Finch Fridge 12v Fans

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 01:32
ThreadID: 20127 Views:2434 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had the car re-wired with 8mm cable and new plugs for the fridge. I also installed two 80mm computer fans one just under the fins and the other blowing sideways into the condenser coils. What a difference. The fridge is now frosting over inside on the evaporator I think its called after just 1 and half hours starting from ambient temperature. This is also with the car not running as Im seeing how long it takes to drain the battery to point where the car wont start. I know it wont be long. It is so good Im now going to work a system maybe with solar panels to run a fan when on gas. Why doesnt electolux install them as a standard. Ill tell you because no one would buy another fridge again and wouldnt surprise me if this makes them last many more years than they already do as they are not being cooked as much . The fans dissipate the heat fantastically ......cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 07:48

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 07:48
G'day pixiemops
I've two fans on my bushman fridge for a couple of years now and they certainly do help. The thing that I noticed was that when we were driving with the 4b fully packed the air wasn't circulating down the back corner where the fridge is, also when we went on a day cruise or tour and left the car locked up the interior temp could climb consideratly.
I conected my fans through a thermo couple and set it to power on at 28deg and off at 25deg, this way the batteries are not being drained.
Dark tinting on the rear windows also helps.
There's no need for extra fans once the sun goes down.
Safe travells
Jim-Bob
AnswerID: 96746

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:35

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:35
Yeah Jim-Bob, your right about the ambiant temp. With my cooler I put a 6 amp peltier in replacing the 3 amp and two x 90mm 50CFM fans. It works a treat, albiet chewing battery juice like all buggery (I don't care, got an 85amp/hr DS Aux and my beer is now always very cold) :-)
But it sure generates some heat now being that the peltiers are very inefficiant and about 50% of the heat comming out of the fridge is just from the peltier itself, not from heat transfer.
Having the surf is good thought because the Waeco Cooler is always right at the back and I can wind the rear tailgate window down just a crack to let the air circulate a little in the back of the car. Make a huge difference to the escalating ambiants.
FollowupID: 355447

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 08:31

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 08:31
I've installed a 90mm dia fan into my Repco fridge running whenever it's plugged into the 12V. I like the idea of a solar cell to run the fan when camped & on gas. I should imagine the solar cell would'nt need to be very big? Would the low life's steal the solar cell??,
Sparky
AnswerID: 96749

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:24

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:24
Hey Troopy, any chance of a pic of where the fan is? I need to do the same thing to mine now to make it run better on 12v.

Thanks heaps,

Jason.
FollowupID: 355462

Reply By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 08:34

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 08:34
Thats good news. One word of caution though, draining your battery to that state of charge may well shorten its life.
AnswerID: 96751

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:38

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:38
Yeah David O is right, a better thing to do would be to put a low voltage cut out switch on the fridge set to say 11.5 or 11v. That way you won't reck your battery testing it and you'll be able to sleep at night without worrying about getting the jumper leads out.

Or of course even better is to pop a second battery in with a smart solinoid (red arc or arid or similar).

Flattening your battery is only going to shorten it's life and do permanant damage to it.
FollowupID: 355448

Reply By: time waster - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 09:06

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 09:06
HI YOU CAN BUY THE SOLAR PWERED FAN KITS FROM YOUR LOCAL CARAVAN SUPPLIER.
AnswerID: 96754

Sponsored Links