hand held GPS

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:28
ThreadID: 20144 Views:2092 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have (had) a Lowrance Ifinder hand held GPS.
It's been rolling around in the consul for 6 months and used hand held when I need it.
I decided to mount in on a pod bracket off the dash - all flash like.
To cut a long story short - I let the smoke out and it doesn't work any more.

(I forgot there was a voltage reduction circuit in the cig plug socket and cut it off, wired it direct to 12 volts - and I'm an electronics tech - Mr XXXX has a lot to answer to - give me a break, it was a hot day).

I need another - should I buy the same again or is there something better?
What are most outback drivers using these days?
Sorry if this question has been asked to death - I can't find anything that helps me make the decision.

Thanks.

Dave >
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davo - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:45

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 16:45
Dave,
I have a look at http://www.gpsoz.com.au/
also - it might help if you can make your mind up if you want BOTH land mapping, plus marine mapping capability out of your hand-held.
The new Magellan Meridian's are pretty good. I've got a Magellan Meridian Gold (it's actually for sale for $400 pph if you'd like it)
My pic at the moment would be the new Garmin GPS276C.
It's a great compromise between size and functionality; but hey - you're buying it, so you're best to have a look at one in the flesh IMHO.
I noticed that your username indicates some fishing interest; in unknown waters these little beauties are great; this is where the handhelds really come into their own. Magellan's Meridian Gold/Marine units are great for this application. I've seen them with the bluechart software loaded into them - very impressive. Just note that the software for maping doesn't come cheaply.

I hope I haven't confused you too much with the above.
I recommend doing some internet research, and maybe that will help in your decision.

Cheers,
Davo
AnswerID: 96813

Reply By: MRTEE ( VIC ) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:00

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:00
Hi Dave I have a I/ finder and I thick thay are great if I ever changed it , it would be for a Garman GPS 72 or a GPS 76 same thing no better just more populor for on land use, I brought the lawrance because I manly use mine at sea and Lawrance have a very good reputation also works great in my discovery hope this helps regards tony
AnswerID: 96815

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:00

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 17:00
Dave, if you are anywhere near Bayswater...or any Anaconda store go in there for a look, they have a large range of GPS stuck on a large board.
The good thing about it is they carry a few brands, and they are working units on display so you can see what you do and don't like. Plus the prices are pretty good, knocked 13% off when I asked, or they will beat any price you find by 10%...reckon this mob will put Rays out of business....Don'e work for them, just impressed with their range, and the sales people I talked to about GPS actualy had a clue!...I don't want to push you towards a certain brand or model, go have a look....Garmin are good tho lol

http://anaconda.com.au/ make sure you do the .au bit on that address tho
AnswerID: 96816

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:57

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:57
check out this site for gps. I deaded a fluro/torch same way exact same torch one had voltage reducer internal and one had cig plug reducer. Couldnt be bothered unpacking the cord from new one so used cord from old dead one = 2 dead ones
AnswerID: 96859

Reply By: Fishin' Dave - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 18:04

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 18:04
Thanks a lot all.

I have full marine GPS in my boat - just use the handheld to pinpoint gutters on the beach so I can come back and fish them at night.
Also for when I get lost in the bush - which is often.
Appreciate your suggestions - I'll dig a bit deeper.

Dave >
AnswerID: 97127

Sponsored Links