Considering buying a Coleman Northstar 8 Tent

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2004 Views:12677 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Have just finished reading through the Archived Q&A regarding canvas and dome tents. We are a family of five who are considering buying a Northstar 8 dome tent mainly due to weight, size and cost. We are intending using it for camping in one spot for several days. Colin (November 2001), had posted a reply to several of his questions regarding this subject, by saying he had purchased a Northstar 8 - would love to know how it is going or if any one else has any opinions about these tents or a similar dome tent around the $900 mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred - Thursday, Sep 19, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 19, 2002 at 00:00
Jen if you're planning on spending around $900 do investigate getting a canvas centre pole style tent. At that price you can get about 13 X9. They are MUCH easier and quicker to put up than domes and will stand up to bad weather - srong winds and rain, much better. After all it's only the bad weather you really need a good tent for - you could camp under sheets in good weather - and the problem is you never know when it's going to be needed. The style I'm referring to is based on the 9X9 centre pole and has an additional ridge pole for an extended section making the floor section about 13X9. Have a look at Southern Cross and Freedom's sites. Good luck!
AnswerID: 6784

Follow Up By: Jen - Thursday, Sep 19, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 19, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for that Fred. Still pondering and visiting websites. Have borrowed a canvas tent to use next week - so that will help decide. Only problem I can see with the canvas is the size and weight.
FollowupID: 3045

Reply By: Savvas - Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
We purchased a Sportiva Odyssey 6. It's a twin geodesic dome, with each of the 2 rooms being 3mx3m. We are a family of 4 and we use one room as a bedroom (with 4 twin size air mattresses, 3 across and 1 along), and the other as a sitting/eating/sunroom. It is fine for stays of a few days or upto a couple of weeks. Set up time is about 20-30minutes and is a two person operation (someone has to lift the dome inner, while the poles are inserted into their pins). We have experienced heavy NSW north coast summer rains a number of times with it and nothing ever got in. The fly dries quickly for packing. We have also experienced high wind with it, things looked a bit scary for a while but it didn't take off on us. There are 14 points on the fly for guy ropes and 14 peg down points around the base of the tent, though I suggest you get longer pegs and proper guy ropes rather than use the stuff supplied with the tent. Heaps of windows, doors and vents to let the air in when you want, a tubbed PE floor for both rooms, all fits into one bag and weighs about 24kg. Keep in mind that is not as tough as a canvas tent. If you accept that, then it's good value. I've seen some places selling it for $880 but I got mine for $600 12 months ago as part of a deal with a stack of other gear from Budget Camping at Minchinbury. To have a look at the tent, go to www.oztrail.com.au.Check out places like www.discountcamping.com.au or www.budgetcamping.com.au for the best deal.
AnswerID: 6832

Follow Up By: Jen - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Savvas, will have a look at those websites.
FollowupID: 3130

Reply By: nickycohen - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
I have just returned from the Simpson. Five families. Three had a Northstar 8. Bloody good tents! Much easier to erect and dismantle than it looks. We pitched and broke camp every day for ten days and once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze. I was very impressed.

We were travelling with a Tanami Tourer. Also great, and very strong. But not really big enough for a family of 5.

Happy camping!
AnswerID: 6903

Thanks for that Nicky, have just returned the old canvas tent we borrowed - anything has got to be lighter and easier to put up than that! I'm sure there are much better canvas tents around though! We are still interested in the Northstar 8 - and it is good to get feedback like yours. I can see that 5 or us would be pretty squashed in a tent such as the Tanami Tourer, especially on a rainy day! How did the Northstar 8 stand up to rain and wind?
FollowupID: 3131

Reply By: nickycohen - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Well, there was no rain in the Simpson, understandably. It was utterly and totally dry! However, it did get windy and the Northstars stood up really well. We went camping near Lithgow with the Northstars in June and it rained the whole wekend. There was no water ingress at all in the Northstars, albeit the Tanami got quite seriously flooded.

AnswerID: 6953

Thanks for your reply Nicky - I think the decision is getting easier!
FollowupID: 3143

Sponsored Links