Narva relays

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:00
ThreadID: 20171 Views:4870 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to buy a couple of relays to wire up some driving lights and I'll also be fitting a headlight kit which will also require some additional power.

The Narva catelogue shows three different types of relay, ie Resistor, Diode and and one with neither. It appears the resistor and diode are across the trigger terminal and earth.

I have concluded that the diode type is not required for my purposes??? but I cannot understand the purpose of the resistor. Is it to protect the coil when the relay is engaged for long periods??

Will I be right in using the type that has neither the resister or the diode?? The relays are at: http://www.narva.com.au/Switches_18.html

Thanks in anticipation!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:10

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:10
Howdy Leigh, from the URL you gave above:

Narva relays are available with resistors or diodes to protect sensitive electronic equipment from the damage of voltage spikes. A relay with a resistor dampens a voltage spike while allowing the current through, while a diode cuts the power and stops the spike completely.
AnswerID: 96920

Reply By: drivesafe - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:48

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 12:48
Hi Luxoluk, MadDog is correct and no matter what you drive, today, you should fit a relay with some sort of suppression fitted to.
The Resistor type has the advantage of NOT being polarised but the Diode type gives the best protection but you must wire it up with the correct polarity.
If you are replacing existing relays, use the Resistor type but if you are wiring everything up yourself then spend the time and use the Diode type, just take care that you do wire the coil of the relay the right way.

Cheers
AnswerID: 96934

Sponsored Links