02 Patrol Stereo Wiring

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:40
ThreadID: 19950 Views:7057 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I have just put a Kenwood MP3 CD player in the patrol. I went around with a multimeter and sorted all the wires but I think I have made a mistake with the power aerial. I connected the earth on the stereo to the pink in the loom (and left the aerial wire from the stereo unconnected) but I think now that that must be the power aerial wire and the earth must go throught the metal case to the chassis when you screw it to the vehicle. What is happening at the moment is that as soon as you plug the stereo in the aerial goes up.

Also the power aerial connection is a two prong connection with an earth on the side as well, two cables fed into this connection. I have just ordered an adapter from the auto elect. He had an adapter to go the other way - from the stereo to a normal aerial connection and it had two cables with both a male and female std coax aerial connections out. Why did it have a male as you only need a female? I want to install the stereo into another vehicle thats why I will need both adapters.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dublediff - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 16:41

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 16:41
You are probably right about the earth for the antenna, but I think the antenna is powered from the purple with white stripe on the nissan loom. The antenna in this vehicle is a two stage one, that is, one is the metal extended one, and the other is in the rear side window. Thus the need for a two pronged antenna connection. This cable connects with a single type (standard concnnection) near the front passenger side panel - up high towards the top of the plastic panel. You can buy any old antenna extender cable from autobarn, repco etc and fit it here. I left my standard two prong cable in place for when I replace the standard radio, but you could probably pull it out and put it into the car with the nissan radio. Cheers.
AnswerID: 95867

Reply By: Groove - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 22:19

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 22:19
I recently put a new stereo in my GU. A company called aerpro (www.aerpro.com) makes harness' that have a nissan connector one end and a pioneer, kenwood etc the other end. With a harness like this you can basically unplug the old stereo and plug in the new. They also make the neccesary antenna plug to suit the odd one in the nissan.

Im hand with a soldering iron but for $15 I could not resist the harness. It literally took 15 minutes to put in the new stereo, and I will easily be able to remove it if I change cars.

AnswerID: 95938

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 22:27

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 22:27
H2O,

If you still haven't found a wiring diag I will try to find mine. I downloaded it from the install doctor but I checked earlier and the site is not working at the moment. I have a print out and made up my loom for my pioneer unit I installed a while back. Just yell.

Leroy
AnswerID: 95940

Reply By: dano01 - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 22:52

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 22:52
I put a JVC cd player in my gu also found the two prong plug. I found out that the standard stero uses a multi directional aerial. You will see in the one of the rear windows a aerial in the glass it looks like a demister panel. That is connected to the little wire on the plug. You can cut the plug off and use a generic plug with either the thick wire or both wires.
AnswerID: 95947

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:16

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:16
Don't cut it off!!

If you look behind the passenger kick panel you can see where the electric antenna comes in and disconect it. You can then buy an extension lead to run from this point to the radio.

Leroy
FollowupID: 354758

Follow Up By: H2O - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:27

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:27
Thanks for all the advice! I chassis earthed the unit and connected the aerial to the pink wire and sweet. I enquired at Autobarn about those aerpro harnesses and they said they are only listed for Patrols up to 1997 - and thats what the website says. Anyway too late now as I have already soldered the wires. I have also got onto adapters to go from the two pin aerial connection for $8 each. So I will need two - one for the vehicle and new stereo and one for the stereo to fit into an older Patrol. Thanks again!
FollowupID: 354759

Follow Up By: Groove - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:42

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:42
Too late for you now H20 but in case anyone was doing the same thing the harness that aerpro sells for nissans fit my 2001 GU. I forget the actual part number but the web site did not list my model of Patrol but the harness fit anyway.
Cheers
FollowupID: 354882

Sponsored Links