Ice Boxes are they any good?

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 23:04
ThreadID: 20192 Views:2771 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HI,
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Ice Boxes?
If so what are the opinions.
What would the price difference be between using a gas powered fridge and buying ice for a ice box.
Evakool range say that after 7 days there was still 17kg of ice left out of 36kg.
see it here: Evakool

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 23:26

Sunday, Feb 06, 2005 at 23:26
G'day Craig,

we've got a 3-way fridge and as others will advise, they are very economical on gas and poor on 12v. The Finch we used to have would run for about 2 weeks on a 4kg gas bottle.

Ice boxes, I am also currently investigating and plan to get one. Just now deciding on a poly vs fibreglass. Think I'm going to got for a Tropical poly. Had a look at them and the insulation is fantastic. Also, I prefer the poly as it is going to get bounced around a bit in the back of the ute.

The reason we are getting an ice box, is that our current esky won't keep a bag of ice frozen longer than 24 hours. The reason we want a fridge AND an ice box, is because we will keep drinks in the ice-box and food in the fridge. I've had enough of icy water sogged cheese sandwiches. We'll keep some drinks in the fridge but the bulk of unopened fruit juice cans etc in the ice-box.

Couple of other things:

1. You have to factor in the room for ice if you aren't using a fridge, so it naturally has to be bigger.

2. A fridge will keep stuff cold for as long as you have gas, whereas you will need to be only a few days between ice.

3. Use frozen containers, like milk containers full of water instead of bags of party ice. Will keep longer, don't fill the icebox full of water and you can drink it or recycle it at the end.

IMHO you may need both. In any case, that's the decicion we have come to.

Cheers,

Smocky.
AnswerID: 97019

Follow Up By: Paul - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 00:44

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 00:44
Smocky,

If you mix in a couple of teaspoons of salt into the milk containers and deep freeze them, they last even longer than plain frozen water.......

Down side is you cannot drink it, can recycle it though :-)

Paul
FollowupID: 355636

Reply By: ianmc - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 00:03

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 00:03
Page 14 of current Trad Post (Tents & Camping has color adv for tough lockable ice boxes 5-15 days they say, 60lt$129, with free packs of tetra packs in Melbourne, will freight $10-
Havnt seen them but considering one myself.
AnswerID: 97023

Reply By: rolande- Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 01:53

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 01:53
Craig,
If you go away for week-ends and short trips they are great. If going for any longer, invest in a proper fridge.
We have a 100Ltr Waeco cool box to store all food for our shorter trips, use frozen milk cartons to keep the thing cool - cheaper than buying ice.
Rolande
AnswerID: 97032

Reply By: vuduguru - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:58

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:58
Hi Craig,
I have been using Evakools, both fibreglass and plastic for a couple of years. For trips up to a week I find the practicallity over a fridge a no brainer. I use 2 litre milk bottles cleaned and refilled with drinking water. I have 4 kids who always leave them open and the worst I get is a bout 4 days. Keep the beer seperate it will last longer and you can swap bottles to the food esky. Even petrol station ice will last 3 days. Note plastic and fibreglass last about the same. I dropped the fibreglass when loading the boat and cracked the exterior. Poly is obviously tougher. No extra batteries, no stuffing around charging, just ice cold beer.
PS get 47 or 60 litre models, my neighbour bought a 110 and he and his 18yr old son struggle to lift a fully loaded esky into the truck. Make great seats too.
Shane
AnswerID: 97035

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:28

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:28
I've got a Waeco 65l Icebox. (Much like the EvaKool ones).

The frozen Milk bottles make the best ice , and reusable water supply.
AnswerID: 97056

Reply By: Coops (Ex-Pilbara) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:58

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:58
I have a Baileys style (sold at K-Mart but made by Evakool) and can't fault it. Claims of 7 days would be correct if kept shaded. I used to get 3-4 full days in direct Pilbara sun and can't ask for any more as while ice would have melted the esky is still very cold.
I wish they made one in a 25 litre range is my only complaint.
AnswerID: 97066

Reply By: MrBitchi - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:11

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:11
After many many years of mucking around with ice boxes/eskies I finally bought a fridge (Waeco 50LT). The only thing I use the esky for now is the odd fish that suicides on my hook :-)

Get a fridge.

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 97067

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:40

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 11:40
ice boxes/eskies take a bit more management as it can be a pita if your meat ends up sitting underwater. Great for drinks and keeping your catch and bait real cold. price difference is a bit irrelevent as they both have different qualities and draw backs. I reckon your fridge will be more convenient for your style of travel. Also you cant be garanteed of ice supplies. Had a good day out on a charter boat at Dampier and struggled to get ice at tom price ended up paying far to much for homemade iceblocks
AnswerID: 97076

Reply By: Markymark - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:43

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 13:43
I bought a 150litre IceKool box, made by Evakool. They're light blue and not as well finished as there white boxes, but that suites me better cause I'm not scared to scratch it and it feels tough! Took it up the Murray River last Easter, lined bottom with frozen 2lt milk bottles and after 4-5 days the bottles were still half frozen. Was quite hot, 30+, but kept it in shade and threw silver tarp over it too. And yes it took 2 of us to lift it out the back of wagon, bloody heavy when full. But after years of running out of ice with normal eskies I was stoked. Cost $359 from Aussie Disposals. Also make good party drinks box at home!
AnswerID: 97448

Sponsored Links