The future for powering our fridges

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 17:21
ThreadID: 20043 Views:2170 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The plethora of new product is mind boggling me. Origin energy sliver solar panels have commenced production in SA, ZBB energy will soon ramp up manufacture of non-flow zinc bromine batteries which in a test in a golf cart powered it for 80km, twice the distance of the original lead acid batteries the same size (www.zbb.com and note the Australian connection). In the current edition of ReNew magazine a portable fuel cell is actually on sale in Australia (www.sunwatt.com.au) - it weighs 6kg, generates a continuous 100W of 230V AC power or 13.8V DC power - and it can be powered from 3 different fuel choices - including LPG and with a sound output of 35dbA at one metre (compare to EU10i at 52dbA, and you thought that was quiet !!!), - naturally very expensive, as all new technology is, but you know how new technology quickly comes down in price as it becomes old technology- who's rich, who wants to try these products for us ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 18:07

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 18:07
The only thing I can comment on is the solar cells.

I am led to believe that it is NOT a new technology, just a new means of manufacturing.

I recall seeing something about their efficiency, which was just..... okay, however, coupled with the fact of how many more you can buy for the same dollars as conventional cells, you are way in front.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 96290

Follow Up By: David Au - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 21:58

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 21:58
Those solar cells are poor quality made in Russia. Their claims are fraudulent and cannot be backed up by facts. If you go into the detail and research their claims and the excessive cost of mounting and cleaning them are not achievable.
FollowupID: 355096

Follow Up By: Gerry - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:38

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:38
Sorry David, I have to strongly disagree with you. I have been through their factory and personally know the factory manager. It is a brand new manufacturing facility and they are made here in S.A. it is a new manufacturing technique which allows much more efficient use of the silicon component by using thin slivers (<70 microns thick) and utilising both sides through a reflective backing. Mounting and cleaning is no different to any other solar cell. I have no connection with Origin but I do believe they are a good product. If they aren't already available, they should be very close to coming on the market.
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 355139

Follow Up By: David Au - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:33

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:33
Sorry Gerry, you have it very wrong. The panels on that page are made by Viva Solar a Canadian company and the panels are manufactured in Russia.
I am not commenting on the Silver solar panels. I would imagine they will be of excellent quality as most Australian made products are these days. I have read all the information about the Silver panels and the Adelaide facility. I look forward to seeing them on the market.
FollowupID: 355144

Follow Up By: Flash - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 19:28

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 19:28
David is correct there IMHO.
A friend bought one of these dual sided panels and compared to my 120w Kyocera....
1. It was about $80 dearer and
2. It produces usually a bit less power- or sometimes the same. We have tested them and can NOT better the Kyocera panel in any lighting conditions we have seen thus far.
FollowupID: 355388

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 19:27

Wednesday, Feb 02, 2005 at 19:27
Porl,

Very interesting.

As you said, very expensive. $3600 for the 100 watt unit is very bloody expensive at this stage. I note that you did say in the future.

Still, I remember my first VCR cost me nearly two weeks wages and can be bought now for a few hour's wages.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 96302

Sponsored Links