deactivating Frontera airbags

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 13:14
ThreadID: 20140 Views:1674 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does any one know if it is possible to deactivate your airbags to prevent a minor hit on the front (dozing some dirt)?
This thought crosses my mind occasionally, as it would ruin your day if the airbags were set off by a minor bump.

I have heard that some makes hae a bypass switch to prevent this happening.

Are these able to be set up for all makes and models?

Before I get yelled down, it would only be for off road situations where there is chance of setting the airbags off.

Thanks in advance

rengatt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 13:19

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 13:19
With the thousands of 4wds out there doing some pretty seriousbleep, they dont have any issues, and some of them are doin more serious crap than you would in a Frontera. I dont think theres an reason to bother.

and its illegal.
AnswerID: 96792

Follow Up By: Member - rengatt (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 13:35

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 13:35
Thanks Truckster, you don't know if you don't ask. The reason for the question is if the airbags were to go off is the car still driveable?

FollowupID: 355459

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 17:11

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 17:11
In our Alfa there is a key to turn the passenger air bags of in case you have a baby in the front seat?????? Alfa's are weird..
FollowupID: 355572

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:09

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 14:09
Hi rengatt,

Airbags will only deploy IF the vehicle speed is above 28 km/hr (from memory, but its an odd number!) AND a certain G force is exceeded on impact. If you hit something hard enough to set an airbag off then your vehicle is more than likely undrivable.

While I have never hit a roo in an airbag vehicle, I have never heard of a roo making an airbag go off and I know people with airbags that have hit roo's (anyone know any different here ???). So that gives an idea of how hard you have to hit to make an airbag activate.

As truckster says, its illegal to deactivate them and I for one would never consider doing it. But as for your question about is the vehicle driveable (assuming mechanically OK otherwise), it depends on the model. Some ECU's will not start the engine until the airbag is replaced (dealer fix) while others have no connection between engine and airbag activation.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 96793

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:43

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:43
There is a great misconception with air bags . it takes more than one thing to set them off . Now every vehicle is diffrent . some have seat sencors , others have chassis sensors . For instance , in a vr Commodore . You body weight must change in the seat before it deploys . A simple nudge in the front wont do it . It would have to sence a shift between chassis and body before it deployed a air bag from bottoming out on a track . Dont touch it and you will be fine
AnswerID: 96812

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:25

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:25
Don't know about the Frontera, but I recall with the Disco I had you had to be moving at a min of 20kph into a totally immovable object before they would deploy. In that instance I very much doubt the vehicle would be driveable.

I'm fairly sure it's somewhat similar across the board. In the USA they are apparently set to deploy at lower speeds due to seat belts not being compulsory in some states.

I really don't think you have an issue to concern yourself about.

Cheers
AnswerID: 96823

Reply By: tessa_51 - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:52

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:52
Rengatt
As I understand them, foreward facing airbags are activated by sudden deceleration. And it has to be extremely sudden. The application of brakes alone will not generate sufficient deceleration to activate them. Hence the kangaroo report above. Having once hit a cow i would imagine that type of impact would generate the appropriate deceleration.
Can't comment on what activates side airbags, but probably not a concern in a Fontera.

Tessa
AnswerID: 96900

Reply By: JR - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:27

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:27
Guys,
Airbags do go off, dont kid youselves, hit a big roo (or cow) under brakes and they will go off in many vehicles. Although they are better than they used to be.
If the ECU locks you out you could be in trouble, vehicles can often be able to be driven after such a collision and if somenes hurt or sick (maybe why you were going too fast anyway!!)

Problem is legally if you have Airbags installed they MUST be active and working all the time. Same with ABS
JR
AnswerID: 96914

Reply By: Member - rengatt (VIC) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:24

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:24
Thanks for all the feedback,

AnswerID: 97042

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:13

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:13
Yeah you can disconnect them but it takes time, and you will get an airbag fault light and code when running. BUT WHY ? - you wont accidently set them off unless you punch a tree head on, and then you will probably appreciate them.

its never been a real prob with 4x4s so dont worry about it, cheers.
AnswerID: 97064

Sponsored Links