camper trailer

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:22
ThreadID: 20134 Views:2506 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Looking at Trackabout Safari camper trailer,any owners of these trailers
would like your comments please, thanks in advance.
Friar
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jenkie - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:46

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 11:46
Friar
We purchased a new one in September 2004. We got it galvanished with a boat rack as well as a outboard motor holder on front. It has been to Fraser for 1 week in September. Yes picked up on Tuesday put our own design aluminium storage box on front on Friday and left for Fraser on Sunday . Has also been to Moreton for a week in January in really windy conditions where the tent and awning didnt move. We had the drifter kitchen fitted which is a treat to use lots of space for the kitchen with water in kitchen as well. The only problem we have found with this set up is when u use the water pump on the side of the trailer small amounts of water back feed through the kitchen ok when camped but may be a problem when using outside tap when the kitchen is packed in travelling mode. One day will look at it for a way to prevent this happening. Weadded to annex a zip on kitchen end side and another side that can attach to this side incase of bad weather.Needed for wind and rain protection on Moreton. One day will get a window for the Side Kitchen end as it will be up most of the time when staying put for a number of days.
With the four jerrycan holders in front of the axle, the boat motor we are a little concerned about the weight on the tow ball but have yet to try it all out and get it weighed. Will have to soon as preparing to go to WA for 3months in APril.
We also have to get the Patrol raised which is a normal thing as it is hard to hitch the car to the trailer. The jockey wheel is fitted to the trailer but our car at the moment is too low for it to raise up and down enough to put the pin in for the offroad hitch. We have used a bottle jackto jack up and down to car until we put in a lift kit.
Hope this has helped. If you want any more info just message back.
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 96780

Reply By: Member - Robert R (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:17

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:17
Friar,

I will be picking my Trackabout Safari up next week. I am not getting the tool box on the front, instead am having a generator box and 12volt system added. Also the kitchen on the tailgate. The spare is going on the back as well. Believe me I looked at so many brands of camper trailers before deciding on the Trackabout that I have no doubt that it is a very good unit, the best of its type.

Regards,

Robert
AnswerID: 96795

Follow Up By: jenkie - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:57

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:57
Friar/ Robert
Didnt mention on earlier report that the spare is on the tailgate as well at the kitchen. We also got the same rims as our car so that tyres can be interchanged between the trailer and the car. A couple of things we have learnt along the way is if using the kitchen annex wall make sure you put a wheel cover on the spare and remove it before setting up because if you dont u end up with a nice round black circle on the canvas. Remembered to do on Fraser forgot on Moreton and learnt this lesson.
Before you collect the trailer take your gas bottle with you as you might need to get a longer tightening bolt. we did.
Also ask for their suggestion for holding jerry cans in. They suggested to us to use foam. We ended up getting a boat seat from clark rubber and cutting up and glueing on the sides. The foam did not overcompress and held the jerrycans in tight. We had no problems on rough dirt gravel road or on the beach.
Enjoy your trailer Robert
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 355463

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:51

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:51
Jenkie,

You must think like me. I had intentions of covering the spare wheel for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for the other suggestions. Would you mind if I take these along when I pick up the camper, I am sure John (the owner) would be very interested. He is proud of the product he manufactures and sells. I take it you are happy with your camper.

Regards,

Robert

P.S. This is for you as well Frier
FollowupID: 355479

Follow Up By: jenkie - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:45

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:45
Robert
Not problems taking the suggestions to John. One day I will get back down there to get the window in the kitchen wall canvas end. We live very close but still havent got there even to show him our storage box which we get made out of aliminium checkerplate.
He is very helpful and even gave us the longer bolts for the gas bottles. His suggestion for the jrerry can holder works well you just have to get the thickness right. We had no trouble carrying water and diesel up to Fraser. We put 2 different gas bottles on the trailer one that takes a regulator and one that takes no regulator.We purchased and adapter that we can put on if we need to swap the bottles around so we have the best of both worlds.
We also leave the gas bottle on the trailer at all times as we are lucky enough to have a longer gas hose to the stove and leave the hose attached to the stove and just have to put on bottle when we need to use the stove.
One other thing we do with the door of the tent is to tie a caraban hook to the non loop end of the ties that hold the door when rolled up so that we dont have to tie it up evertime just clip into the looped end.
Am happpy with the trailer but have to get the boat and boat motor on it soon as we havent tried doing that yet and we only have about 9 weeks till we head to WA for12weeks. We are still a little concerned about downward weigth on the towball.
Send me an email if you would like more info. I have pictures of the box and trailer I can email. jenkieatoptusnetdotcomdotau
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 355508

Reply By: sandyngraham - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:46

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:46
We have just placed our order with John at Trackabout. This is our second camper trailer and we spent months looking, criticising, appreciating ideas from other manufacturers, etc. One thing we have learnt it is just near impossible to find the "perfect" camper but I believe for our purpose Trackabout come very, very close. The service from the start was fantastic, not only from John but from all we dealth with. We are so looking forward to taking delivery of our Safari.
AnswerID: 96845

Reply By: Rod - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:13

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:13
I have owned a Trackabout safari since 2001. Took it round Oz for 3.5 months including the cape, GRR, Bungle Bungles etc. Overall a great unit.

Watch the suspension components. My leaf springs lost their set, bottomed out on the chassis rail and put a dent in it. Had to get the leaf springs reset and insert another leaf.

Carry spare shackle plates and bolts for the leaf springs. Wore 3 sets out, mostly on cape york corrugated roads.

Watch the hubs for fatigue cracks appearing as a 3" circle in the hub. Look inside and outside the hub.

I believe Trackabout have since upgraded their suspension components as a lesson learnt but it pays to check these things regularly if used off road. They repaired some of the damage to my trailer at no charge and I have no gripes with them at all. Last time I looked at their trailers, the leaf springs did seem beefier.

On the plus side, the canvas work was excellent. Ventilation is good. Love the long drawbar and general trailer construction.
AnswerID: 97069

Sponsored Links