simpson desert

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:02
ThreadID: 19920 Views:2972 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a simpson trip in Aug west to east. Several vehicles want to tow o/road trailers....3 ultimates ..1 jayco Finch with independent suspension. There could be a subaru forester with us all others 100 series or patrols Any comments
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: locallaw - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:53

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 18:53
Gidday,Going west to east no probs .The other way a lot harder.We went via the WAA line but no campers.Had a good time and glad we had three 4bys in the group.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 95686

Follow Up By: snailbate - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:27

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:27
hi guys
there are chicken runs to help off road campers over the dunes all 1100 of them i would not go in August as it is i little to hot i would advise that you may not be able to carry enough fuel towing a heavy off road camper others have done this but with light off road camper traliers also when the vehicle breaks down the people who give break down service use these chickin runs to o you out of the simpson
good luck
snailbate used 88 lter to cross the simpson
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 354486

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 20:43

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 20:43
what sort of bus mate?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 354492

Follow Up By: snailbate - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:26

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:26
from snailbait to bonz i have a 2001 MODEL Defender which we came from the pink road house side going east we spent 5 days in the desert it was terrific when we got to Birdsville i filled up and put 78 ltr in and we had used 10 ltr of jerry cans i had another 50 ltr which i did not touch we used high range most of the way but some of the dunes did need low range also we had a problem with a broke kone shock which we found out later was the incorrect length for th year model we had agret crossing and we are plannining another with one with the same vehicle
snailbait

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 354693

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:40

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:40
ahhh defender, THE most economical diesel ever sold in this country, that explains the low consumption. Thanx Snailbate

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 354881

Follow Up By: snailbate - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:50

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:50
bonz
not only is it the most economical diesel ever it can keep up with a lot of petrol vehicles what do you have Bonz
Snailbate

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 354883

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 22:26

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 22:26
3L patrol mate, should be fine but not as frugal.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 355413

Follow Up By: snailbate - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:33

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:33
hi Bonz
What a extra 1 ltr or so see your freinds about a chip up grade these early vehicles were down tuned becaused of fuel requirements also join a Nisson club and you will have a lot of knoweldge within the club
snailbait

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 355582

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:39

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:39
I got the chip thing, and yes t will not be much worse, but the Landy engine is just a purler

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 355584

Reply By: Member - David 0- Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:28

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:28
You can tow trailers, it is more difficult but it can be done fairly easily.
I personally hate the idea of people towing trailers over the dunes, except on the rig road. It just makes a mess of the dunes for those following. Still if you really really must, then please let the tyres down on the vehicle and trailer. If you feel wheel spin, let em down more. It makes it so hard for others following you if you mess up the approaches to the dune top.

If you dont have to tow em, don't.
AnswerID: 95692

Follow Up By: snailbate - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:58

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:58
hi member david
i would sugest you try out your rig on a sand beach fully loaded near your home with people to help you if you get stuck
the amount of fuel you need to tow a heavy camper on sand is high and you need to carry a lot of gear with your camper trailer test out the sand near your home first and then evalute,
snailbaite

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 354889

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:32

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 19:32
Kenn,

is there a particular reason why you want to take trailers? A lot of people take them to the desert fringe and discretion is greater than valour, they leave them to do the crossing. Met some last June, on their first crossing, and going to go back again.

By August you can expect the tracks to be pretty loose and although West to East is the easier way. I think you will find most of the people having done the crossing in here would reccommend you didn't cross with them for the potential damage and I am ignoring the damage to the Jayco. ( doubting smile here from me ) The chopping up of dunes in soft sand as you want to get through with the extra to pull a trailer is preferred not to happen.

I am not doubting a Forrester may get through but not with a trailer. Imagine reversing to have another go with just a narrow track. Jack-knifing is a real probability.

Despite my comments there are trailer owners who have succeeded and will argue I am wrong, they don't see any extra damage.... That of course damage to vehicles aside, I nearly lost a front mudflap and a rear tray mudgard to sticks out from the side of the tracks on the Knolls track at a sharp corner.
AnswerID: 95693

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:45

Sunday, Jan 30, 2005 at 21:45
Ultimates OK but leave the Jayco behind. (post 19540) IMHO not strong enough. Towing vehicles ideally should have 115+ KW of power to tow a trailer in soft sand conditions or they will do it really hard. The Forrester will struggle for clearance & bottom out regulary so will need to pack very light & not be towing anything! (concider transferring gear/fuel to others) If the drivers towing campers haven't done so in sand before I suggest you do so on a practice run to the Border track or Stockton beach etc. It's not easy backing a trailer 80m down a sand dune. You may get alot of negative responses to your post because too many novices attempt to tow accross the Simpson with no idea about tyre preasure or driving skill & with 4 trailers then a Subie, no one will want to get stuck behind you if you don't know what you're all doing.
Have a great trip. Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 95719

Reply By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:25

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:25
As a few above have said, if at all possible leave the campers home. we done the simmo 6 years ago and again back in august last year and the difference was mind blowing. you can probably get over all the dunes except a few will need chicken tracks but you will assist all the other camper owners who cross the simpson in chopping up the dunes. we had 5 vehicles in our party and all but one owns campers and we all left them home. If you can't rough it in a tent, chances are you wont like the desert anyway. We spoke to quite a few people in Birdsville and they all believe if the desert keeps getting chopped up by campers it will be closed to tag-alongs with tour leaders within 5 years. So take tents, stop and set up camp earlier and enjoy the solitude.
AnswerID: 95748

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:33

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:33
Above should have read: ""it will be closed to except tag-alongs with tour leaders within 5 years""
FollowupID: 354561

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:26

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:26
We did the same trip last Sep/Oct with 2 LC100's each with off road campers and had no problems. We took the french line. The accusations that camper trailers chop up the track are very misplaced (IMHO). The more relevant factors are vehicle, driver and above all tyre pressure.

I wouldn't reccomend the forester take a trailer under any circumstances but the 100's & Patrols will be fine but make sure you run sub 22psi in the tyres including the camper trailers.

We found it a bit hot (35+) so going earlier than Sep would be more comfortable.

My website below has a bit more info as does this (EO) site which was a fantastic planning resource for our trip.

Gaz
AnswerID: 95816

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 02:02

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 02:02
I agree with your remarks about vehicle, driver and tyre pressure but you have forgotten the most important "conditions" I have seen the simpson as it was last year where I drove over Red in high range the desert was that firm. I have also seen it where 2 experienced drivers with an 80 series cruisers were snatched out 5 times each in the same day. without campers connected. Problem is Gary, kenn may not have lockers front and back like your vehicle and last year the simo was so firm I could have driven a commodore across, if he hits the desert after a few months of no rain and stiff winds, has a standard rig and is a little inexperienced then I wonder how he will feel when he has to turn around or head south as one guy we met 6 years ago did after spending 6 days out there and not even making it 2 thirds the way across. I love using my camper, and I know I would have had no trouble towing across last year (as a matter of fact, a disco was recovered from out past red and was towed over by the birdville recovery vehicle) but I just don't see the need to make the powers to be to look closer at closing another area. Problem is, if they do close it because of the campers along with other problems of course, I hope everyone enjoyed the use of their campers, because its a high price to pay for 3 or 4 nights of camper mattress.
FollowupID: 354741

Follow Up By: Member - Russell S - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:57

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:57
Glenn,
I was the other 100 series with Gary, and agree with much of what you say. The point is, the conditions were a key factor in us deciding to take the campers across. The problem we had, and others would have too, is that we were not going out there just to do the Simpson. Gary's web site gives a good summary of where we went - Flinders, Ayers Rock, Kings Canyon etc etc. We wanted the campers for the other 90% of the trip, and how would we get them back again if we left them on one side of the desert, unless we crossed both ways? Didn't have the time for that. So, our thought was to see how we went from Dalhousie. If it was difficult, we would either turn around or take the Rig Road. As it turned out, at least the western side was quite easy going, and we had very little trouble over the whole crossing - the conditions worked in our favour. If they hadn't we would have turned around and gone around the bottom. In fact, we nearly didn't get into the desert because of the rain on the western side!

With respect to your comment about the desert being closed off to all except tour operators and tagalongs, the cynic in me says that this idea would be promoted by the tour operators, to corner the market........ good for business. I'm not convinced that any of them are more capable or caring than Gary or I anyhow, and a number of them are Duncans anyway - (sorry, only Gary will get that...).
FollowupID: 354761

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:17

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:17
Glenn,

Thanks for your comments. It is true that the conditions we faced were more favourable than they might have been and conditions are a key factor in how easy or otherwise a desert crossing might be so I accept your point in that regard.

I don't however agree that taking campers is the defining factor in track deteriation. We saw far worse track damage caused by non-towing vehicles than we ever caused ourselves even including the times that I had to reverse and retry no more than a few dunes (this due to tyres pressures being too high) - I would strongly argue that vehicle, driver & tyre pressures are by far the greater determinant in the same conditions than whether or not you have a trailer.

BTW although we had lockers and used them I think there are other forms of traction control that in sand would be equally effective. My lockers are more to compensate for lack of wheel travel inherrant in the IFS LC100's. Like Russell I think people should plan to take their trailer (provided their vehicle is suitable i.e power and traction control) but also plan an alternative if conditions are not suitable.

Like you I am concerned about how certain matters are portrayed and blaming trailers for track damage when it is more related to driver or vehicle runs the risk of unnessarily banning trailers - "too high a price to pay"

Gaz

Gaz
FollowupID: 354797

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:18

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:18
Where would you suggest to leave a camper trailer while you did the west-east crossing?
I am doing the Simpson in late June & understand CTs are not really ideal for the desert, but would like it available when we have finished in the Simpson!
AnswerID: 95980

Reply By: Member - Landie - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:09

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:09
I recall reading a story about a couple who drove a Subaru across the Simpson a few yars ago - apparently they had to push/pull/dig all the way.

Check with some locals in Birdsville/Oodnadatta before taking it. In the least, make sure it has appropriately recovery points.

Regards
AnswerID: 95989

Sponsored Links