GQ diesel Patrol

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 13:46
ThreadID: 20066 Views:2263 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought a 95 diesel Patrol ute and over the last week or so i have noticed that it is running rough at idle. At first i thought that I may have just bumped the idle adjuster next to the stering wheel but it seems as though no matter how much you adjust it, it just makes no difference and the engine starts to run rough again. When I put my foot down and reved it it seemed to go away. Then just last night on the way home from work it just lost power while driving and then stalled. After waiting for about 10mins the engine would start and run ok again. It did this 3 more times on the way home. So, this morning I pulled the pipe off the filter unit and gave it a pump. The fuel seemed to be clean so I put the pipe back on the checked that there was no water in the filter. After this i tried to bleed the air out using the bleed screw on the injector pump while pumping the hand pump. But the problem with this is I have been pumping all morning and there seems to be an endless supply of air coming out of the bleed point on the injector pump. I'm thinking there may be a small split in one of the fuel supply lines but i had a bit of a look under there and i can't see any fuel dripping. I'm just writing to see if anyone eles has had the same problem or has any other ideas better than pushing it off a cliff and getting the insurance. Any help would be tops thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:31

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:31
Not real sure myself, but maybe you could try taking the fuel hose off at the pump end, where it comes from the filter and then put your thumb over the end of the hose (or screw a bolt into it tightly) and use the hand primer. If there is a split in the hose the fuel should squirt/dribble from it and I'd imagine that a tiny hole would allow it to suck air instead of fuel.
Also check the air intake side of things....is the air filter phoobar?
I wouldn't think it is time to start looking for a cliff just yet......haha
Good luck
AnswerID: 96452

Follow Up By: Splitpin - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:44

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:44
Hey thanks for that it sounds like a pritty good idea. I'll give it a go tomorrow as I've got to go to work.
I won't push it over a cliff yet cos knowing my luck it would probably land without a scratch on it!!
FollowupID: 355171

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:48

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:48
No worries,

Just remembered too that I read somewhere that there is a small gauze filter on top of the pump under a small bolt. I haven't checked it out on my GU yet, but that might also be blocked....some of the more spanner-minded blokes would have a better idea than me.

I can also highly recommend spending the $90- odd on a CAV filter set-up. They have a glass bowl under the filter and you can get a good idea quickly as to the state of your fuel (dirt/water etc). The other good reason to change is that the filters cost about $8- each instead of $40- to $50- for genuine jobbies.
FollowupID: 355172

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:41

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:41
air /fuel that is all it needs. when you say endless supply of air do you mean it is fuel mixed with air is coming out or just air? are you certain the lift pump is working? (am not familiur with Nissan but they all work basically the same) follow your fuel line back most/all of it should be exposed check and tighten every union. last but not least change your fuel filter. the last time I had a diesal mucking around the primary filter was totally blocked (of course clean fuel comes out- thatis what the filter does)
AnswerID: 96454

Follow Up By: Splitpin - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:01

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:01
Yeah the air coming out of the bleed point on injector pump is in the form of bubbles mixed with fuel. I think the hand pump works ok because when i took the fuel line off it seemed to pump it out alright. The fuel filter was changed about two months ago at least thats what the guy i bought it off says anyway. The guy i bought it off is a diesel fitter and I rang him up this morning. He said it sounds like its slowly been sucking air from somewhere in the fuel line and thats the problem. He said that he would come and a look at it for me but i told him i'll try fixing it myself first and if i get no where then i'll call him. I'm just glad i haven't sold my old car yet so i can still get to work and get spare parts for the patrol.
FollowupID: 355177

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:07

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:07
yep id go along with that hole/split in fuel line somewhere. as I said any unions/hoseclamps are a good place to start
FollowupID: 355179

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:50

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 14:50
Next to steering is hand throttle,not an idle adjuster ;)

Since you are getting air in the system, you may have a split line, the way to find out is to jump under the car and trace the line, rubbing it with some tissue paper until you find the wetspot (waiting for the humour crowed - if they are allowed). Then you will find which place of line you have to fix. It maynot be cheap.

it may also be an air leak in the fiter mount setup too, in which case Maybe take the opportunity to fit a CAV Filter system while your ripping it all apart.

Me is thinking is this the reason the previous owner sold the car?

AnswerID: 96455

Follow Up By: Splitpin - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:11

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:11
Thanks for the info. Where abouts can i get one of these cav filters? and does it just screw straight into the original hand pump?
I don't think its the reason he got rid of it cos its been running great the last 5 or so weeks before this started to happen.
FollowupID: 355181

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:55

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 15:55
www.dencodiesel.com

it replaces the pump system that is on your truck now...

FollowupID: 355185

Sponsored Links