How's a Toyota 4Runner rate??

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 14:50
ThreadID: 19958 Views:2351 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all.

I'm looking at lashing out on a new vehicle. I've got plans to head around Aussy next year. I'm thinking of a 'Cruiser but also maybe a 4Runner ( big enough for one, maybe 2 people). Are 4Runners actually a hilux but just in a wagon body or are they the same mechanicals/ running gear as a Surf & therefore nothing like a Hilux (& therefore probably a bad choice from what i hear). As much as I'd love a Cruiser, they are too big for before/after the aussy trip for general use & therefore I'm thinking of something smaller like a hilux but.... in a wagon shape.

Cheers in advance

Ro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 14:53

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 14:53
4 runners are just flash hiluxs surfs are kinda a mix of hilux and prado
AnswerID: 95850

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 15:04

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 15:04
Gday Rowen,got a 4 Runner for that reason,cruiser was just to big for 90% of what we wanted to do.Never looked back.We went away with 2 adults and two kids for three months in 2003 and had plenty of room.(roofrack)Cheaper to run,could sneak into tight places without damaging the paint work,good build quality and plenty of after market parts ava. to trick it up.The only thing lacking is power(diesel one anyway) but I can live with that,gives you more time to enjoy the country side.
AnswerID: 95854

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 19:20

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 19:20
G'dy Rowen
I've got my 4runner 4 sale in the trader section of Exploroz if you want to check.
I've lashed out and bought a 2001 Praydo 3.0l td and I can assure you the 4runner can make it look sick, mind you the Praydo is stock standard.
The 4skins are a very good tourer and rough country 4wd when prepared and driven accordingly, especially for 2 people.
We did one trip to Birdsville, Maree, Cameron Corner and back home with a fully loaded vehicle and averaged over 8klms per litre.

Safe travels
Jim-Bob
AnswerID: 95893

Follow Up By: Rowen - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:57

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:57
G'day Jim-Rob

Cheers for your response mate.

Looks a great rig. Very Interested. Can i ask how the diesel pulls? It's not a turbo is it? As much as I'd like the diesel, i'm still contemplating the V6 (...& maybe carry extra jerry cans??)

I look forward to your response

Ro
FollowupID: 355015

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 19:37

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 19:37
Dunno what you've heard, but the 4 runner and surf are identical in the body and suspension (pre 1996 anyway) and are very similar to hiluxs. You'll find that lux's have a rear leaf spring setup, 4 runners and surfs are coil sprung in the rear. From my understanding the 4runner/surf and Hilux both have a very similar torsion bar IFS.

AnswerID: 95896

Reply By: Tuff60 - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:38

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:38
I often go bush with a pair of 85 4Runners, they perform fantastic, use heaps less fuel than a cruiser, and fit places cruisers just don't go. Don't know what year your after but if it is older go for solid front axle, over IFS as they take far more wear and tear and abuse, plus spares can be sourced from hiluxs. I have been contemplating for a while swapping the 60 body for a two door 4runner body for weight and size reasons. Huge job I know, but bullet proof driveline and a light weight body. As someone else said, apart from engines lots of interchangable parts on pre 90 4runners/hilux.
AnswerID: 95963

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:43

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:43
Hi Rowen,
I had a '91 4Runner 2.4 petrol before I got the patrol. The 4Runner was a great car. My wife & I did a few trips to central Aus, Flinders etc and many trips around the Blue Mountains and southern highlands. Never missed a beat. Comfortable and capable, even with IFS. Once the kids came along and we got the camper trailer it was a bit underpowered, but apart from that it was faultless. If you go for the V6, I think you'll be more than happy.

Rob
AnswerID: 95986

Reply By: Rowen - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:43

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:43
Thanks for your responses guys.

Im pretty keen to go ahead with getting a good 4runner. Are Turbo diesel's 2.8 rare? i see a few around but not many. Do the turbo's go alright? As much as I'd like the diesel, the V6's are tempting. As long as you take plenty of spare fuel in jerry's, is petrol OK for the outback ( obviously not as ideal as diesel with hot weather, maintenance & all that )

Cheers in advance

Ro
AnswerID: 96229

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 13:56

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 13:56
The
V6's are an ok motor, but they are expensive/pain in the but to work on. So the 2.8 would be a good option. I'm not even sure if the Oz models came with a turbo from the factory (I may be wrong). You could always put a turbo on one aftermarket but it would be expensive. Or you could look around for a good 1kz-te powered surf. :-))
FollowupID: 355026

Follow Up By: Jim-Bob - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 19:33

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 19:33
G'day Rowen
Jeff's is right about the V6's and they are also very thirsty.
The 2.8's are not factory turboed,after market approx $2500.
My 2.8 pulls harder than my 3.0 Praydo, very easy to drive in low range over rocky terrain.
Just a few points about petrol, it is not available in a growing number of communities, not very wise to carry jerries of it inside the vehicle and you dont get anywhere near the economy of diesel.
I'm very negotiable about the price of my 4runner.
Safe travels
Jim-Bob.
FollowupID: 355072

Sponsored Links