Developmental Roads Queery?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 22:31
ThreadID: 20026 Views:6280 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
Looks like I missed out on some excitement.
Oh well.

What is the go with all the Developmental roads throught QLD.
What sort of condition are they usually in?
I was sitting here doing some tracks up on the laptop in ozziexplorer trying to decide on the directions we are heading and noticed all these roads.
Some are gravel and some arent by the looks of it.
I did have the name of one earlier, will find it again and post later.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 22:39

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 22:39
I think they are called Developmental Roads because they are ALWAYS under development! Mainly as a result of being washed away during the wet season.

Think they are all gravel roads that are being constantly graded and subject to very variable conditions.

The locals will fill in the picture!

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 96154

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:52

Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:52
Hi Craig

Like Muddy says, these roads are always being developed and upgraded.
If you are after a certain road maybe a search here or on the homepage in EO may find the info you require.
Take for instance the Burke Developmental Road that runs from Normanton through Dunbar Station and onto Mareeba/Cairns via Chillageo is mostly rough gravel dirt.
In June 2002 it was good with rough patches but was much better in June 2004.
They even drive cars on it.
Now that all the station gates are gone and replaced by grids it makes for a "quicker" drive (road conditions pending of course due to weather conditions).
The only gates we had to open and close were the ones between Mt Mulgrave H.S. and after the Palmerville H.S. which we too to get to Laura.
We took the Palmerville Track (went left and camped on the Mitchel R. about 20k's up the track, nice camp spot) just before Wrotham Park H.S. heading towards Chillageo.
This is a rather good road too which has it's rough patches and you can get to Laura in 2 days if going this way.

As for the Gulflander tours, they have different tours.
We choose to do a 3 hour tour back in 2002 due to our time restrictions and quite enjoyed it.
The billy tea, damper and sunset tour would be my pick for next time.
We were told that the ride is not as rickety as it used to be due to speed restrictions.
We have been told the overnight trip to Croydon and back is quite good too.
Hope this helps http://www.traveltrain.com.au/traveltrain_services/Tropical_Services/the_gulflander/Overview.asp

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 96168

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 00:32

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 00:32
Developmental roads were originally built to facilitate the transport of stock in the far reaches of Qld.
However I agree with the others they are always under repair.
Qld has the worst roads in OZ just behind NSW, there ive started something!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 96172

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:29

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:29
So you've never driven much in South Australia :-)
FollowupID: 354965

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:35

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:35
Dodger

Your comment re: the raod conditions in Qld.
Just the way some of us like them ;-)

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 354968

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:36

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:36
as an ex eyre penninulaarian david o I can assure you your comments are spot on certainly dirt roads in west aus are far better - hope things have improved.
FollowupID: 354977

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:54

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:54
Prefer the back roads / tracks myself.

After being around the block 3 times I have made the following observations.
Victoria = 1st Best roads

West Australia = 2nd best roads

Nth Ter = 3rd best roads

Sth Aus. = 4th best roads

NSW = 5th best roads

Qld = 6th and worst roads

Tas = Doesn't have roads only bends but well kept.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 354982

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:39

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 09:39
from owning a Nissan camper dont be concerned about a bit of rough road. They are not just a 2wd they are a comercial vehicle and built accordingly it wont fall apart on corragations. Dont skimp on front shockers however as they take a hammering.
AnswerID: 96204

Reply By: trolute - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:22

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:22
Craig,

As someone living in NQ, my opinion differs a little on these roads. They are all STILL very important to the cattle industry and are good roads once graded. Naturally, after the wet, they can be damaged. I came in from Mt Isa last week, and even the flinders hwy has damage around Julia ck, due to the recent rain.

But they grade the road quite often, and the best thing to do is just call a police station near the road, and ask them. Most cops in the bush are friendly, and they know the roads.

Overall, they are well worth using

TrolUte
AnswerID: 96209

Reply By: duncs - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:50

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:50
I'd agree with TrolUte.

We travelled up the Kennedy Development Rd in 99 from Longreach to Undarra. It was not a highway and we joke about the development the road still would benefit from but we did do nearly 600km in the day and that included having a look around Porcupine Ck area. We also had three kids in the car 11, 7 & 6 so the road can't have been too bad.

Just one more point. We drove all day and saw no other vehicles, so when it was time to make camp we just stopped in a road works stockpile area, not very far off the road. Made camp, cooked tea then sat and talked for a while. Still no traffic at all. must have been about 13 hours without seeing any other vehicles. Just after my head hit hte pillow we heard this rattleing raw then our camp was lit up like we were being invaded by ET. Three cattle trucks, road trains, came roaring past. The dust settled and quiet returned and that was it. We drove for another couple of hours in the morning before we saw anopther vehicle. Point is keep your eyes open for other vehicles even if you haven't seen any for a while and cmap well back from the rooad.

Happy travelling
Duncs.
AnswerID: 96233

Reply By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:18

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:18
Hi everyone,
Thanks a lot for all the useful info. Sounds like the roads should be fun.
We are hoping to try and stay off the main hwys so that we can just bush camp thus saving a bit of money for better things.
Thanks again.
AnswerID: 96355

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 00:46

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 00:46
Hi Craig

In that case get the Camps Australia Wide 2 and you can team it up with the Hemma Road Atlas.
The Camp book shows free camp sites and the Atlas shows you where too find them, if you feel you need that one.
We have been told to get the spiral bound version of the Camp book.
It's better to use and folds in two for easier viewing.

Cya
Tripp'n

FollowupID: 355119

Follow Up By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:08

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:08
Hi,
I have already bought both books, a bit dissapointed by the Camps 2 book as for a new edition it had lots of changes in it already. I downloaded the changes from his website then printed them out and carry them with it, then I sat down and went through the book with a highlight pen and highlighted all the ones that had changes, then when you come across one that is highlighted you know that you need to check the changes sheet.
But there was lots, so now the book is mostly highlighted.

I got the rigbinder campbook and the Atlas I got on special for only $14.95 not ringbinder though, good atlas.
I have also bought a couple of others from this site which gives you camp spots in state forests etc.
So with all this info we should be able to find something.
If not we shall just hide behind some trees. (if there is any)

Cheers
FollowupID: 355120

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:47

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:47
Hi Craig

That is something to think about then.
We have not bought ours yet but were intending too later for our 2006 trip.
You should be ok as most places we have travelled we have seen quite a few people camped in the free areas.
Make sure you checkout those trees properly, if you find some.

Cya
Tripp'n
FollowupID: 355121

Sponsored Links