Three Ways and other "Road houses"

Submitted: Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 19:23
ThreadID: 19973 Views:2210 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I ask some niave questions i know but am I correct in assuming that the roadhouses enroute in the "out back" also have Caravan parks attached? Or merely space to stay the night in your van?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:16

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:16
I think the term "Cravan park" is probably being a bit generous Rick. Most of these places offer a place to park around the back and you can have a shower for a buck or 3. I guess there main attraction is for security; you are a bit less loikely to get bush-whacked.

We tend to try and find a secluded spot off the highway when we are on those sorts of trips; prefer to stay right away from the sealed highways whenever possible.

Good luck

PS: no such thing as a dumb question......
AnswerID: 95903

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:31

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:31
Maybe I was being "generous"... I do only need security some 240 v would come in handy though, we have a shower & loo on board... must remember though to fill my tanks at Camoweal... I obviously havent been to the real outback...You are probably right though staying out of "towns" though... hoons & yobos dont seem to like walking too far especially when pickings are easy in "town"
FollowupID: 354695

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 21:19

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 21:19
Fill Isa, top up Camooweal. "New" Caravan Park (really) behind the pub in Camooweal. Visit Freckletons Store/Museum, classic.
FollowupID: 354705

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 08:15

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 08:15
Bill.......

"you are a bit less loikely to get bush-whacked. "

Is this like, being robbed or something?

Is this a real problem in some areas?

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 354748

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:34

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:34
....another strategy is to stay at some of the smaller "whistle stop" places, often they are frendlier, cleaner and more appreciative of your business than the major landmarks. Another tip, if the place is not on mains power, suss out where the gennie is and park as far from it as you can!!
AnswerID: 95909

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:44

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 20:44
Hmmmmmm I can see why....I am thinking of buying my own GMC gennie that way i could stop where ever and not be worried by people wanting to be to close...LOL
FollowupID: 354697

Reply By: zac_sprint - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 23:00

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 23:00
I have a story to tell about roadhouses. One Christmas travelling from Darwin south along the Stuart Highway the plan was to refuel at the Three Ways Roadhouse and then drive to Alice overnight before the 45 degree heat started to melt the drivetrain.

Well you would have thought that wouldn't be a problem given that the large signs on the Stuart Hwy were advertising the Three Ways as a 24hr establishment some 800km from the destination.

Think again! Upon arriving at the Three Ways It was closed! And there were some 40-50 people camped or should I say sleeping out the front- at 2 in the morning; I shouldn't also forget the poor bloke who ran into a horse 2 kms out from Tennant Creek ruining his van and holiday south.

Well the story was that they couldn't find someone to do the night shift so they just closed up shop for the night. Had to wait till 6am before refuelling and you guessed it- made it to Alice by midday travelling at 60kmh because it was so hot travelling at higher speeds put the engine temp. in the red. I passed many cars on the way pulled over the side of the road with overheating problems.

Just goes to show- accurate information in the outback is vitally important- get the wrong information and it could mean the difference between surviving and perishing.

AnswerID: 95948

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 23:56

Monday, Jan 31, 2005 at 23:56
Yes most Roadhouses have van parks and they usually have power.
Drive the 25k sth of 3 ways to Tenant creek where the fuel is about 15c ltr cheaper at the centre of town servo this will save you enough to stay at the van park there which is very good. I know that means doubling back but its worth it.
If you do not need power then go 80k nth of 3 ways to Banka Banka Station (right on the Highway) where the ablutions are 1st class and real green grass to camp on. They even have happy hour and seel refreshments to boot.
We usually find a quiet place off the highway behind scrub for the overnight rest.
Between Camooweal and 3 ways there are a no of windmills and a lot of travellers stop at these overnight.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 95955

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 00:13

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 00:13
Hi Rick,

As has been said above, most "outback" roadhouses have CVP facilities attached. You will find that standards vary a great deal from quite reasonable to just a place to park on a patch of dirt with basic amenities. My advice is talk to other travellers who are generally happy to pass on the good oil about places they've stayed. Other than that, keep your expectations low and you'll be pleasantly surprised when you happen on one of the better roadhouse/CVP's. Besides, what many of these places lack in facilities, they make up for with character.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 95957

Reply By: tessa_51 - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 08:34

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 08:34
Rick
I agree with most of what has already been said. Just one further piece of advice. If you stay at one of the roadhouses check whether they run the generator all night or turn it off at some stage. A lot (probably most) turn them off about 10pm and they don't come back on until 6-7 am. Not usually a problem but good to know, especially if you are charging batteries or similar off the 240.
Tessa
AnswerID: 95975

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 16:42

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 16:42
If you don't want the "luxury" of bore water showers and 240 v electricity, etc then try using the roadside rest stops. Most are large enough for a couple of van, especially in WA, NT and SA.

Cadney Park Roadhouse (Stuart Hwy,SA) for instance, has free (no power, but you get water and great showers) camping, etc..We did the right thing and had a few beers at the bar and a meal, only seems fair...

Wizard
Prado TD
Gold Coast

AnswerID: 96073

Sponsored Links