another front diff locker question

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 02:17
ThreadID: 20161 Views:2124 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My troopie has a Lokka in the front and an air locker in the rear diff.

Now, somebody said recently that Lokka's are no good in snow as the wheels dont unlock when turning a corner.
So, what if I unlock just one of the freewheeling hubs? Do I then get a 3WD?

I would assume that the wheel with the locked hub gets full drive power since the Lokka is designed to unlock the faster spinning shaft/wheel.

Am I assuming right or is this a silly idea? It might also be useful to know the answer when driving in slippery mud.

thanks,
Klaus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:24

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:24
The lokka will stay locked . It can only open when it gets torque from the tyre . If you unlock the hub , it will still drive the locked wheel . This one way around it . I dont understand why yo uhave set it up ass about . Your Lokka should be in the rear and the air locker in the front. If you had a detroit or a lockright locker , then you might have issues . From memory they work on slip , so would bang around a bit I would imagine
AnswerID: 96905

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 15:02

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 15:02
Yes you will unlock the front diff, but you will essentially be back to rear only drive...the loka needs pressure or resistance to turn to keep the teeth engaged, the springs wont hold the drive with one wheel hub unlocked.
I had this setup on my 60, and after i hit a tree from a power steer into it, i sold the loka and put the lsd ctr in the front instead.
Andrew
AnswerID: 96945

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 00:32

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 00:32
Hi Klaus,

Unlocking one hub will result in all drive going to the other wheel. As for needing pressure to lock the diff, it actually needs pressure to UNLOCK the diff (thats why it unlocks when overspeeding driven speed, not underspeeding driven speed). If there is no pressure, the diff stays locked and you will have drive to the wheel with the hub locked in (as well as drive to the axle shaft of the unlocked hub side).

I can see why you asked the question, but my experience in mud driving has been that if the locker cannot unlock due to lack of traction, then the steering doesn't respond through lack of traction as well. Basically you will have difficulty steering whether in 2, 3 or 4WD simply because there is little traction available.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 97026

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:19

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:19
Thanks for the comment. I couldn't follow the snow comment either. If there is not enough traction on ice or snow to unlock the lokka, can't be much traction for steering either. I suppose it depends what the threshold is for unlocking. Not having driven one, maybe there could be just traction enough to steer, but not to unlock the lokka?
FollowupID: 355657

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:38

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:38
It could be the threshold between unlocking and steering, but the Lockrite has a very low threshold, unlike the detroit lokka that needs more traction to unlock, that it would be marginal at best. Either way I would much prefer to have the front locked, but thats just me!

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 355697

Sponsored Links