22:01

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 22:01
Labour intensive to work on which usually means expensive.
Check where the fuel filter is mounted. A real pain to check.
I'm glad I don't have any customers left with them.
AnswerID: 95722

Reply By: Member - Rob J (WA) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 22:02

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 22:02
I owned a 91 model SR5, man, same V6, towed a 16ft full height tandem axle Coromal van with it. Perth, Cairns and return and weekends and caravan safari's, sold it at 120000 and only put a clutch in at about 90000. Had a bit of bother in the early stage with the exhaust manifold warping but once that was fixed under warranty it went well.
I did run it on Mobil 1, and did change the oil at 5000 when on a big caravan trip.
You will enjoy the 4runner if you look after it.
Have fun
AnswerID: 95723

Follow Up By: 4runner - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:56

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:56
Thanks for the advice on mainting it by having it regularly serviced - that I can do at home, but the engine bay is so cramped one neeeds to be a contortionist to get into anything.

Oh yes, the fuel filter. its a sod of a thing to get at, but now that I have changed it, next time wont be so difficult as i worked out a simple and effective way to remove and replace - just time consuming. After market stores sell them for $26 , but Toyota want $57 for the same item. I know where I wont be going unless I am absolutely forced to.
FollowupID: 354565

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 13:06

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 13:06
Alot of those 4 runners you see are probally Surfs. But yeah I've heard the 3.0L V6 is a mongral to work on, havn't had any experience myself with them.

On the upside the suspension, electrics, everything else on the truck is great to work on, I do pretty much everything myself on the ol' surf here (1995 model) and find it in most cases a dream to work on. The 3.0L TD Diesel that I've got is also nice to work on, they are very good performers off road. Drive like a dream on road, I'm sure you'll be very happy.
AnswerID: 95828

Reply By: 4runner - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:18

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:18
Thanks to all of you who posted replies reagrding the RV6 4runner that I purchased. The engine bay is over crowded - but thats not going to be my problem, but realise because of the complexities with this motor cprammed inot a tight space, labour rates are going to be a atd on the expensive side. But with regular maintenace and oil changes, I hope this thing outlasts me.

Its had a cut and polish, and the all the carpets and seats have been shampooed. It looks better than the day I took deliverey of it.

As for the fuel filter, an engineering mate of mine is making a new fuel line and we are moving the filter further back - it will have a protective cover made for it. Removing and replacing will take all of ten minutes instead getting a stiff neck and skinned nuckles trying to remove it from its existing position.
AnswerID: 96166

Sponsored Links