How To - 12v Accessory point in rear

Submitted: Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 11:55
ThreadID: 20105 Views:2141 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am fitting a 12v accessory point in the back of the Rodeo. Looking for some advice.

1. Do you run both a +ve and -ve wire from battery or simply use earth from the tray?

2. Do you all also wire in a h/d swith so you can turn the point on/off or simply unplug to turn off?

I've got a nice surface mount capable plug from a marine store and just after tips of what other people do for wiring.

Thanks very much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: beatit - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:03

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:03
G'day Smocky,

I have a similar set up in the rear of the Patrol (a marine 2 pole screw in job) runs off the battery (not accesories) and I also use Anderson plug fitting. I like the latter because of the length from the power source I can use serious cable and that way I don't get voltage drops which will be important if you intend running the new fridge from this point.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 96633

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:09

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:09
G'day mate,

It's okay to earth to chassis (i wouldn't "trust" the tray itself though, as a good earth point).

As for switch, it all depends on what you want to plug in to it.....I'm guessing it's gunna be your 3-way fridge which you've finally got sorted. If so, you are gunna need VERY HEAVY cabling and I wouldn't worry about a switch. Also, the plug you use should be a Hella-type unit, not a scungie, cigi-plug type, which will come loose as soon as you hit your first bit of corrogation and then the beer will be warm.

Cya bloke
AnswerID: 96635

Reply By: Member - Alan S (NSW) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:11

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:11
I ran +ve and -ve, (I know you can use the chassis as an earth but I am much happiers doing it this way, the pros and cons have equal merit), heavy duty cable to reduce voltage loss( I forget what guage), I now have fuses at both ends to protect the equipment and also to protect the car against fire if the cable ever shorts, I didn't see a need for a switch with the fuses installed, hope this helps.
AnswerID: 96636

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 13:38

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 13:38
I'd recommend a dash switch running a relay- The only reason is for convenience. If you are in there doing the wiring you may as well set yourelf up for further down the track. see if you can get an LED on the dash switch too so you can be alerted another way if there isnt power flowing to your fridge. It also helps in fault diagnosis if you start grabbing warm beers out one day.

My fridge on off switch is a pig to get at: have to open both swing-away wheels, open back door, then can hit fridge power button- to get to the plug is much harder. The switch is easy- press it and the thing turn off. Also helps if you are running other appliances off the same 12V socket that dont have an inline switch.
AnswerID: 96647

Reply By: Jezza - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:20

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:20
Hi Smocky,

Take a look at this; link text - it has some excellent advice, particularly on the wiring side.

Cheers,
Jeremy
AnswerID: 96652

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:48

Friday, Feb 04, 2005 at 14:48
Thanks Jezza,

that's excellent.
FollowupID: 355341

Sponsored Links