COOKING supply's when tenting it

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:22
ThreadID: 20149 Views:4070 Replies:12 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
When you go camping with your tent what kind of stove's are you using to cook the tea on or do you just use the flat plate over the fire i'd like to hear from any one just to try and get an idea on what to buy just to cook the meal's on thanks cheer's GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member-Diamond(vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:27

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:27
gday peter.
we use a coleman 2 burner duel fuel stove and one of them elcheepo butane stoves.
AnswerID: 96831

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:54

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:54
I'm with Diamond on this one. The dual fuel stoves and lights are simply great - if you maintain them properly (which really doesn't take much). They're very controllable and aren't difficult to get going. A few pumps and you're away.

One great thing about the dual fuels is that you have dozens of litres of stove fuel in your car's tank - where it's safest (presuming you run a petrol engine of course). Much safer and less bulky than carrying gas bottles around.
FollowupID: 355482

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:58

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:58
Ill third that,we use a coleman 2 burner stove and single mantle light.
FollowupID: 355494

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:31

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:31
2 burner gas stove, unless I can have a camp fire - then I use my barbecue setup (from Hillbilly) and/or a camp oven.
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 96833

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:50

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 18:50
I have a 3 burner coleman, a single attachment that goes on the bottle top for just the billy if needed, and also one of the new aerosol can burners, which is great! It depends on what sorta trip. Day, weekend or longer as to which I take..

If your cooking, it depends on what your cooking. I find 3 burner stoves good, take up no more room than 2 burners, which I find cramped. 3 burners you can cook the pasta on one the billy on another, and the veggies on the other..
AnswerID: 96838

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:28

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:28
g'day peter in sa,

well, it depends on who/how many you are cooking for eh? and do I assume you are in a 4by so can carry extra or are you camping "on the foot?"

I like a fire if possible. Gives so much more than just a heat source for cooking.

just me? walking? small iso-propane or small fire with lightweight MSR pots.

just me? 4by? single burner on 2kg bottle or small fire with cast iron skillet or lightweight MSR pots.

me and the kids and/or whole fam with 4by? single burner on 2kg bottle and/or fire with camp oven/s, skillet or grill etc. Can use camp ovens on single burner or in fire.

etc. etc. looking at those dual fuels as an alternative but not a replacement.

cheers.
AnswerID: 96840

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:57

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 19:57
I bought one of those single burner in black plastic case jobs today and a frypan...starts easily quite hot don't know how many hours you get per canister of gas...Big W has 12 packs of gas for $17...
AnswerID: 96846

Follow Up By: banjobush - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:20

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:20
i think you get 90 minutes per can, i am not sure but i think that is what it says on the can!! cheers
FollowupID: 355488

Follow Up By: GeeTee - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:37

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:37
Hi, The Gasmate type I have found are the greatest thing out. Easy to pack, self lighting, easy on gas and you can stand the case up as a windguard if need be. I have a couple of them and would not travel anywhere without them. Combined with a griddle iron you can cook up a great steak on one and do the vegies on the other.

GeeTee
FollowupID: 355492

Reply By: Squizzy - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:16

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:16
We use a double burner cast iron gas stove (only $30) they cook faster and the jets never block either. Gave up using those camping gas stoves (jackaroo, companion, etc).
If possible, we always cook over a fire with our hotplate and grill, better cooking too.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 96850

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:09

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:09
Yup the cast iron burners are fantastic. We use them for cooking roasts etc in the camp oven. You can leave em going for hours wihtout using bugger all gas.

For quick meals, toast, jaffels etc or boiling the kettle I have a primus burner that you just screw onto the top of the gas bottle. Fantastic for things that need to be hot and hot only as it uses a blue flame. Very quick and easy to grab out of the truck for a quick cuppa.
FollowupID: 355548

Reply By: MRTEE ( VIC ) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:43

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 20:43
We use a coleman 2 burner gas stove and a 1.25 kg bottle good for 4/5 days, used to carry a 3 kg with the elcheapo stove no regulator you get what you pay for in stoves, colman the best, some people like gas and some prefer fuel my gas stove has electronic ignition the rest dont, hope this helps when its really wet you need something. regards tony
AnswerID: 96856

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 21:57

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 21:57
thanks every one for replying to my post sounds like the coleman stove is the way to go thanks again every one cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 355500

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:02

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:02
In my quest to get rid of round hard to pack items I tossed the Gas out & went with the Coleman 2 burner multi fuel stove & a Coleman single. Both run on unleaded & put out the highest BTU of all the stoves. The little one is great for smoko or lunch stops & with all 3 burners the Mrs cooks up a storm. I have the Coleman Aluminium fold up oven which is brilliant for cooking bread, roasts & sweets.
I use a swing away BBQ hot plate & grill with pot holders which I've found is the easiest way to control the heat on the fire. I've tried the cast iron camp ovens but changed over to the King Billy spun steel type. Great results & heaps lighter with a lid that can be used as a pan.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 96868

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:14

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:14
Craig,

What's this fella > "Coleman Aluminium fold up oven"
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 355511

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:45

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:45
The Coleman oven is used on a gas or multi fuel stove & has a gauge to monitor the temp. They will fit a bread or cake tin, & do a small roast. Ideal when it's raining or no fires allowed. They fold flat to around 6cm.
Perfect too for nacho's, pizza, scones or reheating a meal. I've bought an extra wire shelf to cook on 2 levels. Looks a bit of a toy but have had great results so far.
Cheers Craig...........
store.4siteoutdoors.com/cocaov.html
FollowupID: 355551

Reply By: Lyds - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:14

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:14
you can't always rely on having the time or ability to have a fire.

I have a 2 burner coleman duel fuel and find thats sufficient. It can be a bit fiddly at first until you learn that having pressure is the key.

Its convenient if you run an unleaded car as well.

AnswerID: 96870

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:41

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:41
Peter,

We use a Coleman 2 burner gas stove. Over the years we've gone through a few gas stoves which were the cheaper brands bought at KMart or the like. The Coleman stove we have now costs a bit more but it is a much better unit and I regret not buying one sooner. Also had a 3-burner stove once but happily went back to a 2-burner. Recently we bought a single ring that fits straight on top of a gas bottle. We found this great for quickly boiling up the billy at smoko or lunch time.

I love cooking over an open fire but unfortunately in some places it is often difficult to have a fire due to lack of fire wood or fire restrictions. So don't rely on fires alone for cooking or you could find yourself munching on biscuits instead of stew.

We carry a small steel BBQ plate with screw in legs and use this on the fire but mostly I cook in a camp oven. Camp ovens are my preferred cooking item as they are great on the coals but also work well on the gas stove. I tend to favour one pot meals when camping - they're generally easy to prepare and cook and are tasty and hearty meal for everyone in the family. And remember, nothing like being in the great outdoors to work up an appetite.

I have a detailed list of our camp cooking set-up as well as some recipes up on our f family website. Feel free to check it out.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 96885

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 13:44

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 13:44
Companion 3 burner gas cheapy from BigW, companion single ring and the versatile Trangia. Have had the 3 burner for 11 years, the jets got blocked with sand once but is easily cleaned with the wire from inside freezer bag ties. The latest toy is the bedourie for damper and samosas.
Dean
AnswerID: 96939

Reply By: AdrianLR - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 21:24

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 21:24
If 4by & tent and a fire is possible then camp oven and metal stake in the ground over a second small pit with swing-away grill & hotplate (from a discarded Webber) and wok (great for everything from stirfries to scrambled eggs).

A mate brings his Coleman stove which does the pots and pans work.

The thing we probably use the most for little things is the $20 aerosol stove. We have a couple and take one on picnics with an aluminium gridle and to boil the kettle. One thing we've noticed is when it's cold, the gas pressure drops (particularly when the can is near empty) so keep a spare in your jacket pocket and swap them when the flame gets low.

Adrian
AnswerID: 97000

Sponsored Links