Nissan Patrol choice

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 16:23
ThreadID: 20181 Views:2370 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I am trying to decide between a new Nissan Patrol ST wagon and the DX. It would seem that the additional ST features are 2 extra seats, dual airbags, cruise control, leather steering wheel and a better music system. As these extra features are not particularly important to me are there other considerations to be made. Also would the 17 inch wheels be a drawback in country towns.

Thankyou

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pauls - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 16:25

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 16:25
Sorry thats the 17 inch wheels on the ST wagon

Paul
AnswerID: 96952

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 17:28

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 17:28
Hi paul, I have an ST patrol, which also has electric windows and ABS, on top of the other things you mentioned, and I now wish I had got the standard DX.

Yes, I love electric windows, except when the keys aren't handy and it starts to rain, getting the internals of the door wet are a good way to stuff up electric windows, and the windows rattle like crazy if they are only wound down 3 or 4 inches. Also, that improved sound system you mention isn't that great ! It also fills the whole dash. I am thinking of putting in a good CD - tuner, which will give me room to fit a UHF in the dash instead of behind the centre console, where it is now.

Better seats and carpet are also on the ST, but Mine now has red dust on parts of the interior near the rear doors, and its proving to be difficult to get out, but the biggest thing I don't like about the ST is the plastic flares on the wheel arches.

I have had to replace the left rear flare already, and the two pieces cost me over $700, at trade price !!!! Also, unlike the 80 series cruiser flares which seem to resist scratching, mine are all scatched from the overgrowth on bush tracks etc; and I'm unsure about being able to rub them out with fine wet 'n dry. Although I have seen them painted with good results.

The DX doesn't have these plastic bits, and also a bonus for me would've been the 16 inch split rims. I don't mind 'em at all, having had a 45 series tojo with splits.

The main reason I ended up with an ST was the auto box, which I don't think you can get in the DX, and all the second hand DX I looked at were thrashed !

In the end it depends if you want the vehicle to be mums taxi, or if you are going to fit it out with storage systems & shelving, and basically give it a really hard time.

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 96958

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 17:37

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 17:37
I've got an auto DX so they are available. Washed the vinyl floor down yesterday and it looks like new again, fitted a CD Tuner as you suggested only missing out on the rear door speakers which i can live with.
FollowupID: 355574

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 18:18

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 18:18
Hi There,

The new model DX now has plastic flares while the ST has the steel flares (like a 100 series). Doesn't make sense to me as the plastic flares do scratch/break easily and a DX is more likely to see hard work.

I had a standard 80 series (similiar to DX features) before I got my GU ST and gotta admit that I do like the features like electric windows (have rewired to a switch so no need for keys to operate) and mirrors, central locking etc. But I have removed the rear seats for a storage system (see rig pic) and added sandgrabba mats which do a real good job of protecting the carpet (but still not "hoseable" like my 80 series).

Bottom line is, its a personal decision as either ST or DX does the same job, its only the trimmings that change. All I can say is I am glad I went the ST over the DX, but at times cringe when I clean it.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 355575

Follow Up By: H2O - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:30

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:30
Captain,
How did you go about wiring up the elect. windows to a switch? I am very keen to do the same I assume then they could be wired up to the accessories instead of a switch? That is certainly one thing that drives me crazy!
JD
FollowupID: 355663

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:29

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:29
Hi H20,

Its pretty simple really. On the fuse box near the steering column (NOT the one under the bonnet) simply remove the fuse for the power windows and connect a permant supply (fused of course) to the +ve side of the now empty fuse holder. I simply jumped a connection from an existing perm power in the fuse box. I cannot remember the fuse position numbers, but if you have any problems finding the right fuse just let me know and I will check my vehicle.

Note that this is not the circuit that actually powers the windows but the control circuit for it, hence realtively small wires are OK here.

I put a switch in and can select between ign and perm power. The reason for this is that the power window circuit draws something like 2 amps when not in use. I am not sure why it does this, one would expect that if the windows are not in use then there would be no power draw. But having said that, I have left the switch in perm position and have never had a problem even after a weekend (maybe it times out after a while???).

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 355693

Follow Up By: H2O - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 14:11

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 14:11
Captain that sounds easy so i'll give it a go. Only question is as you are putting power into a ign circuit while it is off will that power go and power other ign equipment - if you know what I mean?
Cheers
JD
FollowupID: 355721

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 15:06

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 15:06
I know what you mean, and I haven't found anyhthing yet that is also permantly on.

I have had this running for many months and haven't had a problem. I got this of the yahoo Patrol forum so I am not the first (by a long shot) to use it and so far no reported issues there either.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 355725

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:01

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:01
Go the ST, get it detailed once a year, and enjoy the extra's, 16" aftermarket wheels will fit for your offroad tyres, and dual airbags have to be worth the expense, as Im sure none of want to be the driver that got away unscathed, sitting in a hospital explaining to our passenger how much money we saved when we ordered the car without airbags.......
AnswerID: 96971

Reply By: joc45 - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:30

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:30
Paul,
All the extra bits on the ST represent good value when you see the diff in price between the two models. The resale is better as well. I've managed to keep the ST reasonably clean over the last 5 yrs, despite some rough treatment, and mats will keep your carpet safe. Wish they'd bring out some non-metallic colours in the paintwork, tho; metallic does not go well on thickly overgrown tracks, and white is so, well.., boring. Have occasionally seen a plain red one, but that's not listed in the colour schemes. Agree with the comment on the plastic wheel arches - they break and are very expensive. Having had split rims, now seem to prefer the steel safety rims, tho with the new 17's, I did run into a guy recently in a rental who had a 17" tyre go in the Kimberly, and it was going to take over a week to get a new one in for him, and that was flying it in. He drove back to Kununurra on nil spares. Scarey!
Gerry
AnswerID: 96979

Reply By: JR - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:21

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:21
Guys,
A bit late but Cooper have ST in 10ply 17 inch to suit new Patrols. Just be sitting down whenyou ask How much?
JR
AnswerID: 97223

Sponsored Links