LPG Bottle expiry Dates

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 19:45
ThreadID: 20184 Views:17342 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We've all had trouble at some time getting LPG bottles refilled when they are past their 10year expiry date so I though it a good idea to use the swap and go service.

Apart from being quicker you get an incode bottle back (so I thought).

At a Victor Harbor Servo I exchanged my 1997 for a SnG bottle for $26 and on return to the CP I noted even though it was freshly painted, the valve was obviously new it had not been restamped with service date. I took it back as I am leaving on some trips soon and don't want the hassles or expenses of trying to refill expired bottles. I understand they won't let expired bottles on the Tassie ferry either.

"Its no problems we'll take it back and refill it any time" they said. They were mightily miffed when I suggested I wanted another one, but hey its my money right.

Well I got my recently stamped bottle 08/2002 and doth think I won't go back there again.

There, its off my chest.

Russell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 21:09

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 21:09
i keep all reciepts and record bottle no on reciept... i expect a reasonable period of time to chew out a 10kg bottle...
have been thru this once and if this problem arises again I will not give up my money without fight!!!
took me ages to get a credit for a full cylinder that leaked when you turned the valve on..it leaked thru the valve stem... they didnt want to know me!!!

AnswerID: 96998

Reply By: joc45 - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 21:26

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 21:26
There are bottle re-certifying stations around - certainly around Perth. Had a gas bottle re-certified for about $15 about 4 yrs ago. New valve, tested and re-date-stamped, no probs refilling now. Found them in the yellow pages.
Gerry
AnswerID: 97001

Reply By: MartyB - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 22:40

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 22:40
I had a better experience with swap & go's
I had a 2002 bottle that was going rusty, easier to swap it instead of painting it. Took it to the nearest woolworths servo & swapped it. Replacement bottle was stamped 2003, attendant mentioned they don't bother checking expiry dates. So I went to the local dump shop & paid $4 for an out of date bottle.
Took this one in & swapped it, got a bottle stamped 11/2004.
I'm happy.
AnswerID: 97014

Reply By: bundyman - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 07:58

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 07:58
Also be carefull buying "cheap" new bottles. Went to a camping store that had a special on 2kg bottles - $15, and a well known brand. Wow what a bargain I thought until I was taking a closer look the other day and found it will expire within 2 years.......hmmm they're obviously trying to get rid of them before they do expire. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Cheers,
Hughesy
AnswerID: 97038

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 20:43

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 20:43
yeah I had heaps of probs with swap & go cylinders...didn't check the date - it was out of date before I got it & they wouldn't take it back. I found a place that recertifies them & stamps a new date on in the yellow pages... though you could do it yourself. This guy looks at the bottle says wait 10 mins... I saw him repace the valve & stamp X's over the date & stamp on a new date, fill the bottle -$20 thanks... great test...
AnswerID: 97149

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 20:52

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 20:52
Russell,

When I went to Tassie by ferry they would not allow any gas bottles at all. Check before you go because I went 4 years ago and the rules might have changed.

Wayne
AnswerID: 97151

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:53

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:53
You will now find that provided the gas bottle is no larger than 9.00 kgm and the test date is stamped on the bottle with the inspection date within 10 years, then you are allowed to carry it on the ferry provided it is declared at the check-in .They then stow it in an appropriate container for the passage across. You then collect it at the other end. Cheers.
FollowupID: 355789

Sponsored Links