Know about towing ML Mercs, transmissions?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 21:42
ThreadID: 20153 Views:2824 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
A friend was relating his requirement to me the other day for some knowledge of setting up to tow his ML430 behind his motorhome. He has heard that in the US some have been able to set up a pump to lubricate the transmission to overcome the need to disconnect the driveshafts. He had not been able to get any hints/information from enquiries there. Until he can overcome the Merc problems he is inclined to tow his Hilux, but would like to travel in some style.

Has any one any knowledge please of how he could set up the lubrication and what would need to be done?

Sorry Hilux drivers, if you think I am inferring in this the Hilux doesn't have style. I guess I am and he is too. Have owned both myself so understand the difference of the style.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:05

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:05
Hi John

Some info
Primarily for front-wheel-drive vehicles with automatic transmissions; limited applications for rear-wheel-drive vehicles. Check with the transmission lube pump manufacturer first. Modern automatic transmissions are equipped with only an engine-driven front lubrication pump. When the towed vehicle is not running, the transmission pump is not pumping. Thus, an alternate lubrication source is necessary.

The lube pump components are installed in the engine compartment of the towed vehicle. The pump is powered by the motorhome and usually controlled by an electronic monitor mounted on or near its dashboard. Fluid is pumped through the transmission cooler in the radiator and then into the transmission lubrication system. Some lube pump manufacturers warranty not only the lube pump system, but also the towed vehicle's transmission.

This site has them for the ML430 lube pump
Cheers
Crazie
AnswerID: 96869

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:29

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:29
Adam, you have to get first prize for the quick response too. Thank you. Have you much sort of detail on the componentry requirements?

Guess we may catch up at Wandin, is that right?

FollowupID: 355505

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:43

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:43
Hi John

Only what I have read, I have had no first hand experience, can't afford a motorhome or a ml430 haha. Some more info below. I think the basics are a pump, hoses, cooling radiator and wiring with a dash mounted monitor in the motor home.

Yep will be a wandin, was almost there this weekend due to my mistake lol.. looking forward to meeting more EO crew.

have a great weekend

The Lube Pump is conveniently located under the engine hood, draws transmission fluid from the pan then pumps to the selector valve. This valve directs the fluid through the radiator cooler then into the lubrication system. REMCO's Lube Pump is powered from the motorhome's battery and fed into a small electronic monitor. The electronic monitor mounted near the motorhome driver, has a green light and a red light with an audible alarm that will alert the operator of any problems in the lubrication system including failure to turn the system on or failure to connect the electrical plug to the car.

One coiled electrical cable between the motorhome and car provides all the circuits for the pump, monitor and vehicle tail lights. For added convenience, REMCO has included a tail light diverter. Packet diverters automatically switch the car's tail light system to towing each time you hook up.The Lube Pump is conveniently located under the engine hood, draws transmission fluid from the pan then pumps to the selector valve. This valve directs the fluid through the radiator cooler then into the lubrication system. REMCO's Lube Pump is powered from the motorhome's battery and fed into a small electronic monitor. The electronic monitor mounted near the motorhome driver, has a green light and a red light with an audible alarm that will alert the operator of any problems in the lubrication system including failure to turn the system on or failure to connect the electrical plug to the car.

One coiled electrical cable between the motorhome and car provides all the circuits for the pump, monitor and vehicle tail lights. For added convenience, REMCO has included a tail light diverter. Packet diverters automatically switch the car's tail light system to towing each time you hook up.

FollowupID: 355506

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:01

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:01
Hey guys, sorry to part Hijack but I cant make Wandn now, I have been called to assist my Dad in Geelong on the day at the All Ford Show at Deakin
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 355529

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:47

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:47
Hey Bonz, you going Exploder next? hehehheh Reckon you musta bought the Baz car. Heather will go with me to Wandin.

Glad you have most of the state reconnected again now. Do we call you Storm Boy?
FollowupID: 355547

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 14:01

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 14:01
Well we got all our area back on, and no, Storm Boy took over from me on Thursday night at 1800hrs when we had most of it sorted, what a week!

Territory next sounds like a great thing, instead of a black XR, premium sound, sunroof, mmmmmmmm
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 355559

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 20:38

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 20:38
Well bonz

I know you had plent of things you wanted to buy,so just send me a blank cheque and I will pick you up a few presents.... lol

Thats a shame. Kir said something like p!ss poor excuse hahaha

cheers mate
Ads
FollowupID: 355597

Reply By: Savvas - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:14

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:14
I can't answer the trans pump question.

But why wouldn't you simply tow it on the back of a car trailer attached to the motorhome. Woudn't that save a lot of wear and tear on the ML?
AnswerID: 96871

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:26

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:26
Savvas, an A frame is a preference but the trailer is just another tonne to pull or close to it. I understand the kilometres don't add up with the electric speedometer from my reading today, with the electrics off.
FollowupID: 355504

Follow Up By: Savvas - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 06:56

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 06:56
fair enuff
FollowupID: 355527

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:41

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 22:41
John.
Interesting technical question. I would be inclined to put the transfer case in neutral and leave the auto alone, if you were concernad about the transfer case droping back in to gear on a bump you could lock the selector shaft some how. From memory than transfer case has an optional power take of which would sugest a neutral detent is alowed for in the design. If you like I could chase that for you. Eric.
AnswerID: 96877

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:10

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:10
Eric, the gear selector would have to be in neutral I am sure. I am sure this is an auto box, but not been in it. There is no other way with just a dashboard switch to select low ratio. I am not sure what it is like underneath though. I would appreciate more knowledge for all that thanks.
FollowupID: 355510

Follow Up By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:35

Saturday, Feb 05, 2005 at 23:35
John.
There are two seperate boxes for auto and transfer case. The transfer case is moved with a vaccum actuator controlled by the computor, The mod you would require may involve manualy moving the transfer selector, still a hell of alot easier than removing the drive shafts. Eric.
FollowupID: 355513

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:42

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:42
Eric, am sure your comments and those of Adam above will be of interest as the friend had not been able to glean much info previously but knew people towed them in the US. Actually he has a son with a lot od electronics/computer nouse too. It would certainly fool thieves. LOL No drive system mate.

I acknowledge Herkman below - what is recognised, is not always what people can chose to follow up. I have my Nissan suspension beefed beyond what Nissan recognise to one that will support a load.
FollowupID: 355544

Follow Up By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:12

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:12
John.
I have had a look at the 320 transfer case, it uses an electric motor very similar to a windscreen wiper to turn a screw that preloads a spring which moves the selector falk, all that would be required would be a micro switch in the nuatral position to stop the motor in the right spot, piece of cake for the son. Eric.
FollowupID: 355935

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:30

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:30
Eric,

thank you for that. I have emailed your post on to Frank and he should be able to get a better understanding on the issue. If it were as simple as just being able to flick a switch to select neutral, it would make you wonder at the Americans and their other arrangements for pumps. There would be nothing requiring meshing in that area though for lubrication so it would sound a really neat solution.

Thanks again............
FollowupID: 355985

Reply By: herkman - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:48

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:48
MB do not approve of the ML being flat towed. Only acceptable way is to put it on a trailer,

Regards

Herkman
AnswerID: 96909

Reply By: Simon C - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 13:46

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 13:46
Can not offer any info on the lube pump, but before your mate goes to the trouble, and expense.....he may want to check on the legalities of "A" framing the vehicle behind the motor Home. Unless it's under 750kg (??????), i beleive you need to have a braking system that works in conjunction with the motor home.

There was a simalar post a few months ago ??????

Simon
AnswerID: 97091

Sponsored Links