Sorry for the Inconvienence

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:07
ThreadID: 20006 Views:2401 Replies:17 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry fort the Inconvienence guys - well have all this tidied up soon- Just ignore him
Thanks
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:10

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:10
Thanks a million :-)

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 96010

Reply By: banjodog - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:16

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:16
Maybe delete all the previous JW posts.
AnswerID: 96011

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:17

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:17
Hi Kerry,

I want to second a suugestion made by Truckster. Can you consider moderating an initial number of posts that new people do and maybe go as far as not allowing accounts that nominate an email address such as Hotmail but rather come via a recognised ISP.

I know this creates extra work but it may be a way of slowing down these people who are very damaging.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 96013

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:56

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:56
Brian,

I have added a new 48 hour freemail registration delay so that any freemail users have to wait 48 hours before they can post. We have also gone through the entire user maillist and profile system to try to find all occurances of this person and remove them. Coupled now with constant monitoring of all new user registrations via another little program. We will see what happens.

If it continues I will remove all freemail server access and/or install visitor post restrictions. This person has been doing this stuff for 9 weeks now. I have also sent emails to the freemail providers with the lists of email addresses that he has been using and requested assistance from our legal people to obtain the records of usage from the freemail providers. This at this stage is all we can do.

FYI: This is the email we received last night after I installed 48 hour delay:
---------------------------------------------------------------
The more you clowns play with me the more I will have
fun with your site . Play nicely and I will play
nicely.

Last warning.
---------------------------------------------------------------

We will work out a resolution to this person.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 354793

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:03

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:03
what a welcome back from holidays hey ?

at least he is silly enough to make direct threats now, gives you guys something to work with. Good luck Dave.
FollowupID: 354795

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:09

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:09
Resolution?? Letter Bomb?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 354868

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:20

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:20
We're leaving him here for a bit - just doing some tracking
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 96014

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:21

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:21
if you get his address can you post it, there are plenty of us who'd like to pay him a visit
FollowupID: 354779

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:30

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:30
Kerry, this one hasn't the intelligence of a ten year old, it is plain to see
FollowupID: 354784

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:16

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:16
David and Kerry,

Thanks for the effort. Hope it has the desired result.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 354796

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:30

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:30
Hi exploroz team

Thanks for the efforts. I second Gajm motion. Post the details and leave the rest to us.

It is a shame someone like that spoils this place

crazie
FollowupID: 354801

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:35

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:35
I was going to post a congratulatory message for the site having just ticked over 20,000 posts; but the shine has sort of gone off it now that the drongo-factor has meant there is no actual post # 20,000.
What a total idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought school was back in now....presumably not "pre-school" though
AnswerID: 96016

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:38

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:38
Whats it done this time.....been sleeping.
AnswerID: 96018

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:52

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 11:52
surely he could be a threat to national security, anyone got a contact at the feds ??? (wink wink)

Good luck chasing this loser off, its just extra hassles and work you dont need.

Thanks Kerry, Brad
AnswerID: 96025

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:11

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:11
Kerry, we all know the immense workload this parasite (and others) heaps onto all the workers at ExploreOz!!

So if any information about these bored, imature serial pests is aquired, then feel free to post the details here. Im sure there are plenty of willing desciples around Aust on this forum that would gladly pay then a friendly visit.....where ever they hide!

Id be happy to not feed my Rotty for a few days and then let him lose!! hahahhah

Just remember there are always many options in solving a rodent problem!!

Matt.

Oh btw, what happens with members who have a freemail address??
AnswerID: 96028

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 14:40

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 14:40
Hi Matt,

The freemail issue doesn't affect any current users, only new people coming onto the site.

Regards,
Juliana.
FollowupID: 354820

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:19

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:19
Guys - I have tracked him down to two ISP accounts being iinet & request. I will be contacting these two ISP's and reporting the usage times and IP addresses used. Hopefully they will be able to isolate the case to the user account and then I can arrange for our legal guys to get the contact details. What a waste of time and a wonderful return to work for me. I have only been on this for a few hours thus far so with careful reverse hacking and ISP contact I will be able to get this person.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 96030

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:25

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:25
Good on you David :)

This site is a great resource, and this bloke made it VERY difficult for those owners of, shall we say, "non-conventional machinery".

Cheers and many thanks - and good to see that you're back.

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 354799

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 15:19

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 15:19
David,

Good stuff. Hope the break was good for you guys and hopefully you won't have too much of this stuff to deal with.

Regards

Brian
FollowupID: 354827

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 16:29

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 16:29
Oh fantastic, hope the little cretin gets what he deserves!! Sic em David!!

Must be a little relieving to know you can track them down and do something about this. They think that they are annonomous and cant be touched.....well you will be touched!! Not in a pleasent, warm and fuzzy way either!!

whoo hooo

Matt.
FollowupID: 354847

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 17:30

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 17:30
David, Michelle, Kerry and Juliana,

It would be good to see the end of this threatening type of behaviour. I know it has been a frustration to Juliana and Kerry, and also the members and users of the site in your absence David, and it is a pity they (J & K that is ) have had to deal with it. They did it with extreme patience. That being said, welcome back and hope you can get the root of the evil, so to speak.

Get the bloodhound onto him so we can see the trail.....
FollowupID: 354851

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:12

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:12
Dave, Good to see we can narrow down the field, its been a fun time the past many weeks. Well done Kez and Julz, you girls keep up the good work!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 354870

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 20:39

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 20:39
Thanks Bonz! Ill be sending another "Sunday report" next week for that!
Kerry W (Qld)
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 354904

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:17

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:17
Evening everyone.

This issue (internet abuse) tends to enrage most normal individuals and 'push their emotion buttons' into top gear.

Unfortunately this is the exact response these 'maggots' are after, and the more we (collectively) respond to this type of diatribe the more they get off on it.

Sooooooooo! I respectfully suggest in future it may be a 'plan', if we don't respond in any manner whatsoever and let David and his team do their thing.

AND never give Internet Maggots airtime.
AnswerID: 96114

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:28

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:28
Yes I must admit I succumbed this morning and whacked in a couple of succinct replys to the posts going up.

Just can't stand by and watch these wallys without doing something!
FollowupID: 354874

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 20:12

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 20:12
and.... find out where they live and go camp on their lawn!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 354891

Reply By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:54

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:54
is this all over this james Willems caracter ? I think I got a reply today and couldnt find it .

what a laugh
AnswerID: 96126

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 20:19

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 20:19
I don't understand the secrecy around this.

Instead of fluffing around the point, why not name the miscreant. How about "Barney Rubble" has been identified as a trouble maker, please all ignore him. This would, hopefully, result in the miscreant becoming bored and leaving.

But what happens is posts get deleted, half of us who are not on all the time log in and wonder what has happened. I have been informed privately that "Flute" has been given the Tijuana Brass and wonder why it is not public.

I believe most of us would prefer to know what is happening rather than guessing. We all understand when we respond to "off topic" posts and have a bit of banter, that it will disappear in due course as it costs the Exploroz team money for it to remain.

The original statement on this thread was "Sorry fort the Inconvienence guys - well have all this tidied up soon- Just ignore him". Why not name him I ask?

If we do not know what is going on, how can we help?

Just want to make this a better place.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 96133

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:13

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:13
I think part of the problem is naming him doesnt do squat, he could come back under any name, they have to find the source and stop it from there.
They deleted posts because the moron was filling the forum with one dozens of one liners, mostly swearing and rubbish, so I personaly have no problem with any posts EO decide they want to remove. We as members do have a great messaging service to each other, so worst case scenario you can get info thru that if need be.
But simply because we feel a post is worth keeping or not deleteable doesn't make it so.
I just ask myself, do I like this site?...yes, why?...cause David Michelle and the team know what they are doing!
FollowupID: 354998

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:51

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:51
A fee of $5 or $10 should be charged to be able to post on this site. Problem solved. David and his team get some more financial support. But still have full membership etc.
AnswerID: 96215

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:06

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:06
Even if the 5 or 10 dollars improves the quality of the post. If we are that tight, donate it to a charity or a good cause like trucksters and Dylan. I for one would jump at the idea. Im sure a lot of others would to. That way we benefit (not having to put have with pests, David and his team having more time to improve the site), David and Michelle benefit, and the people who could do with the funds benefit.

Just a suggestions where everyone benfits except the pains in the but.

Five or ten bucks isnt even a mel these days. Its good valaue to be able to gain from others experience.

Maybe I look at things in a weird way.

AnswerID: 96218

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 12:30

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 12:30
Interesting point Brad, but I think it really depends on what you expect from the forum. If you want it to be "exclusive", then charging will do that. Even a very small amount. People just won't put credit card details in and sign-up for a couple of posts. Then, it is more difficult to kick people off if they have PAID for someting.

If you want to get a diverse range of opinions, leave it free and anonymous. That way you'll get a lot more people contributing, but yes also the pests.

I think the step they've taken with a DELAY is a good option. If you make ita little difficultto jump on and post rubbish, that will push away the nuisances.

Agree with Jimbo too, don't be afraid to put a name up. That way we can ignore that person.

Whilst on my soapbox, remember that the fact that this is a well supported forum makes this site a great one. I joined because of the great depth of knowledge and answers just about everything you could ever ask about 4wd'ing, camping and touring. IMHO, it would be a big mistake to now restrict access too much. We have to put up with a bit of it, that's just part and parcel of freedom of speech.

Cheers all.
FollowupID: 355016

Reply By: Brad and His Disco - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 13:22

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 13:22
Then we shouldnt be worried about this subject then. Just dont read the posts these pests put up. Problem solved.

I never said anything about credit cards, there are other options.

Anyway, leave the trolls, makes for an entertaining medium sometimes.
AnswerID: 96245

Sponsored Links