oiled air filters diesel ackaroo owners

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 22:00
ThreadID: 20084 Views:1661 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody out there tried these and are there any problems they have encounted with the electronics etc on the air intake.
I am looking at the K&N filter ,and the vehicle has a snorkle .
Any feed back appreciated.

Darryl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor - Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 23:34

Thursday, Feb 03, 2005 at 23:34
We have a K&N filter fitted to a 3.2 Petrol Jackaroo which also has a safari snorkle fitted.
It cost about $120 including cleaning kit from Morpower at Modbury in Adelaide about 3 years ago.
It is far easier to clean than the oil drenched foam filters you can buy.
No bulldust, water or oil has ever passed through it, so the electronics are safe.

Trev
AnswerID: 96560

Reply By: D-Jack - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:55

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:55
My mechanic told me to stay right away from oil filters or anything modified because they have caused problems before in his experience with high tec turbo diesels with air flow sensors.
Me, I'm, staying with originals.
AnswerID: 96569

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 07:14

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 07:14
Daryl,
Agree with D-Jack, these new hi-tech diesels don't take too kindly to oil soaked air filters as it is known to cause havoc with air flow sensors as in the 3 ltr patrols.
Also was an artilcle in a 4wd magazine about paper filter being better than most oil soaked filters ( don't know about K & N filters though). I will only use the genuine Nissan air filter in my patrol.

Regards
Rob
AnswerID: 96576

Follow Up By: Member - Darryl - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 20:49

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 20:49
3.0turobob,
Been looking into the k&n and they use a special cloth with wire gauze around it.They clean by brushing off with soft brush ,spray on a cleaner and rinse off under tap or bucket water.Re oil with a pump pack ,and they told me at repco that not much is needed .Sound like they are pratical and no turps etc to clean like unifilters etc.
Like anything experiance from fellow forum members is invaluable,as i am aware of the problems caused by oil on the tps etc.The mass airflow senser iam not sure where it is until consult my service cd ?
Cheers

darryl
FollowupID: 355399

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:52

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:52
Do a search - there's a lot of info buried in there from we Jack owners - I use the oily type.
AnswerID: 96599

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 21:56

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 21:56
I use a Finer filter in my TD Jack.
Used it for about 20,000 k's
No problems yet but have seen the posts by others describing thier problems with the throttle position sensor.
Don't think the jack uses air flow sensing on the diesel but Manifold Absolute Pressure sensing. I have been told this is a better sensing system for forced induction motors.
Could not get a K&N in Australia Where are you sourcing yours from?

Regards Craig
AnswerID: 96725

Follow Up By: Member - Darryl - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 23:34

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 23:34
Craig,
Repco are distritutors for them ,i went and seen them this afternoon but eastern seaboard were already closed to find out availability etc.Going back monday to find out.
I do like there system of filtering and probably not quite as messy to clean.Guarantee them for 1million km and got to be happy with that.
Ill keep you posted.

darryl
FollowupID: 355416

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:50

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:50
I use a Unifilter on the 3.0TD Surf (which has all the electronically controlled whiz bangery of the TD Jack) and haven't had a problem. I used them for years on my old Mechanical Turbo Diesel and never had a drama, always held off on the Surf because of the same storeys. I bit the bullet a couple of months ago and ordered one, havn't looked back. I love them , reckon they are so much better in so many ways to the paper filters. Personally I think that there may be some truth to the storeys however I belive it would be due to people over oiling their filters to such a degree that it does clog sensors and such up. Personally I find if you follow the instructions with the amount of oil, even though it looks like it's not enough you'll find that once you've done a couple of dusty trips you'll see that it's perfect.
AnswerID: 96781

Sponsored Links