3.0 GU air flow meter. Problem solvered !!!!

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 01, 2005 at 23:32
ThreadID: 20031 Views:2325 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A few weeks back I read about someone having the exact same problem with their 3.0 GU patrol.

NO ! it wasn't the problem that its only a nissan, so go away you pot smoking hippie vegetarian dole bludgers, as Sam Kekovich would say. te he

It just would'nt go very fast. I had to drive it like I stole it to get it up and going! I had it booked in at nissan, who said they would check out my extended warranty first, before they took off the turbo and checked out the fuel pump !!

GEESE, I thought, would'nt you just put a new air flow meter in the bugger and see what happens. I mean, it's only 240 bucks, and I did say we had dust problems up in the Kimberley last year.

NOPE. They were rubbing their grubby little hands together, not that it was going to cost ME a lot of money, but all the same, COMMON SENSE !

Anyways, I took a punt, bought a new air flow meter, took it in to my mechanic, he put it in and, YOU BEAUTY, it goes like a liitle ripper. Now it's an absolute joy to drive, just like it was when I first got it. I'm rapped that I took a chance and have left any warranty issues for when I really need it.

I could have been in and out of the nissan dealership many times before getting satisfaction, which wouldn't have cost me money but it sure would have been a pain in the but.

Cheers,

Muzz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:16

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:16
Changing the air flow meter yourself, may be a warranty issue in itself.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 96180

Reply By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:27

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:27
It well may be. But my hunch is they will never know.
AnswerID: 96182

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:44

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 11:44
I thought someone on the patrol list had figured out how to clean them air flow meters?
AnswerID: 96230

Follow Up By: muzzimbidgie - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 14:09

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 14:09
When we had trouble with the air filtration system up in the Kimberley, Nissan in Port Hedland said they cleaned the air flow meter, but I have been told this has never really worked properly, and can even shorten the life expetancy of the item. This was absolutely correct, to the point where my bus was getting slower by the week !!!!!!

FollowupID: 355027

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:30

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 23:30
if its already fubar, cleanin it isnt going to hurt ;)~

have a search of the nissan archive forum
FollowupID: 355111

Reply By: Member - Michael- Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:39

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:39
Hey Muzz it was probably my post that you read regarding loss of power, I was cleaning the wire with contact cleaner on a cotton bud and it sort of worked in that doing this didn't fully cure the power loss. I replaced the air flow monitor myself, its only a matter of unplugging cable and removing two screws, a five minute job and power loss has vanished .

When I bought mine I had a good chat with the spare parts guy who instigated it, by asking if I was using one of 'wet' aircleaners or the normal 'dry' cartridge. He was saying that because the 3L realy gulp in the air and any moisture in the aircleaner cartridge will sucked in, and it doesn't take much to coat the wire in the sensor, apparantly the unit is selfcleaning on start-up the wire heats upto about 600deg. and any condensation is evaporated off, unfortunately the oil does not and eventually corrodes this wire, also this oil mist, that will contain minute dirt particles, will be drawn ito the engine and cause major problems down the 'track'.
Cheers
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 96425

Sponsored Links