V8 into GQ

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 17:57
ThreadID: 19967 Views:3200 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,
I wanted to hear from anyone who has put a V8 into a GQ. I have a 1990 VQ Statesman and a 89 GQ patrol. i have done heaps to the patrol, but am now living and working in Perth, and the big girl drinks me under the table, although its amazing the difference a set of spark plugs makes to fuel economy!!

the statesmans body is starting to show signs of a hard life, and i am considering trading it for something else a little smaller. at the end of the day i will still have two vehicles with all the ongoing costs that that involves, registration, insurance etc. the statey is currently more fuel efficient than the patrol, and i wonder firstly will that carry over with the conversion, secondly does the motor bolt up to the gq's gearbox and what you guys rekon i should do. My kids love the forby, we get a way camping alot, but driving it around town is bloody expensive.

any suggestions or tales of your own experiences would be appreciated...

Hano
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 18:57

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 18:57
this would be more of a lifestyle choice than one that made economic sense. To swap motors would be quite involved with the efi etc. IF you found a place that spacialized in such conversions you could get an all up price but it would still run into 000s also your gq is probably about a ton heavier with the aerodynamics of a brick so some of your expected economy would have to go west and then you have a statesman without a donk do you try putting the gq motor in it?. If it is round town running costs that concern you it would prob be cheaper and more economical to go gas. In actual fact you will find your cheapest option is to just have your 4by and pay the money at the bowser I bet if you do the sums you will come to the same conclusion
AnswerID: 95889

Follow Up By: Hano - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 19:12

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 19:12
Hi Davoe,
you are probably right, i have had both vehicles for a while and having read about it in a mag it seemed an option for a while. Are there things i can do to the existing motor that actually work- what about carby set up, or high clone thingy, are they just gimmicks by the way?? I have gone to extractors and not noticed a lot of difference. Gas looks like it takes up a heap of room, and my experience is it causes niggly problems (we had an xb with gas and petrol). i think i will sell the statey and get a bike for dry weather.

Hano.
FollowupID: 354683

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 19:25

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 19:25
Carby? does that make it an rb30 3.0l 6cyl great motors in comodes and sylines but by all acounts underpowered in gqs leading to high fuel consumption. Forget about gimicks to try and save fuel they dont work. best way to get economy out of a full sized 6 cyl 4by is to drive them to the caryard and drive out in a diesal. Dont get me wrong putting the donk out of your statesman I am sure would be do-able and the next best thing to putting a turbo diesal in but as I said as a money saver - no way. As for gas I only mentioned that as an option I reckon it is overrated and a very poor option especially in a 4by (ever seen a gas refuelling station in the backblocks?)
FollowupID: 354686

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:26

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:26
Most engine swaps people talk about cost $7-10 k+.
by the time you buy new radiator $400-600 depending, hoses, mounts for engine, mounting kits for box etc $1000, labour, misc parts $.. etc etc
Then upgrade the brakes, and all the crap the engineers want you to do to pass it -it isnt a cheap or simple process.

Buy a Daewoo Matiz for round town 5/100 mate at work gets! Im thinkin of it myself.
AnswerID: 95906

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:27

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:27
put the statesman in the quokka - add some more of your money and put a v8 diesel into the gq - easy/simple swap but best left to those who either have done a few or lots - talk to brunswick diesels or chevpower. you will get a bit better economy with heaps better power but even better is the way the power is delivered. now if you want to forget the economy wack on a turbo with 3" system and just listen to it growl - can't keep the foot from pushing that pedal right down. as for trying with the original - hiclone forget it. carby - there was a mob advertised for a while doing holley swaps but they need some work to stop starving when not horizontal - there is supposed to be a 4wd compatible one avail but you will need to hunt that down form outside aust - though they may be avail over east. how many kids? 2003 magna (i know but don't laugh too much - remember this for around town duties) at the auctions with 40,000 on the clock, ex govt went for $8100. Now I can't stand the magna (ever been a car so ugly) but there were also camrys (nearly as ugly) and they were only a couple of thou extra. for town cars a couple of years old they are ok. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95907

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 22:13

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 22:13
LPG.

That's assuming it's readily available in your area.

Two large for the conversion. Much cheaper than any engine swap and will be cheaper to run than any V8, diesel or petrol.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 95937

Reply By: Tuff60 - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:28

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:28
On the subject of fuel economy, have used those motors in 60's, 80's and hilux's, the best figures you will get are about 16-18 litres per hundred k. The GQ being about the same weight, gearing and brick shaped they should be about the same. the best one I did was an base pack 80, that gets constant 15's highway and city, slightly better aerodynamics. Most guys don't go to the V8 for economy, it's for the noise and power and the ability to overtake up hills not to mention the grunt in the bush. And for a certain DIFF BREAKING hilux surf driver it is for doing circle work after work parties. If you want economy go 1st a turbo diesel, or 2nd straight gas(the most reliable way to have gas on non efi motors)
AnswerID: 95962

Follow Up By: Hano - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:30

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:30
Thanks all for your responses. Food for thought, looks like I will be selling the statey, and looking the other way at the pump!
FollowupID: 354785

Reply By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:53

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:53
To be honest, if fuel costs are a concern to you, any engine swap is probably not advisable. They are expensive, you never get your money back and the fuel savings will not even remotely pay for themselves. On the other hand, the drivability benefits are great but I would place this sort of undertaking squarely in the "enthusiasts" category.

I had a HJ60 Auto with a Holden 308 V8 in it. Went well but had a range of 250km's - utterly ridiculous fuel consumption making it in all practical terms useless. From experience, a 308 is simply too small a motor for the job if you are going to all the trouble and expense of a conversion.

If you want a petrol V8 4 x 4, which I would advise against, slot a 400ci Chev small block in for 'understressed' performance.

I also currently own a HJ75 with a Chev 6.5 V8 Diesel in it which is much better on the juice, but a very expensive option to convert properly.

Remember, fuel efficiency has no direct relation to engine capacity - there are many more factors involved than just that.

Plenty of good advice above, good luck.
AnswerID: 96026

Sponsored Links