simple recovery ideas

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 06:31
ThreadID: 19939 Views:1942 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are off on my birthday weekend 7,8,9 of feb, I am planning on doing the lake jasper and surronds. It will be mostly sandy. I Have a 2003 nissan patrol petrol (you guys know the one heavy and tough on fuel) I am concerned about getting stuck without a winch and no other recovery vehicle. Would it be worth taking extra wood and jacks for the chance or are the tracks around lake jasper pretty tame.
Guys don't get me wrong I might be new to this forum but not to 4W Driving. If all goes well I will submit photos and info about the tracks around jasper.
I trust my time was not wasted on this website.
P.s cool photos
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:08

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:08
yachty

Last point first. You will always have to answer that one yourself and best not pose it to others. You will be told!

If you go on your own you have to evaluate the conditions very carefully as the level of risk is higher for the one vehicle is a vehicle alone. If there were other vehicles around the area and as I believe Lake Jasper is not isolated and locals use it for boating. You will find it in the trip planning on this site.

If I am going to sand these days I would always take a snatch strap, but usually in sandy conditions tyre pressure is the way to get on top. The lower the tyre pressure the better the flotation. Get yourself a reasonable compressor to get the pressures back and be prepared to do a little work with the tyre gauge. You would save yourself the jacking and sometimes digging.

As long as you don't get yourself too isolated the snatch strap can be used to help another or be helped. If you do get too isolated, then it can get costly to be recovered. Lets face it there have been yachties rescued before, mostly out to sea, some a long way south of you. You have to be responsible for yourself too. One guy I know actually takes the bottom of cake crates to use under his wheels in very soft conditions - the plastic ones.

Have fun
AnswerID: 95756

Reply By: Hedonist - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:05

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:05
Hi Yachty,

Access to Lake Jasper is completely closed until the end of this year following bushfires at the end of last year - Apparently it is undergoing rehabilitation and will be closed for at least twelve months acording to the Ranger.

I believe that you can still get to Jasper Beach and Black Point though - In general the tracks are only of moderate difficulty and you should be fine as long as you let enough air out of your tyres. There are lots of overhanging branches and tight scrub as you approach the coast. The access to Jasper beach is steep and the sand can be quite soft, but it would be a rare weekend that you didn't run in to at least a couple of vehicles in all of these areas.

Minimum equipment would be a long handled shovel, snatch strap, air compressor and a decent jack and jacking plate. I usually carry a bullbag as well.

Have fun,
Pete
AnswerID: 95787

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:01

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:01
I would say if you are running solo, minimum would be a turfor, winch extension strap, tree protector, shovel, shackles, snatch, etc usual recovery gear incase there IS someone there...
AnswerID: 95811

Sponsored Links