Gembrook Tracks CLOSING

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 14:21
ThreadID: 20010 Views:5922 Replies:13 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
from outerlimits.

I was at a meeting last night regarding the Draft Recreation Framework for Bunyip Public Land.
It seems that there are going to be a lot of tracks closed. The main reason for these closures is noise from motorbikes and the complaints from local residents.

The residents dont have any specific problems with the 4WD's.

There is somewhere around 60kms of tracks to be closed, most before the end of the financial year.

The tracks ear-marked for closure are:
Lyrebird Tk.
Two Scouts Tk.
Ridge Tk.
Horseshoe Tk.
Steering Wheel Tk.
Rankins Tk.
Lawless Tk.
Burgess Rd.
Goanna Tk.
Pharroahs Gully Tk.
Log Dump Tk.
Some of Little Bunyip Tk.
Sardine/Senset Firebreak Tk.

Also most of the tracks under the power lines that enter the creek gullies.

Some tracks will be re-opened in the northern section.

The draft proposal should be out in about 4 weeks for public comment. I will let you know when it comes out and urge you to make informed articulate comments.

I would like to see a trial of 4WD only tracks in the south (i.e. no motorbikes) in an attempt to keep some of these open.

This will be a big loss to the 4WD community. If any one hears about similar consultations happening you need to act!. It's no point sitting back and then complain that the tracks are closing!

We need to be pro-active!
We need our voice to be heard!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 15:51

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 15:51
Sounds like we all need to write letter and organise some trips....
AnswerID: 96059

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 17:45

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 17:45
A lot of tracks through Toolangi state forrest have been closed also. Motorbikes oncen again the problem. As a rider I don't understand why nothing is being done about loud unregistered bikes in the bush. Closing tracks is NOT the answer. Policing the area would be a start but you rarely see them out there. When they do show up, they sit in well known carparking spots frequented only by people using registered bikes. They do a couple of rego checks and they're on their way again.

To my knowledge, there was no consultation with the public about these closures. I have a friend who lives in the Yarra Valley, he rides and is always looking for constructive forums to voice his opinions. He knew nothing of the closures until we went for a ride and got blockaded by a couple of locals standing in the middle of the road. We stopped and they laughed about how they finally got us locked out of the forrest. As we continued along, we found our regular access routes fenced off.

When tracks are closed for regeneration, erosion issues and safety issues I think that is great. When tracks are closed by people who move from the city to find their oasis suddenly has some not so natural sounds, that just pain sucks.
AnswerID: 96084

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 22:30

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 22:30
I agree with you on the loud bikes, take a run up the high country and every WR400 has an aftermarket pipe on them, loud as can be.

btu the cops have been blitzing Gembrook already in the last few weeks. EVEN REC REGO BIKES>... work that out.
FollowupID: 354921

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:01

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:01
It's a P I T A that guy's feel that loud = power. If the NSW initiative( not sure if it has kicked off yet) on noise works out, it should help to ease some of the problems. Heat proof stickers on all exhaust joints specifying that the bike meets noise requirements. If caught without them, on the spot fine and your bike is impounded. Money would be better spent on these sort of things rather than track closures. Anyhow, I've had my rant...
back to the subject, I'm happy to give my $0.02 to keep tracks open...
FollowupID: 354931

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:48

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:48
Heat proof stickers on all exhaust joints specifying that the bike meets noise requirements. If caught without them, on the spot fine and your bike is impounded

where did ya get this info from?
I knwo the EPA and pigs have been pulling over everyroad bike there is and checking for ADR badge on the exhaust on bikes (also available from a bike shop in melbourne on the quiet), but havent heard this one
FollowupID: 354941

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:34

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:34
It was an article emailed to me by a mate, I think he said it was from Motorcycle News... When I get home I'll see if I still have it on file, made for an interesting read. If I remember correctly, it was supposed to be a 12 month trial in NSW then if the figures (read revenue) look good the ball would start rolling for a nation wide standard.
FollowupID: 354951

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:08

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:08
goodday bruce
how the hell do they hear the noise from two scouts its in the middle of the forest but i do agree stop the bikes or at least make them quieter
my bigger worry with bikes is some of the dheads who ride them coming around corners flatouton wrong side of road weve had a couple of near misses up that way as they just dont care
and i hate haveing to clean blood off my bullbar
lol

steve
AnswerID: 96110

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 22:33

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 22:33
Yea was wonderin about 2 scouts, rankins, sunset, and many more....
FollowupID: 354922

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:11

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:11
Bruce,

Please keep us updated.

Let us know what we can do. I love Gembrook. I spend at least one weekend in three there and understand the problem with bikes.

Why do the bike riders need such loud exhausts? Why is it that you can barely hear a 4000 cc 4wd at 10 yards but you can hear a 250 cc motor bike for miles? The four stokes bellow and thump and the two stokes twang and pop, so that you can hear them from one side of the park to the other. Why do these clowns think that they need a loud pipe to have some fun? I'll answer my own question: they're Bogans.

We need to push the EPA or whoever to get up there with noise meters and issue fines and unroadworthy notices. bleep , I'll volunteer to help moderate these dills if someone will give me the authority.

Anyway, enough bleating. Instead of talking we need to do something. Moaning on this forum will achieve nothing unless we get together and do something.

How about a mass gathering of those who care at Kurth Kiln, or wherever, have a barbie and a meeting and get some plans happening.

I'm happy to set up a steering committee, set an agenda, and do something about it. Anyone who is genuinely interested either mem mess me or email me at jimbest at netspace dot net dot au. I'm happy to set up a meeting at my house to get this happening.

Who's interested?

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 96112

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:57

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:57
Obviously me being in WA I am not aware of the problems, however I like your pro-active attidue towards the problem Jim.

How bout you set up a gathering using the ExploreOz Site regarding this meeting.
FollowupID: 354888

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 20:20

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 20:20
Fair idea Jeff.
FollowupID: 354894

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:45

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:45
Hi Jim & Bruce , I missed some of the 4wdradio shows over the last few weeks, but would assume the VAFWDC would know because they are supposed to have a close relationship with Parks Vic & the DSE, maybe worth a call to them to find out.

Cheers
FollowupID: 354939

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:15

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 19:15
Bruce, Drop me an email of the note when it arrives I would like to respond. Although Gembrook is miles from me I think we should all get behind the oppostition of this type of mindless closure.

Geoff
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 96113

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:50

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:50
The info came from Outerliimts in the trips section from Johnno - hes a club president, and onto thisbleep

Im just gettin sick of how they keep doing this and we have to pull a wombat forest out of our a r s e every few months just to go wheeling.
FollowupID: 354942

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 21:46

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 21:46
Does not matter what you do to close tracks the bikes will get in, there is a lot of frustration in the trail bike fraturnity about unregistered bike riders causing all the trouble. I know noise is a huge problem and that the modern 4 strokes are now noisier than the 2 strokes - they reckon take out the baffles and all the restrictors will give them more go - well this maybe so in some respects but removing the baffle changes the back pressure and as a result can reduce performance is many cases. But the noise is killing this user group - I would rather have a quiet bike and be able to ride in more places rather than having a noisey one and being locked out. Sure if you want you can take the baffles out for a race day at a event or bike farm etc, but why do it in a public place and wreck some elses enjoyment of the bush.
If commenting on a plan of management you should not use form letters, write individual letters and state which trails should be left open and state why ie strategic fire control etc also you could possibly suggest zoning areas - one area for quiet users such as walkers etc another for horses, 4WD's and bikes - the noisey ones away from the walkers and picinic areas etc also possibly suggest one way trails to stop the issue of head ons.
AnswerID: 96145

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 22:35

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 22:35
Dang, I thought some as bleep would have called me selfish by now for not wanting the place closed.. dont walkers have every right blah blah blah blah...
AnswerID: 96153

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:08

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:08
The walkers I can tolerate, it's the holier than thou horse riders that tick me off... I've lost count of how many times I've come around a corner to find several horses and riders standing in the middle of the road. My instant reaction is to kill the engine, save spooking the horses... Still I get abused by these people for riding on a public road. My standard response these days is " Come and see me when you register that horse"
FollowupID: 354934

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:46

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:46
If they abuse you, thats when you get out either the starters pistol and let fly, or the aerosol can starters horn, and blast until theres either no gas left inside the can, or not a horse left in sight.
FollowupID: 354940

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:34

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:34
And what about the horse bleep .

Arrived at my favourite spot two weeks age to find a pile of bleep beside the fireplace. Within a 50 yard radius, 3 other piles.
FollowupID: 354950

Reply By: paj - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:35

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:35
Some of the comments above (especially the list of tracks) bring back fond memories of Gembrook. I spent two years taking Navy leadership students through the forest for a couple of days every two weeks. We were on foot and their standard of navigation was such that we saw most of the unfrequented parts of the forest (and found two woopy weed plantations up in the north western corner!) We used to camp for next to nothing at the scout sites.

The Navy also used to use the tracks for 4wd training courses. I can still remember coming across a Navy V8 Landy up to the axles in a bog on the Northern boundary road with some dope sitting in the driver's seat while four other matelots dug him out. He couldn't get out to help because he had gone on his 4wd course in his good uniform!

Go get em guys, it is too nice a place to be locked away because of some idiots with more noise than brains. I'm in SA now so I can't help much, and while I remember the track names, placing them on a map is beyond me.

Cheers

Paj

AnswerID: 96167

Reply By: Hero - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:49

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:49
Mmm How can they close Burgess Rd, its an important access thouroughfare
AnswerID: 96187

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:08

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:08
if the govt is concerned about bikes then why dont they have an education program to teach these new guys what it is all about, Most of my friends ride ,as do i occasionally, and we are very responsible, but what i notice nowdays is most of the trouble comes from these "extreme" wackers, you know the ones who think they are the crusty deamons of dirt, going out and making a hell of a mess leaving the place a pigsty.

I came across one group a while back, all had the tricked up utes / latest bikes and brand name gear, standing around a filthy site with a couple of green trees on the fire smoking away, which they had obviously cut down. So it showed they had no idea what they were doing.

They need to educate these guys that they can be hardcore but if they abuse it they will lose it, as we all know.

RE- 4wd only tracks, great idea, will save a lot of accidents car vs bike.

Saw a private park advertised in qld that had seperate 4x4 and bike trails which were one way tracks, pretty good idea i reckon.
AnswerID: 96220

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:55

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:55
Check out Yes, AMTRA Australian Motorcycle Trail Riders Association

They are just as pist orf as we are with the a$$hats causing the issues....
FollowupID: 355013

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:59

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:59
Again, its not all bike riders that are the issue. As some blokes are happy to ride a stock bike... I have a bog stock XR400.. For trail riding, and what I do, it has more than enough power..

If I was still racing the state championships on my TT600 (actually a 720 in the end), or the Huskys, or the KTM's I had, yea maybe that bit more power would help, but for just ridin round? Its more the wanck factor than anything... 99% of them out there couldnt use all the power they have standard, or they would all be World Champions.

Motorcyclists are pist off with this crowd that are causing the issues. They are losing places to ride, like we are losing places to wheel. Legal bikes have as much right to ride as we do to wheel in these areas.

Screaming, yelling, stomping our feet at bikes for BEING ILLEGAL, how many people here run oversized tires without engineers, or a second set of Simex's etc etc that are also illegal? Yea they arent a noise problem, but the fact remains, they are illegal. The fact bikes come flyin round corners, shi+ I have nearly been run off the road by Toorak pricks headin to Sheepyard before.... Theres good and bad in both camps.

To be 100% honest, I think bikes and 4wds should get together for a common goal of places to drive/ride. We are both being 'run out of the bush'...

Anyway heres a reply from my club president.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, FWDV are very aware of the circumstances at Gembrook / Bunyip.

Ian Lacey has been in negotiations regarding these tracks (Ian is currently
in Tasmania) but John Partridge (President Victorian 4WDC) has just gone onto the Association's committee and I believe he was at the Bunyip meeting in place of Ian.

As you suggest that the residents are complaining about the noise from the bikes and do not have a real problem with 4WDers. However, you don't have to be an Einstein to work out, if they close the tracks to bikes it will be impossible to get a 4WD in.

I understand AMTRA (Australian Motorcycle Trail Riders Association http://www.amtra.com.au/amtra.html ) are also concerned and also working for some solution but they also complain that it is the "cowboy" element (those who are not in any club) which causes the problem and "stuffs it" for everybody else. I have heard that if it comes down to some of these tracks being closed then there will be a trade off whereby some tracks which are currently closed will be re-opened but this will be negotiated by Ian/FWDV I expect.

FWDV have a Committee Meeting on Monday (7/2/05) night and I know that this is of great concern for them and will be high on the priority list.

JT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AnswerID: 96235

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 16:06

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 16:06
i would love to move back to the crowded eastern states and hang around an even more overcrowded city and have to share the bush NOT
seriosly though if it wasnt for posts like this and on overlander ( a recent post on there bout road rage was a beuty) I would forget how much I dont miss it
maintain the rage!
AnswerID: 96259

Reply By: GuJohnno - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:57

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 20:57
Yes FWDVic are aware of this. This 'consultation' has been going on for a year. Nothing is set in concrete yet.
When the proposals come through I will post it up and let you know how you can respond to it.
What we need is legitamite reasons for keeping these tracks open.
Ways we can have these tracks as 4WD ONLY.
Put your heads together and post up some ideas.

Two Scouts is less than a kilometer from private propery and there's not much in the way to stop the sound from the other tracks.
AnswerID: 96321

Sponsored Links