Polyair Vs Coil-Rite

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2005 Views:6696 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have seen lots of discussion on Polyair suspension aids but nothing on Coil-Rite - which appears to be very similar if not identical. Any feedback on Coil-Rite would be appreciated. Intended application is to restore ride height in my 2002 GU Patrol with an off-road caravan in tow.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2002 at 00:00
Kevin, why do you want to use either of these products? Several people in my club over the years have tried these things and had considerable problems. They all suffered air leaks mainly (but not always) due to flying rocks puncturing the bag. Have you considered a set of Progressive Wound springs from King Springs? Whatever you decide, you're the one who has to be satisfied. Safe driving.
AnswerID: 6753

Reply By: dave - Sunday, Sep 22, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 22, 2002 at 00:00
I have it on good authority thatthe "bellows" system from TJM is good gear. They have it in their 78 series and it has stood up to some rough treatment unscathed. I don't know if it is available for a GU but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I've considered losing some leaves and using the bellows for a more comfortable unladen ride. That said if I wanted a smooth ride I wouldn't own a troopy.
AnswerID: 6823

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Kevin,

Have had Polyair's in my GQ patrol for over 8 years now and never had any problems. I have traveled offroad extensively though as per most people travel is mainly on black top. They will be one of the first things I put in the new 4x4. Ideal for changing the ride quality with change in load.

Regards

Ray
AnswerID: 6837

Reply By: red - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
Have had poly air bags in my gq since 98 best thing i ever did.You get the right ride height at whatever weight you have in vehicle.
AnswerID: 6935

Reply By: Member - Kevin - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks to all who replied to this post.

After consulting with my local caravan service centre I decided to install a Hayman Reece 250 KG weight distribution system, compatable with the treg coupling on the van. This not only restored ride height but distributed the weight from the back of the car to the front. Van and car are dead level on the road and towing is noticably better - the rig feels like one unit now. Clearance at the base of the tow hitch receiver is also better than it was without the van attached.

I will have to uncouple the weight bars when in off-road situations such as steep entry/exit to creek crossings but I see that as a small price to pay.

If I want to I can still install polyairs or heavier springs/shocks and adjust the weight distribution system accordingly.

Cost of the system was $585 installed Vs about $400 for the polyairs and/or coil-rites.

Cheers

Kevin

AnswerID: 6951

Sponsored Links