Bull bars - NSW

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:30
ThreadID: 20164 Views:3699 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
An article in todays Sun Herald indicates that police are going to enforce this from 1st March --- (from the RTA website)

"Protrusions on vehicles
Some vehicles are fitted with badly designed bull bars with pointed corners and sharp edges, and some are fitted with accessories which protrude beyond the bumper bar or bull bar.

Protrusions and some methods of attachment to the front of vehicles present a danger to other road users and increase the likelihood of injury or damage to a person or another vehicle making contact with the vehicle. An accessory or bull bar fitted to a vehicle must therefore be attached in a manner that does not affect the continuing compliance of the vehicle with the Australian Design Rules and Regulations.

This information covers only the roadworthiness requirements for equipment fitted to the front of vehicles. These roadworthiness requirements and the relevant construction safety standards will be reviewed after Standards Australia completes a proposed Australian Standard on bull bars.

Fitting of accessories
Of particular concern are the ways in which items protruding forward of the bumper or bull bar are fitted eg. accessory fittings attached to the exterior of a vehicle such as brackets supporting aerials and lights.

Also of concern are bull bars that have sharp edges and pointed corners or bull bars fitted with accessory attachments such as fishing rod holders, lights and mounting brackets for such fittings, and any fittings that affect the field of view of the driver.

For safety reasons it is illegal to have:

Any attachment or protrusion projecting forward of bull bar or bumper bar which presents a danger to other road users.
Note that any aerials or winches which cannot meet this requirement should be removed after the operational need is completed. Emergency and rescue (State Rescue Board-accredited rescue vehicles, mines rescue) vehicles may have a constant operational need for this equipment and will not be rejected. Minor protrusions forward of the bull bar or bumper bar such as a spotlight, or fairleads required for the operation of a winch, where the mounting brackets do not protrude, are permitted providing the protrusion is the minimum necessary and is blunt or protected to minimise any risk of injury to vulnerable road users.
Any sharp or ragged edge or corner on a bull bar which could cause injury to a person coming into contact with the bull bar.
Any bull bar or other attachment that does not allow the driver a view of the road and of the traffic to the front and side of the vehicle so that the driver can drive the vehicle safely.
The RTA has issued Vehicle Inspector's Bulletin No. 5 to Inspectors and Authorised Examiners explaining the inspection requirements to them. For further information on protrusions to the front of vehicles, please contact RTA Technical Enquiries on 1300 137 302."

Tessa

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:57

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:57
Few! If I get hit by a bullbar now on a car doing 60km/hr, now at least I'll be ok... Wouldn't want a spotlight or anything on there, that'd be dangerous!

And as far as passenger vehicles and vans go I just plain walk out in front of those without a worry as they are safe to get hit by.
AnswerID: 96927

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:22

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:22
Whats the issue, this has been law for years.
AnswerID: 96932

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 15:47

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 15:47
sounds ok if that is all they are doing shouldnt effect to many people as most arial holders pont backwards few rod holders may need removing. Sounds like the average winch will be ok
AnswerID: 96950

Reply By: Savvas - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 18:20

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 18:20
If winch protrusions are a worry, then it honestly wouldn't be too difficult to come up with a cover that would protect it in urban areas, but can be removed prior to work off road.
AnswerID: 96962

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 22:14

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 22:14
G'day Savvas,

These have been available for a while from the likes of WARN etc; but like most things......not cheap!!! One of the blokes in our club has a neat fitting over his fairlead which also carries his number plate. I think it just snaps on/off, but maybe held on by something else too.

Looks good, but I think they're over $100-
FollowupID: 355609

Reply By: Member - Landie - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:36

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:36
My q
AnswerID: 96984

Reply By: Member - Landie - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:38

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:38
Does a HF (Autotune) antenna meet the standard? Ours is fitted to the bullbar, the bracket is behind the bar. My concern is that it doesn't meet the field of vision test, however the standard doesn't appear to give guidance on it.

Any thoughts?
AnswerID: 96985

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:49

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:49
If you have a forward mounted autotune and a suicidal pedestrian jumps in front of you, my gut feeling is that your insurance company will wipe its hands of you. Check with them before leaving home :(((
FollowupID: 355588

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 20:02

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 20:02
I had no problem with my insurance company (RAC), when a kid on his bike jumped out in front of me , with my forward mounted antenna.

BTW even the cops admitted it, it was the bull bar that saved the kid from more series injury or even (god forbid) death. the bull bar pushed the kid away and to the side of the car, without it he would have gone under the front wheel.

So I reckon this bull bar c#$p is an avenue these minority, brainless ill informed so called experts use as one of there reasons to ban 4bys

Clive
FollowupID: 355591

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:34

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:34
Landie,

With the HF antenna will have to go to the back of the vehicle soon. In Vic the rules there are, nothing bigger than 30mm wide is allowed in the of vision. I think that is the right size however the HF antenna is well over the permitted size. I also belive that vehicles from other states are getting booked if they go south of the border with on of these antennaes.
NSW is going the same way, I don't know how hard it would be to extend the cables and remount the antenna but I would be putting it on the "to do" list.

Wayne
FollowupID: 355646

Follow Up By: Member - Landie - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:55

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 08:55
Hi Wayne

Currently it appears to meet the NSW requirement - that is nothing forward of the bar.

Technically there isn't a problem to mount it on the rear, although it may not work as well (it isn't an exact science!).

As far as the NSW standards go it should pass at present. A quick call to the RTA this morning indicates this is also the case. That isn't to say that NSW won't eventaully fall into line with standards in other States.

I'm puzzled that vehicles have been booked in other States that have a different standard. As far as I am aware you only need to meet the standard for the State in which the vehicle is registered - not disputing it happens, just wondering whether it would stick?

The NSW RTA indicated that if fined I would be issued with a defect notice and that it would be a simple case of taking the vehicle to an RTA site to demonstrate it complies with the current standard.

I suspect it sounds easier than the case will be. I case I'll just keep a watching brief.

Thanks for your thoughts

Regards.......

Baz
FollowupID: 355649

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:15

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:15
Landie,

It is the field of vision that is causing the problem.

I have noticed that Telcom and Police vehicles that have the antenna, are now fitted on the back of there vehicles.

Another reason why the Sat Phone is better lol.

Wayne
FollowupID: 355654

Follow Up By: Member - Landie - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:22

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:22
Further to my previous follow-up, further enquiries have revealed that anything mounted on top of the bull-bar, such as a HF Radio auto-tune antenna, will not meet the standard. The way it was put to me was that even UHF antennas could be deemed not to meet the standard (in NSW).

Although it appears that the Victorian authority has that covered on the diameter issue. There is no mention of that in the NSW standard.

So technically the HF antenna does not meet the standard now, and whilst the standard hasn't changed, it seems they are about to start enforcing it.

Whilst the first RTA guy I spoke to didn't elaborate the entire standard, the other guy I spoke with did - just goes to show the confusion at there end!

I guess we will move it to the rear, it will save the grief I suspect.

Landie
FollowupID: 355659

Reply By: Poppy - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 20:29

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 20:29
Seen a 100 series in Townsville last week with a 20hp outboard hanging off his bullbar... good for shunting shopping trollies,or getting through flooded causeways
Cheers Poppy
AnswerID: 96994

Sponsored Links